Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

I’ve integrated both Samsung and Windows default NVME drivers into my Windows 7 install disk. However, before I get to the setup screen, a dialogue pops up telling me that I have to select the device driver to continue. When I select either the Samsung or Windows drivers it pops up saying that my NVME is recognized but when I select NEXT it says “No new device drivers were found.Make sure your installation media blah blah blah.” I’ve turned off fastboot, secure boot, and tried with raid both on and off. I’ve tried booting from USB, DVD, and Sata. Any route I take, the system sees the nvme controller but it keeps giving that error message. There must be some configuration of settings I haven’t tried for my Z270 and 960 Evo that will let me do this…

nvme samsung driver latest 2.2
512 ssd 950 pro

@pope3909 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Why did you integrate more than 1 NVMe driver?
Which Samsung NVMe driver version did you integrate and where resp. how did you get the "Windows default NVMe driver"?
Have you already tried to boot off an original Win7 image and to use the "Load driver" option?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you kindly. I integrated both because I was having problems with the latest Samsung driver but I only selected one at a time so there was no conflict. They both recognize the NVME drive, albiet the Windows default drivers see it as a generic NVME. I already tried to boot from my original WIN7ULT disk but it doesn’t even let me get to the setup screen before it tells me that my device is not recognized. At first I was thinking that it was a USB3 error since my motherboard only has 3.0/3.1 ports, but I’ve even formatted a 2.5" as a WIN7 disk (circumventing USB completely) and booted from the sata port and still no dice.

@pope3909 :
I asked you for details about the used drivers, not for your eMail address.
This is a public Forum. If you don’t want to share your knowledge with other users, you are wrong here.
By the way: I have read your reply, but will not copy it. You can edit all your posts and delete its content yourself.

All I have is a folder with the drivers. How else am I supposed to get them to you to add to your main post? Stop being daft.

Does that mean, that you do not know anymore which specific NVMe driver you have integrated or loaded?

If you should have an interesting storage driver collection with important drivers, which are missing within the start post of this thread, please share them with us. You can either attach them as *.zip or *.rar archive or upload them to any hoster and post the link.

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• Intel NVMe drivers:
    • new: “pure” 32/64bit Intel NVMe Drivers v1.8.0.1011 mod+signed by me (done at 04/17/2017) dated 10/25/2016
    • Notes: Contrary to the original drives these mod+signed ones do additionallysuoort Intel NVMe SSDs, which belong to the Intel 600P Series. Thanks to eddie718 for the idea and the source files.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

HowTo extract Samsung’s NVM Express 2.x Driver:
- Download WiX Toolset (only the binaries)
- CMD: dark nvme.exe -x C:\SamsungNVMe

Was für eine schwere Geburt ^^

I wanted to take a moment and THANK Fernando for this list, especially the new Samsung driver for the SM961.

I am a person who likes to use the older version of Samsung Magician 4.9.7 as it allows me to test and see my Samsung SM961 m.2 drives. The latest version of Samsung Magician 5.0 does not. At this point I was using the Samsung 2.1 driver and it worked fine.

Well everything was working with the Windows Anniversary Build, but on April 11th, Windows started pushing out the Windows Creator’s Build. I went ahead and did a fresh install of it, installed the Samsung 2.1 version driver and installed Samsung Magician 4.9.7. Boom instant digital driver error. Now I knew that the Samsung 2.1 NVMe Driver was meant for the Samsung 960 pro/evo. The problem is since the SM961 is OEM Samsung often won’t put out any drivers of these drives so it is left to DELL/Lenovo/HP. I hadn’t found any of the updated drivers for my SM961, until I found the 2.2 version here. :slight_smile:

I spent three days trying to get the old 2.1 drivers working but it just bricked my windows installation over and over again. I had even given up and went back to the Windows Anniversary Build, until I found the driver here. I’m happy to say that this driver works with the Samsung sm961 (256 and 512gb), in Windows 10 Creators Build with Samsung Magician 4.9.7.

