Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• Marvell 91xx/92xx SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers:
    • new: 32/64bit Marvell 91xx/92xx SATA3 AHCI/RAID Drivers v1.2.0.1049 WHQL for Win10 (x86/x64), dated 01/26/2016
    • new: 32/64bit Marvell 91xx/92xx SATA3 AHCI/RAID Drivers v1.2.0.1049 WHQL for Win7-8 (x86/x64) dated 01/26/2016
Thanks to Station-Drivers for the source package.
What I do not yet know is, whether
a) these drivers do support TRIM and
b) the drivers do support Windows XP and/or Vista (x86/x64).

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Good luck with these Marvell AHCI/RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
I will test Trimcheck with V1.2.0.1049 for W10 x64 soon on ASUS P8Z77 and let you know.
You said V1.2.0.1048 for Win7-8, is there a typo in the start post ?

Thanks.

Where do you see v1.2.0.1048?
By the way: The fact, that Marvell has put TXTSETUP.OEM files to both driverpacks (one supposedly designed for Win10 and the other for Win7-8) indicates, that both driver models may work with all Windows Operating Systems from XP/W2K3 up. Otherwise it wouldn’t make any sense.

@Fernando ,

Changelog typo refers to v1.2.0.1048 …

@Fernando

I have a Samsung SM961 512GB m.2 NVMe
I installed Windows 2016 Server on it, it installed without asking any drivers.
I don’t really get fast write speeds on it (see screenshot).

It’s probably because of the driver, when I look the disk up in the device manager, it’s using Microsoft Driver.
I tried downloading your driver pack, but it doesn’t recognize the disk.

Do you have any support for Windows Server 2012 or 2016?|addpics|cm8-1-ec77.jpg|/addpics|

@dirkdvs :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Which driver do you mean with "my driverpack"?

The Samsung NVMe driver v2.0.0.1607 should work with both Operating Systems.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I’ve used the following driver for the controller: Samsung NVMe drivers v2.0.0.1607 WHQL
I thaught I should be used on the disk driver also (when looking up in the device manager) because i have those slow write speeds…

I don’t understand why the read speed is OK but the write speed is bad…

No, you should not update the drivers of devices which are listed within the section "Disk Drives".

Maybe you forgot to set the optimized write-caching settings for your NVMe SSD. Look for point 8 within the start post of >this< thread.
By the way: Many of the other tips, which were primarily designed for AHCI users, are valid for NVMe users as well.

@dirkdvs ,

Samsung SM961 is very similar to 960 PRO. I use v2.0.0.1607 under W10 x64 Home v1607.

You should have this similar CDM score:

CDM_960PROonPCIEX16_3.PNG

As said Fernando, do you have properly set the ‘Strategy Policies’ ?

960PRO_Properties_settings.PNG

By curiosity can you provide the CrystalDiskInfo screenshot such as this one, so I can compare some essentials data (firmware and unsafe shutdown parameter) ?

CDM_960PRO_Unsafe_Shutdowns.PNG

With Samsung drivers, there is no need to check this box ‘Strategy Policies’ :slight_smile:

@tistou77

Why unchecking the ‘Strategiy Policies’ box do you get a HUGE less WRITE performance, (and better READ performance) ?

Do you have tested by yourself what you tell ?

CDM_960PRO_StragegyPolicy_Impact.PNG

Yes :slight_smile:

@tistou77

Here you can observe the huge WRITE performance impact when no checking the ‘Strategy Policy’ for a 960 PRO 1TB.

CDM_960PRO_StragegyPolicy_OO.PNG

Do you agree ?

I was talking about the 2nd box, the 1st being checked by default (and leaving as is)

With.PNG

Without.PNG

@tistou77 ,

Yes, checking the 2nd box has no performance impact for all Samsung NVMe (950 PRO, SM951, 960 PRO) and AHCI (SM951) SSD devices I have tested.

Is it possible for you to get a CristalDiskInfo screenshot of your 960 PRO 512GB ?

Yes the 2nd box is only checked with the Microsodf drivers

Capture.PNG

@Tistou,
Thanks for your screenshot, however the interesting SMART values are for 0D, 0E and 0F parameters.
Please, can you get a full screen like that, I am tracking the ‘unsafe shutdown issue’, may be related to Samsung driver

960PRO_Diskinfo.PNG

I have just checked it with my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD and I definitively see a performance impact.

1. Results after having just checked the first option of the Write-Caching Policies:

2. Results after having checked both options:

@Fernando ,
Here are tests done with 960 PRO.
With CDM I see no significant impact:

CDM_960PRO_StragegyPolicy_W0_1.PNG

CDM_960PRO_StragegyPolicy_WW.PNG

With ANVIL I see no significant impact:

ANVIL_960PRO_1TB_v2.0.0.1607_W0.PNG.jpg

ANVIL_960PRO_1TB_v2.0.0.1607_WW.PNG.jpg

What to say ?

Maybe the impact depends on the NVMe SSD model.
You have tested the Samsung 960 Pro, whereas I made my just published benchmark tests with a Samsung 950 Pro.