[Problem] Lenovo ThinkStation P3 Ultra Type 30HB - BIOS Update Failure

Hello Guys,

So, i’m having a P3 Ultra and tried to update the BIOS to the latest version but i keep getting error. I also tried to update using Windows. It says Update Successful and then when i restart, the same old existing BIOS is there.

From the USB, here is the error i get:

The USB was prepared from the Official Lenovo site. I’ve been able to update my P330 Tiny without any issue. What could be the problem?

Also, a weird thing i noticed is the Boot Block Revision Level shows 0.00.

The system is with i5-13600.

Please help @plutomaniac @MeatWar

Thank you

Edit by Fernando: Thread title shortened and customized

What is the exact product number (or serial number) of the machine? What exactly is the file (package) you tried?

The product number is: 30HBA07MCW and its Lenovo ThinkStation P3 Ultra

I tried the following BIOS:
s0jjy1busa.exe
s0jj31busa.zip

@westlake I’m thinking like i should update with the FPT. What do you think?

The message “ERROR: Secure Flash Rom Verify fail.” indicates that the source file is not for that machine, or that the file is not from the factory. However, in this case, it is not one of these that is causing the error. I only see one type of Lenovo P3 Ultra (30HB), so it could not be that you downloaded the wrong BIOS for the machine. Is it possible that the machine is no longer factory? By this I mean that you may have had to replace the motherboard for some reason. It is possible that after the replacement, a required data was not entered in the motherboard.

Not sure about that cause, i dumped the ROM using /o command and when tried to update it using the same file which i backed up, i get the following error:

I backed up using AfuEfix64.efi /o

I used AfuEfix64.efi from the same s0jj31busa folder which was obtained from official website.

Product not found

And no backups made with generic AMI tools will succeed, Lenovo has its own signature/capsule/security measures.
Do yourself a favor and contact Lenovo before ruin a perfect running system.
And you never specified witch bios version you’re in…making big jumps across versions, if that’s the case, sometimes not the best option.
I’m going to disagree with the option “Under Windows”… a running OS on the background of a bios update can always be the source of a flashing failed update as seen plenty of times in the past from several OEM’s, if the pure UEFI/DOS (USB package) update fails, there’s something behind it… i would try to CRL CMOS and try one time if still fails, i would contact Lenovo before taking any further risks.

You’re the one person with its own Serial Number, (we don’t need to know that), so this preferable to use against the Product Number.

Try under Windows. I was going to suggest backing up the existing BIOS.
AFUWINx64.EXE /O
(S0JJY1BUSA pack)

You could also share the file.

@MeatWar

In this case, the part after 30HB has no meaning at all. It only refers to the exact configuration of the machine. There is only one such machine in terms of BIOS.

@Fastline

Don’t go in that direction, that’s not the reason for the mistake. The BIOS you downloaded is for your machine.

Please have a look here:

The chassis on the front says P3 Ultra and as far as I’m aware, there is only one P3 Ultra.

The machine i have was bought from eBay so not sure if that’s the issue. The current BIOS and the EC version and the ME version are attached in the first post.

I can PM you guys the Serial Number, just in case.

Thanks

Here is the dumped file from the using AfuEfix64.efi /o

I had to upload on Google Drive as i was unable to attach the file here.

Sorry, which direction are you talking about friend?

This is just a backup of the bios region and it’s version S0JKT08A which no longer can be downloaded, so impossible to compare.

I’d suggest to try an update closer/close to the actual version and see if this works out- S0JKT0AA is the one closest:
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_bios/s0jjy0Ausa.exe

But I’d suggest trying to get a complete update of the firmware with fpt before continuing.

Tried it using Windows and also from USB method and the result is the same. I also tried the Lenovo Commercial Vantage and it shows the same update but it fails to update the BIOS. Could it be some jumper? I mean there are some maintenance jumper on the logic board. Maybe that disables secure flash or something like that?

What do you mean by get a complete update? Do you mean backing up the current BIOS installed? If so, how do i do that? The machine is running i5-13600 and the chipset is W680. What version of fpt to use? I have backed up and flashed the BIOS successfully using fpt on my Z390. But as far as i’m aware, the fpt varies and only correct version of fpt should be used to avoid corruption and failures.

