Problem with my optane module

Hello, I want to apologize in advance for my bad English.

I want to thank you for allowing me to put my 9900k on my GigabyteZ270Gaming 5 everything is really stable at the moment.

I only encounter a problem quite annoying since I modded the bios and I replace my cpu my Intel optane module no longer wants to pair with my hdd. The module is detected as ssd but I no longer have the optane option on the RST software.

I of course make all the settings in the Bios with RSTpremium and I try a clear Cmos.

I think the RSTpremium version is not up to date with my 9900k in my bios and I do not really know how to fix it.

I’m sending you a copy of my modded bios

Could you help me ?

Thank you in advance

Bios.rar (5.34 MB)

@Fanplayer1 :
What has your modded BIOS to do with the Sub-Forum “Storage Drivers”?
Which OS are you running?
Which Disk Drives are connected to your mainboard? Which one is your system drive (having the OS and the boot sector on it?
Which Intel RST driver version have you installed?
Did you install the “pure” driver or the complete Drivers & Software Set?
Did you ever updated the Intel RST driver and its software? If yes, how did you do it?

Hey Fernando really thanks for your answer, I am under Windows 10.

I installed the latest version of the RST software available on the intel site (17.2.0.1009).

Everything worked fine with my I7 7700k my Optane module was detected and the software offered me to pair the module with a hard drive.

But since I replaced it with my I9 9900K the RST software no longer offers me to pair it.

I also tested with the dedicated Optane software https://downloadcenter.intel.com/en/down…pilot-for-acc-l- ration-du-syst-me? product = 55005 and the program displays the error "0xA008002D"

My bios has been modded with the Coffeetime software and works really well except this problem.

I simply upload the Bios so that someone more competent than me can tell me if the problem comes from the Bios.

@Fanplayer1 :
Although I am not an expert regarding your specific problem, I don’t think, that it is driver related and can be solved by simply changing the in-use Intel RST driver.
I suspect, that the issue has been caused by changing the CPU resp. by the related BIOS modification.
Since it is obviously a BIOS (and not a driver) problem, I have moved this thread into the “BIOS Modding” Sub-Forum. Maybe a BIOS-Guru like CodeRush or Lost_N_BIOS can help you.
Just for a better understanding: What do you mean with “pairing” the optane module with a hard drive? Do you use the optane SSD just for the caching of data (like the “Smart Response Technology”)?

Good luck!

I just updated my IRST with UBU in version 17.2.5 but it did not change anything.

Do you think this can be related to pinmod?

I modified my bios with Cofeetime and followed the mod pin of this image.

pinwork_map.png

I isolated the red and blue yellow color I did not do the shorts.

I had to remove the isolation of 4pin yellow square to operate my 2nd barette ram.

Maybe optane is blocked because of a pine?

To answer your answer for Optane :
Intel® Optane™ memory is a system acceleration solution for new 7th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor-based platforms or later. This solution uses the Intel® Optane™ Technology, based on 3D XPoint™ memory media, along with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver.

When this new memory media is installed between the processor and slower SATA-based storage devices (HDD, SSHD, or SATA SSD), the computer can store commonly used data and programs closer to the processor. This allows the system to access this information more quickly, which can improve overall system responsiveness.

For more info, take a look at the official website : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/…ane-memory.html

@Fanplayer1 :
You should directly address your BIOS modding related questions to BIOS Gurus like CodeRush or Lost_N_BIOS.
I cannot help you.

Ok, thank you for your advice, I will send them a message =)

@Fanplayer1 :
Directly addressing within the post by using the @nickname1 option is much easier for you (you have not to explain the problem twice).

Messages are sent =)

I have never used Optane, but looks like some cache like drive, nothing I can help with unless you need a BIOS mod with some known Optane specific module to replace some other (Like RST version xx needs changed to RST version XX2, I can do that)
IN one archive, please zip the original BIOS you were using, that Optane worked OK with, and then also add your new mod BIOS, I will see if same Intel RST versions are there.
Other than that, I can only advise you read about how to use Optane and what specific BIOS settings need applied (Since these probably changed after you flashed BIOS from what you had set previously, maybe you missed a setting or two you need to change to match what you set before)?

It is possible one of the pins you covered on the CPU causes this, @revlaay @_haru @svarmod - would best know about this, I have no experience with these coffee mods.

Is your Intel ME currently working properly? You can see ME device in device manager, and in HWINFO64 on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version - does it show a good correct ME FW Version (BIOS Main page may also show)

@Lost_N_BIOS no experience with Optane unfortunately :frowning:

However, a starting point would be to look at a pinout of the 1151-CL LGA and see what the blocked pins’ functions are.

