Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@JSI
Thanks for the hint to the “Interactive BIOS Simulator” PDF file about your mainboard BIOS.
According to your previous posts I assume, that
a) the in-use NVMe SSD is your system drive and connected to the on-board M.2 port and
b) no SATA drives are connected to the mainboarrd.

As far as I understood the listed details, you should enter the BIOS, load the default settings and then check and customize (if useful) the following settings:

1. “Main” section:
    The current date and time should be up-to-date.
  2. “Advanced” section:
    a) “System Options”: Check all settings! The M.2 connected drive has to be visible for the OS.
    b) “Port Options”: Check the SATA0 settings!
    c) “Power Management Options”: Check the PCI Express Power Management setting.
    d) “Option ROM Launch Policy”: Check the setting. The UEFI “Driver” should be loaded.

a) yes
b) yes
Thanks, I’ll try to follow your advice.

Does anyone have Intel drivers for the B360 chipset under Windows 7, (possibly modified drivers if there are no original ones.)?

@JSI:
What type of Intel drivers (AHCI/RAID/NVMe) are you looking for?

mostly NVMe Intel drivers for the B360 chipset

@JSI
Which NVMe SSD are you using? I need the model, the name of the manufacturer and - if possible - the HardwareIDs of the NVMe Controller.

Disk: Western Digital “WDC PC SN520” NVMe M.2 SDAPNUW-128G-1006
On board NVMe controller: SanDisk 20-82-00703-A1
NVMe Chip Memory: SanDisk 05561 128G
property “Hardware Ids” under win10 show: SCSI\DISKNVMe___WDC_PC_SN520-SDA0006

@JSI
The safest way to get Win7 installed onto your WD NVMe SSD is to integrate Microsoft’s NVMe Hotfixes for Win7/W2k8 R2 into the boot.wim and install.wim of the Win7 ISO file. For details please read the related section of this thread’s first post.
Once the OS is installed and running, you can try to replace the generic MS NVMe driver by another one (e.g by the Phison NVMe driver v1.5.0.0 WHQL for Win7 x86/x64). It has to be done from within the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager.

@Fernando definitely love what you do here at this forum was wondering if you could help out.

I have an Asus UX8402VV somewhat recently purchased and I opted to turn off my VMD on UEFI which resulted in unnecessarily high DPCs from storport / afd / stornvme and other various drivers related to m.2

I was wondering if you have any custom Standard NVM Express Controller drivers for VEN_8086&DEV_A77F that can take care of this dumb issue I’m having or if you suggest going back to RST and setting my VMD back on I can do that as well with custom drivers you might have as well.

I read somewhere on the interwebs that using AHCI instead of RST would resolve this problem in my case but I do not see anyway this model machine can use AHCI properly when attempting to get that working.

So if possible VEN_8086&DEV_A77F custom RST or Standard NVM Express Controller
drivers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

@nv-lte
Welcome to th Win-Raid Forum!
You forgot to mention the OS you are running, but I suspect, that it is Win10 or Win11 x64.

These are the HardwareIDs of an Intel VMD Controller and I don’t know whether it can simply replaced by any NVMe Controller.
You can find it out yourself by doing the following (Tip: Set a “Restore Point” just in case of a not bootable system thereafter):

1. Run the Device Manage and expand the “Storage Controllers” section.
  2. Right-click onto the listed “Intel RST VMD Controller A77F” and choose “Update driver”.
  3. Choose the options “Browse my Computer…” and then “Let me pick…”.
  4. Check whether the device named “Standard NVM Express Controller” is shown as being compatible.
  5. Choose the offered option (if available)
  6. Reboot and look for the in-use “Storage Controllers”.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you very much Fernando, I was wondering if you have anything custom for that VMD Intel RST Controller with that VEN & DEV I scoured throughout the forums but no dice.

And my mistake on the HWID earlier this is the correct one -
VEN_144D&DEV_A80A if you have custom drivers for that one I’d really appreciate it!

Thank you very much for any help!

@nv-lte
Which was the result of your test? (see my previous post)?
If you were able to get the generic MS in-box NVMe driver installed instead of Intel’s NVMe driver, you can replace it by any other compatible NVMe driver.

1 Like

I think I got it! I grabbed your custom controller driver right off this file - Mod+signed Samsung NVMe drivers for HP+Dell systems - #37 by Fernando

https://winraid.level1techs.com/uploads/short-url/rsm8q9JHHNtFnvjpLrFk7zvYAfu.rar

My NVME is Samsung so it was perfect.

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

@Fernando I am only able to get the MIcrosoft Generic VMD NVME Controller installed only if I disable VMD in the UEFI then go into safemode that will trigger the installation of Microsoft’s VMD Driver but other than that it’s always defaulted to RST for my Laptop.

@nv-lte
According to my knowledge neither a “Microsoft Generic VMD NVME Controller” nor a “Microsoft VMD Driver” do exist.
What you obviously mean is, that you have to disable the Intel VMD Controller within the BIOS settings to be able to get the generic MS NVMe driver (or any other compatible NVMe driver) installed.
Please have a look into the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager and check the listed names.

Ahh, well that’s why you’re the guru!
Yea I definitely grabbed the Samsung VMD Controller modded off one of your previously posted entries there.

Do you happen to have the same thing for VEN_8086&DEV_A77F in regards to Intel RST VMD modded by you? I couldn’t track those down when I was looking for those.

If not no problem! I have been using the Modded Samsung VMD Controller and it seems to have great performance on my PC except for hibernation (a bit slow in that department) but otherwise a fantastic driver!

Where have you seen a device named “Samsung VMD Controller”? Neither a Samsung VMD Controller nor a Samsung VMD driver do exist. You obviously mean the device “Samsung NVMe Controller” and the related Samsung NVMe driver.

All Intel RST VMD drivers since v19.5.0.1034 do support your on-board Intel VMD Controller. So no modded driver is required for you.
By the way - the currently latest Intel RST VMD driver is v20.0.0.1038 dated 11/29/2023. You can find it within the start post of >this< thread.

My mistake again I have no idea why I keep saying VMD Controller - meant to say NVME Controller for Samsung

Also thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction for that RST VMD Driver!

Would it be possible to integrate the Samsung NVMe driver into an ISO? How would I import the certificate? Would this need something like @canonkong signing it instead?

@K4sum1
You can integrate any compatible storage driver into the ISO of any Windows OS, but the driver has to be WHQL certified by Microsoft. All other drivers are not accepted by the OS Setup, but this is only valid for the first (textmode) part of the OS installation.
Consequence: If you want to install a modded AHCI/RAID/NVMe driver, you will have to wait until the OS installation has been completed.