Did you disable Secure Boot as Lenovo recommends, USB method?
You don’t know what that system went through…since you bought it on ebay…

The system has ME v16, some system boards have a so called Service_jumper, ME_DIS etc… This is the jumper that unlocks certain access to the SPI regions, including ME for read/write operations. This jumper is NOT required (unless OEM instructions) to touch for regular bios updates.
Modern system bioses, full dumps, sizes varies from 16 and 32Mb, with 1 or 2 ICs for bios and ME./EC etc
As lfb6 mentioned…the backup you made its only bios region, not a full dump.
And yes form the 008 to the latest its indeed a big jump… not speaking of other FW updates on the system webpage support, TB, USB BMC etc…

Yes, i disabled the Secure Boot Mode. Cleared the Factory installed keys as well. I also enabled BIOS Rollback.

There is Service jumper for sure. The logic board has three settings: 1-3=ME_Dis, 2-4=Default, 5-6=CMOS CLEAR (FW). I’ve never updated the BIOS using jumper settings and i’m not sure where the PIN starts from. I’ve attached the image of the jumper. Can you please mark which PINS to short and try to flash the firmware?
Screen Shot 2024-09-01 at 12.25.53 AM

On this forum, i got CSME System Tools v16.1 r0.rar and backed it up using the fpt tool and have obtained an original dump and the size is actually 33.6MB. Let me know if you want to have a look at the BIOS. I tried to flash the same dump but then it says, file too big. I think the system definitely has 2 BIOS chips. Not sure if one is master and the other is backup.

Please PM if you cannot post the CSME tool link. I’ve not tried to flash cause, i’m not sure which version of fpt exactly to use. I think first we should try with the jumper settings and if it fails, we should backup the whole BIOS dump using the correct version of fpt and then try to flash the newest BIOS or the oldest BIOS available on the Lenovo site and if flashing the oldest, upgrade normally from USB method one by one to the latest. Let me know what do you think!

Simple as the board label, shorting pin 1&3 enable the state.

Why flashing “blind” the same dump… if its corrupted, corrupted will be…FPT tool flashes “EVERY” data without checking human error or its content, users with no knowledge of this tool can incur in a death system.

DO NOT do any flashes to the system, leave the system as IT IS for now, you have now a backup and if you want to share it for further analysis, post a link of it.

EDIT: There is no update package of you current version, as lfb6 stated.

“i got CSME System Tools v16.1 r0.rar”
Thats the tools package, i don’t need to link anything else…didn’t you made just now a backup with it??? the same tool reads and writes.
How did you got that mentioned 33.6Mb…

Please write a constructive dialog for a clear understanding of your actions, your writing seems like a boat in a tumbled sea…back and fourth…

And RUSHING is the mother of plenty death motherboards…this is a user forum with users living a real life outside…they DONT live here, they will help when they can, understood, else go to LENOVO or the guy in eBay.

Can you mark the pins please?

Well, i was trying to see whether i can flash the backup BIOS or it has the same issue as when flashing the backup BIOS.

Yeah, sure. Here’s the link to the BIOS obtained from fpt tool v16.1

Yes, that’s right. I’m aware that the tool can read and write. But when i dumped the BIOS from the tool, it gave me a 33MB file. That’s what i’m trying to say. Also, a weird thing is this machine has two Intel Ethernet chips but the FPT says no Gbe region found which is kinda weird.

:roll_eyes:

I understand your point friend. Not rushing just updating the thread whatever i have come across or whatever i’ve tried or as asked by the members. If i had to rush, i had the tool yesterday. I could have went and flashed the newest BIOS with it already, but i didn’t do that even when i had a success with my Z390 AORUS MASTER Motherboard.

Do you have any idea why the official BIOS is having problem flashing?

No i do not.

Sir…don’t you see the pins labels in the PCB ? (Lousy foto still…)
Should be like this…your visual inspection is your confirmation.

EDIT: This is NOT your board example i posted…just an illustration…

Your’s should be…if logic correct like this, so look again cause i see a PIN2 there:
2 4 6
1 3 5

Similar issue i believe:
BIOS-Update-Utility-10-11-S0JKT13A-install-failing - English Community - LENOVO COMMUNITY

Be sure to do the CMOS procedure according the Maintenace Guide on p38 exactly as instructed, before trying again.

Sorry to say but on my board, there are not 1, 2, and markings like that. That’s why have attached the picture. Please help

So, which pin to jumper and try to flash the bios?

If this is a pic of your board then maybe it’s the missing default jumper that’s causing the error?

I see a (possible) pin one dot and a 2 that might be related to this connector:

Take a sharp picture from directly above (90 degree angle to the board) and post it if unsure.