Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

They can handle NVMe SSDs as well (see below).

Yes, I have tested it successfully and reported >here< about the results. I used the Intel RST(e) driver v15.0.0.1039, but the procedure will work with each Intel RST(e) driver from v14.6 up.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I doubt, that this will work.

@Fernando

Does the RAID 0 NVMe test you have done with 2 Samsung similar products has been done with Intel RST(e) driver v15.0.0.1039 RAID mode and also Samsung NVMe drivers installed at the same time ?

@100PIER :
Here are my answers:
1. When I created the RAID array consisting of 2 NVMe SSDs, I had to use different SSD models (Samsung 950 Pro and SM951), because I didn’t have a pair of the same model.
2. The Intel RAID Controller has been set to “RAID” within the BIOS (otherwise it is impossible to create an Intel RAID array).
3. No, I haven’t installed any Samsung NVMe driver and the MS in-box NVMe driver obviously hasn’t been used by the OS during the test.

@Fernando ,
Point 3: So, what piece of software or firmware does handle the NVMe function (protocol engine) executed by a i750 NVMe controller or a Samsung NVMe controller?
Is it only the "NVMe BIOS module" interfaced directly by the Intel RSTe SATA AHCI/RAID software driver ?

As far as I understand the details listed by Anvil’s Storage Utilities (look into the related screenshot), it is the on-board Intel RST(e) RAID Controller in cooperation with the driver named iaStorA.sys v14.6 or above, which have managed the NVMe support.

Although I am not sure about it, I suspect, that the Intel EFI RaidDriver module and not the NVMe EFI BIOS modules are managing the booting into the RAID array.

@Fernando ,
So, the iaStorA.sys driver handles any modern PCI chipset which has a “generic” capacity to talk with any NVMe devices whatever is the NVMe manufacturer device, and whatever is the NVMe standard compliance… (v1.0, v1.1, v1.2,…)
Do you understand what are the exact roles of a MS native NVMe driver and/or specific NVMe manufacturer’s drivers ?
For instance, in my X99 machine (see ANVIL, DriveControllerInfo screenshot)
iaStorA.sys handles X99 which drive directly some RAID Arrays of non NVMe devices
IANVME handles directly (not thru X99) i750 NVMe device
SECNVME handles directly (not thru X99) 960 PRO NVMe device
Do you share with me this vision ?

AFAIK this only works unter the following conditions:
a) the system’s chipset belongs to the Intel 100-/200-Series,
b) the Intel SATA Controller is running in RAID mode and
d) the installed Intel RST RAID driver is v14.6 or higher.
Maybe there is an additional requirement rearding the Intel EFI RAID module version, which is situated within the mainboard BIOS.

They are needed, if any of the previously mentioned prerequisites are not fulfilled.

Thanks Fernando.
I ignored that Intel 100-/200-Series have an ‘embedded’ smart NVMe “capability” that other chipset such as X99 do not have.

Replying to Flakigel’s post as it was the last appropriate context I could find:

I tested the 64bit Marvell AHCI v1.2.0.1048 driver on Windows 10 x64 Pro build 1607, on a Marvell SE9120 controller, and found that it does not support TRIM. The msahci driver will pass TRIM through the Marvell controller in AHCI mode. Additionally, the Marvell driver does not outperform the msahci driver, and appears as a SCSI device instead of AHCI, leading Windows to identify attached SSDs as HDDs (through Optimize Drives) and without intervention will attempt to defragment them. I have documented everything but the misidentification part (forgot) and can share it if desired.

Additionally, I would say attaching modern SSDs to the Marvell SE9120 controller is to be avoided with any driver, as performance is nearly half that of an (old!) Intel Z68 SATA controller (also documented).

ASMedia ASM106x SATA drivers v3.2.1.0 (apart from SCSIport driver for XP/2k3 at v3.2.0.0)
https://mega.nz/#!kRgyiBaA!a34t1DuBzUSdl…HWMALV1XBOEfhHg

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers:
    • new: “pure” 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers v3.2.1.0 WHQL for Win8/8.1/10 dated 05/17/2016
    • new: “pure” 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers v3.2.1.0 WHQL for Vista/Win7 dated 05/17/2016
    • new: “pure” 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers v3.2.0.0 WHQL for XP/W2k3 dated 03/28/2016 (with customized TXTSETUP.OEM for an easy integration)
    • new: Complete ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID Drivers & Installer Set v3.2.1.0 dated 06/02/2016 containing the above listed drivers for XP-Win10

Thanks to our Forum member shroeder for the source package.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando ,
I see on Station-drivers a new Software package for Intel RSTe driver v4.5.6.1009 WHQL.
However, I think "pure" driver remains v4.5.6.1004 WHQL.
Why i do no longer see the v4.5xx branch on this "Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers" sub-forum ?

