Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

If you want to get Win7 installed by booting off an Intel USB 3.0 port, I recommend to use the "Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility" from Intel. You can get it >here<.

Where do the MSAHCI drivers fit in to this, while the AMD AHCI drivers are Win10 certified, they don’t seem to have been updated since before Win10 came out.

Not sure if I should favour AMD AHCI or MS AHCI.

On my Netbook (Atom N450 on NM10), it’s either 8.9.1023 from Windows 7 or MS AHCI - attempts to apply later NM10 / ICH7 result in crash

@Matth79 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The informations you get from the Device Manager are misleading, if you just right click onto the listed AHCI Controller and choose the options "Properties" > "Driver", because the shown version and date informations are just read from the related INF file, which hasn’t been updated by Microsoft.

If you want to see the real version and date of the Win10 in-box MS AHCI driver named STORAHCI.SYS, you should navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder, right-click onto the file named "storahci.sys" and choose the options "Properties" > "Details".
This is what I get:

As you can see, the generic MS AHCI driver of my Win10 v1607 ("Anniversary Update") has been compiled by Microsoft at 15. September 2016.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I was thinking the AMD drivers were also rather old (which they are), but with the MS drivers being more recent than they look, I think I should definitively switch back to them on my Netbook - and ignore IOBIT Driver booster!

Now I normally don’t hold much with “driver updaters” as they are usually scareware that finds for free and charges to “fix”, IOBIT does seem to be quite genuine and usable in free mode, and did do a decent job on some other drivers.
But it was pushing to replace the MS standard drivers with ye olde 8.9.0.1023 Intel as it appeared to be more recent.

As for the AMD SATA drivers, the AMD download contains …\W764A (Windows 7), WB64A (Windows 8.1) but NOT WT64A - so no Windows 10 specific, but Microsoft Update catalog does contain 1.3.1.276 for Windows 10, though not tagged for my device ID.

Guessing I’m probably best off with MSAHCI on both of them

Hello :slight_smile:

Found a Samsung NVMe driver from HP, seems to be for Win 7, but i don’t know for sure.

DriverVer=08/04/2016,2.4.7.0

Device support:
SM951
SM961
SM961 SED
PM961
nvme_inst, PCI\VEN_144D&DEV_A802
nvme_inst, PCI\VEN_144D&DEV_A804

Driver Download

Release notes

There is one from Dell also.
DriverVer=07/26/2016,1.4.8.3

Driver page

@Pacman :
Thanks for the info and the links.
The most interesting new Samsung NVMe driver seems to be the v2.4.7.0, because it obviously supports the same Samsung NVMe Controller as the old v1.4.7.17 drivers.
As soon as I have the required time I will test these new Samsung NVMe drivers with my Z170 system running Win10 x64. If they should work, I will offer them within the start post of this thread.

@Pacman
You sir are a savior doing God’s work!!! I’ve been looking for the SM961 drivers for about a week. I was about to give up and install Win10 on a Lenovo T460s.
Thank you! thank you! thank you!

@ Arnie

That is great, thank you :slight_smile:

Yes, ok for Samsung SM961 and 950 Pro (driver HP)

Thanks so much Pacman :wink:

EDIT: Less efficient than the Samsung official drivers
I will wait for the official drivers :slight_smile:

i have tested in my xiaomi mi notebook 12.5 whit samsung pm961 256 gb whit windows 10 64 bit , all two driver from hp ,2.4.7.0, and from dell 1.4.8.3.i have the better prestation whit 1.4.8.3 but samsung magician dont identify the ssd i hope resolve whit new driver from samsung.

@Arnie and @caxio :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback regarding the latest Samsung NVMe drivers!

@tistou77 :
Thanks for having tested resp. compared all Samsung NVMe drivers and for your report!

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• Samsung NVMe drivers:
    • new: “pure” 32/64bit Samsung NVMe Drivers v2.4.7.0 WHQL dated 08/04/2016
    • new: Samsung NVMe Driver Installer Set v2.4.7.0 WHQL

• Thanks to Pacman for the link to the Installer Set.
      Notes:
      The included 32/64bit Samsung NVMe drivers are dated 08/04/2016, WHQL certified by Microsoft and seem to be usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up.
      Supported are the Samsung NVMe Controllers with the DeviceIDs DEV_A802 and DEV_A804, which are within Samsung’s most popular consumer NVMe SSDs like SM951, SM961, SM961 SED, PM961 and 950 Pro SSDs.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello bigplus & Fernando!

I hadn’t recognize any big differences between AMD AHCI driver v1.2.1.359 WHQL and AMD AHCI driver v1.2.1.402 WHQL with HDDs on SB750 systems and HDDs/SSD on SB950 systems with Win7 64bit.
Seems, that the info is old now. I can make benchmarks, if it’s needed.

@Fernando
Although there is a bug in your website. The link to bigplus’ post is set under Win8.x/10 -> that make no sense to me.

Best regards from MiMo

Thanks for the info.
Meanwhile I have removed the link to bigplus’s post from the Win8/8.1/10 section. It remains within the Win7/Vista section.

Greetings from Dieter

Samsung NVMe SSD Driver Download v2.0 New http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/sams…r-download.html

@NIK1 :
Thanks for the info and the link. Unfortunately I have not yet been able to extract the "pure" Samsung NVMe drivers.
As soon as I have the time, I will test and compare them with the already available Samsung NVMe drivers v2.4.7.0.

The news Samsung driver (files extracted)

Samsung NVMe 2.0.rar (59.9 KB)

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• Samsung NVMe drivers:
    • new: “pure” 32/64bit Samsung NVMe Drivers v2.0.0.1607 WHQL dated 10/10/2016
    • new: Samsung NVMe Driver Installer Set v2.0.0.1607 WHQL

• Thanks to Guru3D for the source package, to NIK1 for the info and to tistou77 for the extraction of the pure drivers.
      Notes:
      The included 32/64bit Samsung NVMe drivers are dated 10/10/2016, WHQL certified by Microsoft and seem to be usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up.
      Contrary to the older v2.4.7.0 ones these NVMe drivers do not contain an additional SCSI filter driver.
      Similar to the v2.4.7.0 drivers these newer ones do support the Samsung NVMe Controllers with the DeviceIDs DEV_A802 and DEV_A804, which are within Samsung’s most popular consumer NVMe SSDs like SM951, SM961, SM961 SED, PM961 and 950 Pro SSDs.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Bizarre, if I install the drivers Samsung NVMe 2.0 by the device manager, the disks are indicated SCSI Disk Device (see screen)
Not possible to have the name "normal" ?

Thanks

Capture.PNG

As you can see here, my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD running Win10 x64 Build 14971 with the Samsung NVMe driver v2.0.0.1607 is shown as "Samsung SSD 950 Pro 256 GB", that means without the suffix "SCSI Disk Drive":

I suspect, that we are running different Operating Systems.
Which OS are you running?

What is "normal" and why do you think, that it is bad to run an SSD as "SCSI Disk Drive"?

With Windows 10 Pro x64 1607 (14393.447)

Normal like you :slight_smile:

Have you installed by .exe or device manager?
If I remember correctly, by the .exe I have like you

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded part of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)