Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Thanks @ik9000 , It’s good to see that the XG3 is officially supported! I haven’t got the drive yet, but when I do I will attempt to do what Fernando said and install the driver at the beginning of reinstalling windows 10.

If it gets replaced by a windows driver that would be pretty annoying. I’m assuming you are using the ‘Have Disk…’ option for installing the new driver? That should work… It’s the same process people use for updating the driver on the SM961.

Where do I get those from for Windows 10 x64 for VEN_1002

No worries. Took me some hunting around one evening, and it doesn’t show up readily in google searches. The have disk option doesn’t work. Win10 decides what driver it considers more current. It deems that the generic MS driver v10.1. etc is more up to date than OCZ’s 1.2. etc. Even when you manually direct it to the OCZ driver it just adopts a gallic accent, shrugs it’s virtual software shoulders and says "Non!"

Well, that is not good! I really hope there’s a way around that, as being able to use the driver that has been designed for the SSD would be nice.

Hi,
i want to install Win7 Enterprise 64-bit on a lenovo t460s with a PCIe/NVMe SSD.
The device name is Samsung MZSLW1T0. It should be the Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 1TB.

The Samsung nvme.inf from your website is not working for this NVMe SSD. Do you have
any ideas?
Now i m stucking at the win7 installation setup: -> No drives were found.
Is there a driver for a Samsung SSD 960?

I spended so much time to solve this issue, with no success.
regards Tim

@wizzleize :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I don’t know that.
We are members of a Forum and are doing our job for free. We never claimed, that we are hosting all storage drivers, which ever have been compiled by the manufacturers for their various Storage Controllers.
If you need a Win7 compatible NVMe driver for a special Samsung SSD, you should contact the Samsung Support.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@wizzleize :
There are wider issues with gettting nvme to work with win7. It quite often needs different BIOS settings than you might expect particularly when it comes to RAID vs AHCI, and some NVME need GUID partitions, which is not always the win7 default. Then there are other quirks e.g. Lenovo have recently been under fire for people having difficulty installing linux on them - see here: http://hexus.net/tech/news/systems/97195…tion-new-yogas/ - and that seems to be due to the RAID configuration they adopted.

Also, which drivers are not found? Is it ok with the USB3 drivers that a modern machine will need? You might want to try using ntlite and load the drivers into your bootimage from the off. Alternatively intel have a usb3 insertion tool that can simplify some of the process.
Google is your friend…

I’ve tried finding the specs for the MZSLW1T0 on Samsung’s site. Nothing comes up. Is this the right model number?

Edit - you might have the wrong model number - see here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-…/3315073#M59000
Sounds like it’s a PM961 enterprise drive - which Samsung do not list on their site.

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by a personally addressed start line (to save space)

Thanks for your response. The BIOS named the drive Samsung MZSLW1T0HMLH-000L1.

You are right, my first step was putting USB3.0 drivers into my Win7-USB drive. Then i could boot
my Win7 installation usb-drive. But the NVMe SSD drive was not found. So i can´t install Win7.
Do you have a idea?

@wizzleize :
The related NVMe BIOS module, which is respansable to boot of it, is an EFI and no LEGACY (Option ROM) module.
That is why you probably have to install Win7 in UEFI mode by using the GUIMode Partition Table. The tool named Rufus can do it for you.
Furthermore I recommend to unplug all storage disk drives except the NVMe SSD, before you start with the OS installation.

@ik9000 Hey, I received my XG3 and did actually manage to install the driver from OCZ’s website. Here are the steps I took to do it:

1. Place the files from the x64 folder in OCZ’s driver package into a separate folder on your desktop:

2. Go to storage controllers in device manager and select the ‘Standard NVME Express Controller’, right click it and select ‘Update Driver Software…’:

3. Select ‘Browse my computer for driver software’, then click ‘Browse…’:

4. Navigate to your desktop and select the folder containing the x64 driver and select ‘OK’:

5. Click ‘Next’ and it should successfully install the driver software, naming the drive ‘XG3’ in the device manager:

If you can’t see the images, open them in a new tab and you should be able to see them.

I am having a separate issue with this drive now that I have it: I can’t get it to be shown as a bootable device in my BIOS. It shows up and functions just fine in windows, but may as well not exist as far as the BIOS appears to be concerned. This means I cannot finish installing windows 10 on the drive as it requires to be booted.
I would really appreciate any and all help on this, I have a thread going into the issue here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1612939/nvme-…s#post_25562734

@Fernando If you have any ideas on my issue, I would be incredibly grateful. I have pictures of my BIOS and further information on the OCN thread.

EDIT

I got it working with a BIOS edit, thanks to these wonderful threads:

[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for Intel Chipset systems from 6-Series up

[Guide] How to flash a modded ASUS/ASRock/Gigabyte AMI UEFI BIOS

@d0e :
Thanks for your instructions about how to get the special OCZ NVMe driver installed instead of the generic MS NVMe driver.