Hey all, really thanks for your answers.

For my pinmod I just uploaded the image (the pines I have not blistered are crossed by a red cross)

pinmod.png

For my good I uploaded the modded version with only coffetime + acpi table patched and original. I also tried with the UBU Software to update the rst / OROM with .EFI modules but that did not change anything so I handed over the basic modules.

Here is the official page of my motherboard https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/…ing-5-rev-10#kf

Bios mod.zip (5.53 MB)

Bios Original.zip (5.67 MB)

I also have countered the same problem like this buddy @Fanplayer1 . And I don’t think it is caused by the pinning.
My Optane can be recognized as an NVMe solid state, but the Optane driver software prompts an information code, saying that it is not supported by Bios. My motherboard is a b250 chipset and i3 9100f (B0 step)is installed by adding microcode. The current problem is that the Optane driver is unavailable.

I first tried to directly update the EFI IRST RAID for SATA and OROM IRST RAID for SATA modules in bios by using UBU software, the version is 16.7.3513. Bios cannot be accessed after the update, and the computer cannot boot normally. (Is this version cannot work on b250 motherboard or my opration is wrong?)

After that, I replaced the EFI IRST RAID for SATA and OROM IRST RAID for SATA modules of Bios with the 15.5.0.2875 version, which was able to boot normally.

I tried to install two versions of the rst and Optane drivers and got the following results:

1. The RST driver I installed is 15.5.0.16, and I can’t recognize Optane. This version of the irst bios module matches the rst driver, but it does not recognize it. If I install the 15.5.0.14 version of the Optane, the obsolete soft suggests that only supports 7th generation and above cpu.

2. The latest version of the rst driver cannot recognize Optane either. When installing the latest v17 Optane driver, it is prompted to update the bios.

So, I still haven’t solved the problem. In addition, I would like to ask, if the BIOS’s EFI IRST RAID for SATA and OROM IRST RAID for SATA modules are updated to 17.2, will it still fail to boot on the b250 chipset motherboard? I haven’t tested this yet, but I noticed that this module only supports 300 series motherboards. Thank you!@dsanke @Lost_N_BIOS @Fernando

@lndbdx
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Although I neither have an Intel Optane module nor a system with an Intel B250 Chipset, I try to answer some of your questions:
1. Only the Intel RST v16 and v17 platform drivers and BIOS modules do fully support the Intel Optane Module features.
2. To benefit the best from the Intel Optane Module features, I recommend to install the OS in UEFI mode. So you only have to update the "RaidDriver" BIOS module.

Good luck and a Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you sincerely! I will try to update the RaidDriver.

[Edit] The BIOS in the OP has RST OROM and EFI SATA modules that are old i.e. 15.5.0.2875
I would recommend updating the BIOS modules to 17.5.3.4203 with Optane Driver 17.7.0.1006 (or using modules 17.5.0.4136 with Optane driver 17.5.1.1021).
Intel recommends to use RST v16.8 and later here;

This means you should also have RST OROM and/or EFI SATA modules in your BIOS that are 16.8 or higher and matched with a similar driver version.
ntel also has suggested fixes for Optane here.

Acer also reported problems with Optane application pinning (only applicable to Optane modules greater than 16GB) here, for versions 15.9.x, 16.0.x, 16.5.x, or 16.7.x.

I am running a Kaby Lake 8130U with an Optane M10 using Optane driver 17.7.0.1006.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines removed (to save space and for better readability)

I update the bios RaidDriver, but the computer bios can not be entered.Can you help me to point out my errors ?Thanks.

I download the efi. file which is pure (without header) and and update the RaidDriver according this method, [Guide] How to extract/insert/replace EFI BIOS modules by using the UEFITool.

I only update the efi intel rst to 17.2.5.4046 ,while leaving the orom at 15.5.0.2875.
I list a picture below from the UBU tool. Thanks.
@ chinobino@Fernando

Giga B250m HD3, I3-9100f CPU

1.png

@lndbdx I have written a list on OROMs and EFI SATA modules that work (and don’t work) with my Gigabyte Z170 motherboard here.

17.2.5.4046 is on the list that didn’t work.

I recommend 17.5.3.4203 or 17.5.0.4136 and replacing both the OROM and the EFI SATA modules.

I can not find the 17.5.3.4203 or 17.5.0.4316 efi raid modules, can you post them up ,thanks! Because they are updated by the newer ones.
And what’s the difference between efi raid driver and raid rom, I’m a bit confused.Thank you.

Sure.

17.5.3.4203.zip (168 KB)

17.5.0.4136.zip (168 KB)