@100PIER :
Thanks for the info regarding the updated Intel RSTe Drivers & Software Set v4.5.6.1009.

They have never been listed here until now, but I have just put them into the start thread.

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• Intel AHCI/RAID drivers:
    • added: separate section for Intel RSTe Enterprise drivers
    • new: Intel RSTe AHCI/RAID drivers v4.5.6.1004 WHQL for Win8/8.1/10 dated 11/17/2016

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi ,

I have Zbook G3 with Toshiba NVMe SSD ( exactly M.2 SSD Toshiba NVMe XG3 512GB THNSN5512GPU7 ) and i need install Windows 7 Pro from USB flash ( no CD-ROM in NB ) . When I start install Windows 7 pro from USB flash drive in start menu which i choose driver , everytime and with every version SSD drive ( 64bit OCZ NVMe driver v1.2.126.843 WHQL is corret drive i thing ) have a error menu with no SIGNED driver 32bit or 64bit …bla bla bla … and stop instalation . How i change installer Win7 which use no-signed SSD drive , or its any manual for this solution ? I try a few option ( install Win7 other PC install DRIVE and clonning to NB = dont work ) .

thanks so much

ps. i have same NB HP Zbook G3 , but witch SAMSUNG NVMe SSD and same ISO Windows 7 Pro work , no drive need . :slight_smile:

@alicom :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Are you sure, that the message you got was related to the NVMe driver? Maybe the Win7 Setup needs an USB driver for being able to use the port where you are booting from.
I don’t believe, that Toshiba/OCZ have ever released an unsigned NVMe driver.
Provided, that you have loaded or integrated the correct NVMe driver, which matches the NVMe Controller of your NVMe SSD, the OS and its architecture (32/64bit), I recommend to read >this< article. Maybe it will help.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi again , i have solution my problem for everybody have Toshiba SSD NVMe on to HP Zbook

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publi…mr_na-c05040446

i miss correct install USB driver before :slight_smile: thanks

That’s what I have already suspected.
Thanks for your feedback, which may be useful for others, who have the same problem.

Hi!

Sorry to bother, but surfing on the net I came across this forum where I think that (maybe) I can find an answer to my questions.

I just assembled a new rig:

Intel 5820k
Asrock X99X Fatal1ty Killer / 3.1
G. Skill Ripjaws 16 GB (4x4) 3200 mhz
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe 512 GB
etc.etc.

The OS is Windows 10 Professional / 64 bit

After installing the OS, the 950 PRO worked just fine (with the provided Microsoft driver). Then I installed the latest Samsung NVMe driver (ver. 2.0.0.1607) and got the feeling that my booting time from power on to OS became around 2-3 sec slower than before (with Microsoft driver).

I took a chronometer to check and it confirmed my impression.

I also did some bench with Crystal Disk Mark, that confused me even more: the results with Microsoft driver and Samsung driver were both satisfactory (in line with expectations, and for some scores like SeqQ32 read & write among the best I’ve see on the web for the same device) and not too dissimilar but…with Microsoft driver I got slighty better results on Seq (not Q32) & 4k read while worse on 4k write.
4k write score was already not so good even with Samsung driver (around 192 MB/s) but dropped to mere 150 MB/s with Microsoft driver.

The CPU is not OC (yet). All bios settings basically on default.

Here my questions:

1) the difference(s) in score between the two drivers is within the margins of error of the bench suite or rather indicate a real difference in performance?

2) how can be explained the 2-3 sec slowed startup if the benchmark scores with MS and Samsung driver are pretty similar?

3) I read online that the latest Samsung driver can generate some problem “unsafe shutdowns”…but also that Microsoft driver have sometime writing issues (however, not sure wich version we are talking about here…maybe this was already fixed?)…can someone enlight me?

4) do you have suggestions and / or settings “tricks” (bios / OS / whatever) to get the best performance from my 950 PRO? Because I just mounted the drive, installed the OS and tested both MS and Samsung drivers without changing anything else either in the bios or in the operating system: is this all that I need to do?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!

@ODP :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I tend to the first option.

Maybe the MS Operating System prefers the MS own generic NVMe driver and needs less time to check its integrity.

No driver is perfect, otherwise there would be no reason to update them continuously.

Yes, please look into the start post of >this< thread. Although my tips have been designed for SSDs, which are connected to Intel SATA ports running in AHCI mode, they are valid for NVMe SSDs as well. Most important is point 8 (enabling write caching).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you Fernando.

Ok I will do more bench & tests just to be sure.

Just another question: I downloaded the latest Intel Rapid Storage driver setup for my MB from Asrock website but the setup program fails…for what I read somewhere it seems that 950 PRO is not supported. If this is true, then I can do without the RSTe driver, right? In other words I can skip tips #7 and #9 (LPM disable) of your "guide to best SSD performance"…it is so?