Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Hi, Can someone please find me a nvme driver for my ssd. I am trying to install windows 7 but it says it needs standard nvm express controller driver. Thanks!

[GUIDE] How to get Win7 clean installed onto an NVMe SSD - OS related Topics / Windows 7/Vista/Server 2008 - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers - Important Drivers (AHCI/RAID, NVMe, USB etc.) / General: Storage Drivers (AHCI/RAID, NVMe and USB) - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Not all models of NVMe drives in the market have or use a specific NVme driver, you can try the generic MS from the hotfixes

I know, but it doesn’t list the driver for it

can you help me find the exact driver though, I think it isn’t listed

@Turboslayer123
MS has never offered an NVMe driver, which can be manually installed from within the Device Manager
The MS NVMe Hotfixes have to be integrated into the Win7 Image. Once you will do a fresh OS installation, the NVMe Controller will be detected by the Win7 Setup.

@ Fernando
Here is the NVMe driver for SMI SM226X, support win7/8.1/10 x86/x64.
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/kqcoo_ijvEYthQ

2 Likes

@canonkong
Thank you very much for the link to the generic SiliconMotion NVMe drivers v10.4.49.0 dated 04/23/2019.
Did you test the driver or have you seen any test report?
I ask this, because a long time ago I had offered within the start post the SiliconMotion NVMe drivers v10.4.32.6 dated 01/09/2018. Since they didn’t work with any of my NVMe Controllers, I removed them from the list of my “Recommended NVMe Drivers”.

1 Like

@Fernando
I test it on my Plextor M10e 512G, it can work fine.

1 Like

@canonkong
Meanwhile I have tested the latest SiliconMotion NVMe drivers v10.4.49.0 while running Win11 x64 Build 22H2 on a 128 GB SK hynix NVMe SSD and it works!
Here is the proof:

Due to your and my test results I will add the SiliconMotion NVMe Drivers to the start post.
Thanks again!

1 Like

Hello,

The WD NVMe driver v3.3.2102.41615 which I have doesn’t support the SN810, when I force installed it, I wasn’t able to boot so I had to do a system restore. Is there no newer driver that supports the SN810?

Also, is there an NVMe driver for Toshiba Kioxia SSDs?

@superspartan
The choice of the appropriate/best working NVMe driver depends on
a) the in-use or demanded OS and
b) the HardwareIDs of the NVMe Controller (right-click onto it > “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”).
Please give us the related information.
By the way - I have moved your request into this already existing thread. Within the first 2 posts you can find the latest WD and Toshiba NVMe drivers.

1 Like

a) Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
b) NVMe Controller managing the WD SN810: PCI\VEN_15B7&DEV_5011&SUBSYS_501115B7&REV_01
NVMe Controller managing the Toshiba Kioxia KXG70PN84T094TB: PCI\VEN_1E0F&DEV_000D&SUBSYS_00011E0F&REV_00

PS: the WD NVMe Driver v3.3.2102.41615 is not compatible with the SN810

1 Like

@superspartan

There is no specific driver for DEV_5011.

@superspartan
Since you are running Win11, I recommend to use the generic in-box MS NVMe driver.

2 Likes

In my opinion, for PCIe SSDs, the driver does not matter at all. The Windows driver is no worse than the manufacturer’s driver (Windows 10, 11).

1 Like

The Micron driver is definitely the most performant on my system (5600X, X570, W11 Pro, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB):

1 Like

@virtd
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum and thanks for your contribution!
Enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks! :grinning:

Some additional results, now on CrystalDiskMark 8.0.4 x64:

1 Like

Is there any specific driver for NVMe-Controller DEV_174A?

SSD: SKhynix BC711, 512GB (HFM512GD3GX013N)

I already have tried drivers from: Generic Microsoft, Samsung 3.3.0.2003, Phision 1.5.0.0, Micron 2.1.18.0 and Intel v16.

They all give very similar results. But the Gen. Microsoft, Phision and Micron performs at it’s best.

Micron:

Phision:

Gen. Microsoft:

I think there is no possibility to find anyone better - isn’t it?

@ole258
AFAIK the company “SK hynix” has never published any NVMe driver. So there is no specific driver for the SKhynix NVMe Controller with the DeviceID DEV_174A available.
On the other hand you have already tested 3 different NVMe drivers, which obviously are running fine with the SKhynix NVMe Controller. According to your test results the Micron driver seems to be the best for your system.