Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Maybe your forum can help me.

I have an ASUS M4A78TE board with AMD cpu. I wanted to install two 4TB Seagate’s as RAID1 (mirroring) as boot drive array with WIN10-64bit.
I think it has an SB660 RAID chipset.

I have tried lots of different option but if I have managed to set up the RAID1 array then WINDOWS says that it cannot be installed. Or the other way round.
- In the RAID option (CRTL-F) the RAID is only recognized as 2TB
- as 4TB single drive I can install WIN10 but then mirroring is not possible
- the last test was trying to install your drivers V3.3.1540.33 x64 but WIN10-64 says that these are not suitable drivers

Can anyone tell me if there is a suitable driver and installation procedure to install WIN10-64 to this configuration.

@Erich_Heer :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

This problem is obviously caused by a too old AMD RAID ROM module, which is not able to manage >2 TB RAID volumes.
Possible solution: Update the AMD RAID ROM of your mainboard BIOS to a version, which supports such big sized RAID volumes (if such AMD RAID ROM module is available at all).

Please post the HardwareIDs of your on-board AMD RAID Controller (right click onto it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwaeIDs").

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hallo Dieter,

I hope that this is the information your are looking for:
VEN_1002 & DEV_4391 & SUBSYS_ 43911002
I guess it is a SB750 chipset.

What would be the alternative ? Install a RAID Controller in a slot or buy a new board ? What would you suggest ?
I use the mirroring/RAID1 just for safety reasons in an office (no gaming) PC. (Still making regular backups). But I have all my photos and private videos on this PC also, so I would like to have this bit of extra safety.
I had two disc failures so far and I just had to exchange the disc and remirror.
But as I wanted to go from win7-32 bit to win10-64bit (because of the memory limit with 32 bit) I decided to setup the system new and bought new , bigger discs.

So the question is now:
- is there a chance to use the old hardware (board / CPU) with just some updated drivers / BIOS / … or
- should I just buy a RAID controller card (which would you suggest) or
- should I buy a new board which works with the AM3 CPU and 20 GB ECC memory (16 + 4).

Thank you for your help.
Best regards, Erich

Why did you think, that these v3.3.1540.33 drivers can be used while running Windows 10 x64? Within the start post I have written very clearly, that these "AHCI compatible RAID drivers" are only supported by Windows XP (32/64bit).

Thanks for the HardwareIDs, but they are only valid, if you are running the AMD SATA Controller in AHCI mode.
Are you not able to switch the SATA mode to "RAID" within the BIOS? If you should have this BIOS option, which HardwareIDs does the Device Manager show after the switch (if you are able to boot into the OS)?

It is not easy to answer this question from outside without knowing your budget and preferences.
This is what I would do:
As a short time solution I would break the RAID1 array (if such array has already been created), install Win10 x64 in AHCI mode onto a ca. 300 GB sized partition of a single Seagate HDD and use the remaining 3.7 TB for the storage of data. The other HDD can be used as backup disk drive.
When you have enough money, I recommend to buy an Intel chipset system and additionally an SSD as system drive. You will be surprised about the performance and responsiveness boost you will get.

@Fernando ,
New OCZ NVMe driver are here:
new OCZ NVMe drivers

@all:
Update of the start post

Changelog:

• Toshiba/OCZ NVMe drivers:
    • new: “pure” 32/64bit OCZ NVMe drivers v1.2.126.843 WHQL dated 05/13/2016 for Win7-10 x86/x64
    • new: OCZ NVMe Drivers Installer Set v1.2.126.843 dated 06/10/2016 containing the above listed NVMe drivers

• Note: Supported are the NVMe supporting OCZ Z-Drive 6000/6300 SSDs.

Thanks to 100PIER for the source link.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for the answer.
I tried ahci and raid.
Both options do not work for me.
If I use RAID in Bios the the biggest volume is 1.9 TB if I use AHCI then a 2.1 TB single volume is created. It looks as if this is the biggest size for a bootable volume with win10 and my hardware.
I could mount a 4TB mirrored volume but not as boot drive.
So I will install the system on two smaller discs (maybe ssd) and then use the 2x 4 TB discs as mirrored DATA volume.