This issue is not driver related and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
These are the requirements to be able to boot off an NVMe supporting SSD:
1. The BIOS must contain an EFI NVMe module, which has to be loaded while booting.
2. Within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS you have to choose UEFI compatible settings.
3. If applicable, the "Secure Boot" option should be disabled within the BIOS.
4. The OS installation has to be done in UEFI mode.

If you should have further questions about how to get an NVMe SSD bootable, please post them into >this< thread, but don’t forget to read the first post of that thread before you do it.

Hi Fernando, thank you for all that you have done, but I have a question concerning new NVMe drives coming out from Lite-On.

I have this card: http://www.liteonssd.com/pcie-ssd/item/c…CX2-SERIES.html , specifically the 256GB model.

I seem to be unable to install to this drive on Windows 7 as the installer cannot see the drive. I tried injecting the OCZ driver, Intel driver, Samsung driver, and the Micron driver listed here without any luck. I’ve tried searching on the internet for the driver, but I haven’t had any luck on finding one; though I haven’t contacted Lite-On directly, yet. The drive came with a new Dell Optiplex 7040 with Windows 7 pre-installed on it (but I’m trying to reimage it to an image I premade), so Dell switched suppliers from Samsung to LiteOn for their NVMe M.2 drives recently. Is there a way I can pull the driver from the current Windows 7 install? I checked and tried the RST drivers that were already prepackaged into the computer that sat on the C: drive, but no luck.

As default, the computer boots with Legacy mode. When Dell was using the Samsung NVMe drives, I was able to boot with legacy mode into the windows installer, inject the samsung nvme drive, then the installer could see the drive, then I could continue on.

@BucDan :

My tip is: Ask the Dell and/or the Lite-On Support for a usable NVMe driver.
As long Lite-On hasn’t released a special NVMe driver, which is usable for their NVMe SSDs running Windows 7, I really don’t know how I can help you.
What I can try to do is to modify the 64bit Win10 in-box MS NVMe driver for being used with Windows 7. Do you want to try it?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

That would be great if you can! It would be worth a try.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)]

EDIT: Apparently they are running on marvell eldora controllers. I’m doing my search on that right now as well.

The requested mod+signed MS NVMe driver (inclusive the Certificate of the Digital Signature) is attached.
Good luck!
Don’t forget to report the result of your test.

64bit MS Win10 in-box NVMe driver v10.0.14393.206 mod+signed by Fernando.rar (51.9 KB)

Hi, I want to request Toshiba XG4 NVMe driver for windows 7 64bit, the XG3 driver does NOT work with the SSD and Toshiba seems have not updated the driver yet. Thanks in advance!

Model name is :THNSN5256GPUK.

Edit:
OK, I will give a try even though the other member had failed :wink:
BTW my laptop come from Dell, too. Of course I’ve contacted the service center for the driver but they just give the IRST F6 driver link that didn’t work at all. I also encountered similar issue with other NVMe SSD SK Hynix PC300 and it still has no driver anyway. :confused:

@a412010 :

If you don’t want to run Win10, which natively supports NVMe, you may try to integrate the mod+signed Win10 in-box NVMe driver, which I have attached to my previous post, into the Win7 ISO file.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Bad news, it didn’t work, but it was worth a try, and I thank you very much for your effort. I have another question though, how did you get the Win 10 NVMe driver? Is there a way for me to pull it from the current Windows 7 install?

I tried contacting Dell, and their support isn’t very helpful. Haven’t heard back from Lite-On yet either.

EDIT: The Dell Recovery Image ISO on their site apparently has the Lite-On/Marvell Driver embedded into it. Who would have thought?! Is there a way for me to extract it, to maybe donate it to your site if it’s possible? Just to give back for the awesome list you posted on the first page.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted text removed (to save space)

@BucDan :
Thanks for your report. It is a pity, that the MS Win10 in-box NVMe driver didn’t work for you.
Which error message did you get? Or has your SSD just not been detected after having loaded the driver?

All OS in-box drivers can be found within the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository folder. All I had to do was
a) to add a line regarding the *.CAT file into the *.INF file and
b) to give the driver a digital signature,which is stored within the associated *cat file.

The OS Win7 natively doesn’t contain any NVMe driver.

If you want to extract a driver from an ISO file, you probably have to install the OS and then look into the above mentioned DriverStore folder.

I’ve tried some methods listing below and I gave up atm.
Tested laptop model: Dell Latitude E5470 with Toshiba XG4 NVMe SSD.

a. intergrate the mod win10 in-box nvme driver: it can identify the nvme drive but it still says lacking CD/DVD driver, of course I’ve intergrated the Intel USB 3.0 driver, maybe bug?
b. load the mod driver with untouched install.wim and boot.wim resulting BSOD code 0x00000D1, but the code name I forgot atm.

BTW Microsoft NVMe hotfix can’t work as the point a. How can I do…?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)