Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@Dusseldrop
The obviously available BIOS option "AHCI" doesn’t mean, that the standard AHCI data transfer protocol is fully supported by the mainboard.
If your on-board VIA SATA Controller would really be able to run in AHCI mode, VIA would have built and offered an appropriate AHCI driver for their SATA Controllers, but I have never seen such driver.

I totally agree.

@Fernando
Just out of curiosity: with your last reply in mind, what benefits would there be to selecting AHCI in the BIOS? I’m going for IDE, I think, but my curiosity has been piqued… :slight_smile:

@Dusseldrop
If you want to know the differences between the IDE and the SATA mode, you can do a Google Search for them and will find a lot of information (e.g. >this< one).
But if you want to know why your mainboard’s BIOS offers the “AHCI” option for your on-board VIA SATA Controller, although a VIA AHCI driver doesn’t exist, you should better ask the ASUS or the VIA Support. Unfortunately it is very unlikely, that you will get an answer.

@Fernando Thanks!

Important: The SiliconMotion NVME drivers on the first page need to be removed, i have tried them with 3 computers and all 3 failed a reboot, had to use Dism++ to remove the driver and return to the default windows10 one.

@POE_UK

Done!
Thanks for your additional report. As I had already written within the start post, I encountered myself the same SiliconMotion NVMe driver issue.

I think the *.sys file is corrupted, on my Mac it says it is

Marvell mv91cons.inf [email protected]

Unfortunately mvnodrv.inf and mvs91xx.inf are missing. :frowning:

[email protected] (21.1 KB)

@westlake
Thanks for the link and your comment.
Since the 64bit Marvell 91xx Config Device Driver v1.2.0.1052 seems to be just a “Chipset Driver” and doesn’t support any Storage Controller (AHCI/RAID etc.), I will not add it to the start post of this thread.

You asked a great question, thanks for sharing. I also found the answer to this question. I found it very helpful.

@jeejim1 Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Since this already existing thread about the recommended NVMe drivers matches better the topic of your reply, I have moved your statement into it.
Enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando, Hi!
your drivers are very important when installing windows 10 or older versions on new notebooks. Without some drivers windows 10 cant see hard driveq or SSD.
Do you have a complete pack of drivers for integrating in windows 10x64 iso?
I usualy make images of windows and need thouse missing nvme and other drivers for import in image.

@dimo70 Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

No, I don’t have such package. Furthermore it wouldn’t make much sense to integrate all available storage drivers into a Win10 ISO file, because
a) modern Windows Operating Systems have generic SATA AHCI and NVMe drivers in-the-box and
b) an integrated wrong/not matching storage driver may enhance the risk to get a 0x0000007B BSOD ("Unaccessable Boot Device").
The most important task for the user is to get the target disk drive detected by the Win10 Setup and to get the OS properly installed. A manual replacement of the related storage driver can be done later on, if required or useful.
Enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi,

Just recently I got a new Samsung 980 Pro to be used in my system (Win 7 Ultimate).
Found very helpful guide from this forum:

Windows 7 on Samsung 980 [www. win-raid .com / t9233f52-Windows-on-Samsung.html#msg147785],
Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers [www. win-raid. com / t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html#msg61], and
[Tips+Discussion] Usage of “mod+signed” Drivers [www. win-raid. com / t1300f25-Tips-Discussion-Usage-of-quot-mod-signed-quot-Drivers.html]

along with the modded driver; however, I’m stuck.

So, basically I downloaded >mod+signed generic 64bit Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 for Win7 x64< and manage to install the modded driver on my system (after importing the certificate using “Import Win-RAID CA.cmd” and running “dpinst64.exe” to install the driver
However, Win 7 still refuse to use the new driver -and persistently use “disk.sys” and “partmgr.sys” (the ones also used as drivers for my SATA drives!)

I’m quite certain that the driver is installed (though I may be wrong too -please correct me if I do in my understanding):
- I got an entry in Programs & Features: “Windows Driver Package - Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd (secnvme) SCSIAdapter (01/21/2020 3.3.0.2003)”
- I found a folder entry in “C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository” with “secnvme.inf_amd64_neutral” and the driver files inside this folder entry (secnvme.cat, secnvme.inf, secnvme.PNF, secnvme.sys)

I have tried (in Device Manager->Update Driver) to “force” using both “Search for driver in this location” and “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer->Have Disk”.

The first yields “Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date” for both locations in <the path of modded driver> and “C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\secnvme.inf_amd64_neutral…” and stay with “disk.sys” and "partmgr.sys"

The second yields pop up window: “The folder you specified doesn’t contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.” for both locations and nothing is installed.

After Samsung driver has been installed, I have tried to “Uninstall” the [disk.sys and partmgr.sys] driver from Device Manager and reboot, but upon restart these same drivers are getting selected over and over.

So, is there something that I did wrong? Or not complete? Or something else?

FYI, from the start (upon installation of the M.2 on my motherboard and cold boot) Win 7 always recognize the drive with disk.sys and partmgr.sys -I can write and read from the 980 Pro with no problem, except the speed of 980 Pro is the same as SATA drives.
Also, I have KB2990941-v3-x64 installed, but looks like it is never picked up as well. I tried to uninstall this KB, but still the same drivers are used (disk.sys and partmgr.sys), with and without KB2990941 installed.
My mobo is Asus C422 WS Pro/SE

Any idea or advice? Please help, as I’m currently at lost to make Windows use the installed modded driver.

Edit by Fernando: This post has been moved by me into this 100% matching thread. There was no need to start a new thread because of a wrong/not possible driver update procedure.

@SilverPiano Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You have done a severe mistake while trying to install a matching NVMe driver for your Samsung NVMe SSD.
Instead of updating the driver of the NVMe Controller you have tried to update the OS in-box drivers of Microsoft’s “Disk Management”.
If you want to change/update the NVMe driver, you have to expand the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager (and not the “Disks” one) and to right-click onto the listed NVMe Controller.
Good luck and enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I have not explain right. I make image of Windows 1064 on virtual machine with all needed stuff there. The problem is that when installing this image on new notebooks needs some drivers for integrate. I need this drivers.

@dimo70
Modern Windows Operating Systems like Windows 10/11 usually have all drivers in-the-box, which are required to detect and manage the IDE or Storage Controller of any possible target SSD/HDD. That is why you will probably succeed with the OS installation without having integrated or loaded any additional AHCI/RAID/NVMe driver.
If you are unsure regarding this point, please post the names and HardwareIDs of the on-board "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "Storage Controllers". You can find them by running the Device Manager of any Windows OS.

Hi Dieter,

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Ah, I see! Indeed inside Storage Controllers section, there is an entry with driver "secnvme.sys, version 3.3.0.2003 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd."

I checked using CrystalDiskInfo again today, and I can see that 980 Pro is listed there using NVME 1.3 (the previous day, somehow it does not appear at all at CrystalDiskInfo -that’s why I was unsure about it)

Thanks again for your work. It’s really useful and I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

64bit AMD StoreMi SATA Drivers v9.4.0.00059 WHQL for Win10/11 x64
These drivers are dated January 5, 2022, WHQL certification January 25, 2022, and only usable with disk drives, which are connected to the AMD SATA AHCI Controllers DEV_7901, DEV_43B6, DEV_43EB or DEV_43C8 running Win10/11 x64.

Releasenotes

Cheers
Tom
AHCI_v9.4.0.00059.zip (381.2 KB)

1 Like