Thank you for your help. But it seems as if my board and bios is outdated so this maybe the best option.

Hi,
Looking for some help if possible.

We have bought a load of Dell Optiplex 7440 AIO machines. These machines have Toshiba thnsn5512gpu7 nvme drives.
We image the machine using SCCM, and when the machine reboots we get ‘Windows Failed to start’ error. During the task sequence Interl SATA AHCI and RAID Controller are installed, but don’t seem to work.
Is there any driver’s out there for the Toshiba thnsn5512gpu7? For some reason Dell have changed from the Samsung NVMe drives that we could get working using there own driver.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Jon

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines removed (to save space and to improve the readability)

@jcross :
Hello Jon,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

NVMe SSDs are using an own NVM Express Controller, which is listed within the "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager. They don’t need and don’t use the Intel SATA AHCI or RAID Controller.

Windows 10 has a generic in-box MS NVMe driver, which should work with all NVMe drives. If you are searching for a specific NVMe driver from Toshiba/OCZ, please have a look into the start post.

If neither the Win10 in-box NVMe driver nor the latest NVMe driver delivered from OCZ/Toshiba works with your system, you should contact the Dell Support.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

The RAID controller is 32bit with a 2TB limit (per partition). Any bigger you need UEFI and GPT. As Fernando said it’s just too old… :slight_smile:

Edited (replied to the wrong post lol).
Re-EDITED by Fernando: Quoted source and quoting codes corrected, unneeded parts of the quoted text and blank lines removed

Intel NVMe drivers v1.7.0.1002 WHQL

Direct Link

DriverVer=06/02/2016,1.7.0.1002

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• Intel NVMe drivers:
    • updated: 32/64bit Intel NVMe Windows Drivers (now v1.7.0.1002 WHQL)
    • updated: Intel NVMe Drivers Installer Set (now v1.7.0.1002 WHQL)
    • Notes:
      The drivers are dated 06/02/2016 and WHQL certified. They are usable with all Intel NVMe SSDs of the P3700/P3600/P3500/750 Series. Supported are all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up.

Thanks to Pacman for the link.

Good luck with these brandnew Intel NVMe drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hey are they any new ahci drivers for the amd , win 10 x 64 ?

@Dyabzhee :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I haven’t seen any newer AMD AHCI drivers yet.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Jcross

Did you evert figure this out, i have tried the Toshiba driver but i still can’t get it to work with Windows 7

I have made Toshiba OCZ Nvme work with xp.

32bit OCZ NVMe driver mod for xp.7z

That is really great!
Where did you get the knowledge about how to create the txtsetup.oem file and how to modify the driver itself (= *.sys file)?
If you don’t want to answer into the Forum, please send me a PM.

That is really great!
Where did you get the knowledge about how to create the txtsetup.oem file and how to modify the driver itself (= *.sys file)?
If you don’t want to answer into the Forum, please send me a PM.

PMED You every thing.
Fernado sir be ready intel nvm express driver for xp /2k3 coming

@ Fernando:

Intel NVME 4.5.0.2125

@all:
Update of the start post

Changelog:

• Intel RSTe NVMe RAID drivers:
    • new: Complete Intel RSTe NVMe Drivers & Software Set v4.5.0.2125 dated 08/16/2016 containing the Intel RSTe NVMe drivers v4.5.0.2122 WHQL
    • replaced: “pure” 32/64bit Intel RSTe NVMe RAID drivers v4.5.0.2122 WHQL dated 01/14/2016 for Win8-10 x86/x64 (freshly digitally signed by Microsoft at 08/06/2016)
    • Notes:
      • Only the Intel RSTe Software has been updated.
      • Supported are all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up. New is the additional support of Windows Server 2016.
      • Supported are only Intel® Xeon Processor systems with an Intel C610 series chipset and Intel® Xeon Processor systems with an Intel C230 series chipset running an Intel SSDs of the 3700/P3600/P3500/750 Series.

Thanks to Plutomaniac for the link.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)