RAID1 - RST vs RSTe

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently changed from an Asus Rampage IV Extreme (RSTe) to an Asus X79 Deluxe (RST) and I’ve noticed my Raid1 performance suddenly being “abysmal”.
Where I used to have 160MiB/s I’m now getting 90~ish MiB/s read speeds.
Before I’m getting paranoid, is the RSTe variant actually doing “real” RAID1 ? (aka speedup reading by reading from both drives) and RST is NOT ?
Anyone know by chance ?
Don’t have the means to test it out myself at the moment unfortunately.

I also used to have the option to “cancel” the raid rebuild (handy when OCing and you know your data is fine).
Can’t seem to find the option in the RST driver however.

@ Mafste:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Before I am able to answer your questions, I need some additional informations:

1. Which OS are you running?
  2. Which Intel RAID OROM/driver version combination did you use with your ASUS Rampage IV Extreme and which one are you using now with your ASUS X79 Deluxe?
  3. Did you optimize your RAID performance according to the advices I have layed down within the start post of >this< thread?

By the way: There are a lot of X79 chipset RAID users, who have written, that they got the best performance by running their RAID Controller in RSTe mode (as DEV_2826), but using the modded Intel RST RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 and the modded Intel RST RAID drivers v12.x.x.xxxx.

Regards
Fernando

Thanks for trying to help!

1. Windows 7 x64
2. I’ve tried both 12.7 and 13.1 intel oroms in my X79 Deluxe (The X79 Deluxe does NOT have an RSTe mode btw).
As for the Rampage never wrote it down unfortunately , the one inside http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2…e-ASUS-4701.zip
3. Most of the posts in that thread are concerning Raid0 and I’ve set read caching already, but I will try the rest of the settings to be sure.

I guess I’ll have to swallow the performance loss, not really important because I was using the Raid1 as a backup kit anyways.
But the sata controller certainly seems to be something I need to keep in mind when I upgrade in the future.

I’m also assuming there is no way to mod an RSTe rom inside an RST bios ?

@ Mafste:
Thanks for the details.
Since your new mainboard obviously does not support running the SATA RAID Controller in RSTe mode (as DEV_2826), I recommend to use the Intel RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 as long as there are no newer/better v13 drivers available.

That is a good idea.

It probably would not make much sense to do a double switch (DEV_2826 > DEV_2822 > DEV_2826).