Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@nv-lte
Which was the result of your test? (see my previous post)?
If you were able to get the generic MS in-box NVMe driver installed instead of Intel’s NVMe driver, you can replace it by any other compatible NVMe driver.

1 Like

I think I got it! I grabbed your custom controller driver right off this file - Mod+signed Samsung NVMe drivers for HP+Dell systems - #37 by Fernando

https://winraid.level1techs.com/uploads/short-url/rsm8q9JHHNtFnvjpLrFk7zvYAfu.rar

My NVME is Samsung so it was perfect.

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

@Fernando I am only able to get the MIcrosoft Generic VMD NVME Controller installed only if I disable VMD in the UEFI then go into safemode that will trigger the installation of Microsoft’s VMD Driver but other than that it’s always defaulted to RST for my Laptop.

@nv-lte
According to my knowledge neither a “Microsoft Generic VMD NVME Controller” nor a “Microsoft VMD Driver” do exist.
What you obviously mean is, that you have to disable the Intel VMD Controller within the BIOS settings to be able to get the generic MS NVMe driver (or any other compatible NVMe driver) installed.
Please have a look into the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager and check the listed names.

Ahh, well that’s why you’re the guru!
Yea I definitely grabbed the Samsung VMD Controller modded off one of your previously posted entries there.

Do you happen to have the same thing for VEN_8086&DEV_A77F in regards to Intel RST VMD modded by you? I couldn’t track those down when I was looking for those.

If not no problem! I have been using the Modded Samsung VMD Controller and it seems to have great performance on my PC except for hibernation (a bit slow in that department) but otherwise a fantastic driver!

Where have you seen a device named “Samsung VMD Controller”? Neither a Samsung VMD Controller nor a Samsung VMD driver do exist. You obviously mean the device “Samsung NVMe Controller” and the related Samsung NVMe driver.

All Intel RST VMD drivers since v19.5.0.1034 do support your on-board Intel VMD Controller. So no modded driver is required for you.
By the way - the currently latest Intel RST VMD driver is v20.0.0.1038 dated 11/29/2023. You can find it within the start post of >this< thread.

My mistake again I have no idea why I keep saying VMD Controller - meant to say NVME Controller for Samsung

Also thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction for that RST VMD Driver!

Would it be possible to integrate the Samsung NVMe driver into an ISO? How would I import the certificate? Would this need something like @canonkong signing it instead?

@K4sum1
You can integrate any compatible storage driver into the ISO of any Windows OS, but the driver has to be WHQL certified by Microsoft. All other drivers are not accepted by the OS Setup, but this is only valid for the first (textmode) part of the OS installation.
Consequence: If you want to install a modded AHCI/RAID/NVMe driver, you will have to wait until the OS installation has been completed.

really really stupid question but the modded Samsung NVMe drivers with W10 are backwards compatible with W11, correct?

No, they are forward compatible with Win11.

ahaha i havent slept its 10 am for me, thank you!

Keep in mind that nvme third party drivers not recommended for windows 10 and 11 because of this:

"DirectStorage requires an NVMe SSD to store and run games that use the “Standard NVM Express Controller" driver and a DirectX12 GPU with Shader Model 6.0 support.”

Yes I am looking for a storage controller driver for my HPE NS204i-u Gen11 boot controller. Thank you.

@RobrPatty2
Please gve us knowledge about
a) the OS you are running and
b) the HardwareIDs of the related NVMe Storage Controller.

Sorry:
IDs: PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_2241&SUBSYS_03791590&REV_20
PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_2241&SUBSYS_03791590
PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_2241&CC_010802
PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_2241&CC_0108

I recommend to let the generic in-box MS NVMe driver do the job.

1 Like

Ok will do, thanks Fernando.

Rather special device, if I read correctly it’s supposed to automatically create a RAID1 from 2 NVMe SSDs as a boot device?

Did you bypass its firmware or does it present the Raid 1 as a simple disk to Windows?

“HPE NS204i-u is a universal installation hot plug OS boot device that
includes two 480 GB M.2 NVMe SSDs. The universal installation removes
the need for cables and backplanes. This device no longer takes up a PCIe
slot, and auto-creates RAID 1 volume.”

HPE NS204i-u Gen11 NVMe Hot Plug Boot Optimized Storage Device

YT “Installing the HPE NS204i Boot Device”

You read correctly its has built in RAID1. HPE has firmware for device so bios picks it up. I used ILO for initial firmware install. Then it automatically presents itself in Windows after install of OS.
No need for any configuation.

1 Like