Thanks Fernando! :slight_smile:

I had the same problem with my 960 Pro. Magician just didn’t see the drive. But after i ran a benchmark (i think it was CristalDiskMark) it saw the drive! I could reproduce this behaviour every time i tried. But it’s not important to install Samsung Magician anyway as it does nothing…

I’ve been reading through the pages trying to find the answer that I need. Though it does appear to be there… I’m still unable to get my nvme drive to work. I have a new setup with a Samsung 960 Evo 250gb and I’m trying to install windows 7 (64 bit). I’ve been at this for the last 4 hours but nothing seems to work. I downloaded the files on the first post and I managed to be able to select the files and attempted to install it. It doesn’t work. Says that there was no hardware found for the selected drive (It may be another error - at this point I’m seeing double). I am able to select the Evo drive via Bios boot setup.

Has anyone recently installed a 960 evo nvme drive with the file listed on this thread - for Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ? If so, any tips ?

Edit: I’m running an asus z270 tuf mark 2 but considering this is nvme driver related, my specs aren’t going to matter.

Thank you.

@godsfury :

These are the preconditions to get Win7 installed onto a Samsung 960 SSD:
1. The "Secure Boot" and "Fast Boot" options of the BIOS should be disabled.
2. You have to boot the FAT32 formatted USB Flash Drive with the OS Image in UEFI mode (GUIMODE Partition Table is required).
3. You have to load a suitable NVMe driver, when the Win7 Setup comes to the point, where you have to determine the target drive for the installation (my advice: Samsung NVMe driver v2.2.0.1703).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you for that clarification. I will give that a try.

I haven’t been back to this thread for a while since posting my test results back in NOV-2014: Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers (8)
The laptop is still the same, but the SSD was upgraded to SSD 850 EVO 500GB (Samsung Magician 4.9.7 RAPID Mode Enabled) and Win x64 was reinstalled at some time.
Today I was running my hardware drivers update and discovered that my current system runs AMD AHCI v1.2.1.402 (latest W7x64 driver), so it made me curious to see if I can find any speed difference by rolling back to the AMD AHCI v1.2.1.359 again.
Once downgraded the driver and restarted the system, the overall GUI experience improved. I would say everything runs in about ~30-50% faster.
I do agree there will be no big difference for many guys, as their AMD-based system might have a better CPU model or larger RAM. Some users might also have multiple programs running in the tray, which I don’t have on my system.
Though, I’m talking about the difference of milliseconds which can be only recognized while working on your PC for long hours and feeling every little change on processing time of your system applications.
In my particular case, I’ve browsed the multiple windows with many files and sub-folders, then opened few multimedia web sites in Opera, Firefox, Chrome trying to remember its average processing time while running on AHCI v1.2.1.402.
Next, I’ve downgraded the driver, rebooted the system to re-browse all windows folders and web sites to see the difference. No doubt, everything runs and loads faster with AMD AHCI v1.2.1.359.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise NVMe Drivers Version 4.6.0.2125 WHQL

@all:
Update of the start post

Changelog:

• Intel RSTe NVMe RAID drivers:
    • new: 32/64bit Intel RSTe NVMe drivers v4.6.0.2116 WHQL dated 02/10/2017 for Win7 x86/x64
    • new: 32/64bit Intel RSTe NVMe drivers v4.6.0.2116 WHQL dated 02/10/2017 for Win8-10 x86/x64
    • new: Complete Intel RSTe NVMe Drivers & Software Set v4.6.0.2125 dated 02/24/2017 containing the Intel RSTe NVMe drivers v4.6.0.2116 WHQL
    • Notes:
      • Supported are all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up.
      • Supported are only Intel® Xeon Processor systems with an Intel C610 series chipset and Intel® Xeon Processor systems with an Intel C230 series chipset running an Intel SSDs of the 3700/P3600/P3500/750 Series.

Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for the source package.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi,

I have a 2TB Samsung 960 Pro that I am trying to install windows 7 on using the Samsung drivers you have provided here. The problem is that when I load the drivers, I am being told by the installation that the drivers are not singed and as such cannot be used. This is very strange as your blurb says that the drivers provided are Microsoft Certified!

Any help is much appreciated.

@takertx :

Which Samsung NVMe driver did you try to load/install? The v2.2.0.1703 ones, which I am offering within the start post of this thread, are WHQL certified by Microsoft and should be accepted by Win7.
Otherwise you may try >this< MS Hotfix.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando

Thank for the prompt reply and also for the welcome message!

In answer to your question, yes I am indeed downloading the v2.2.0.1703 WHQL for the 64Bit version of Windows 7, however as mentioned in my original post there seems to be something wrong with their certification as they are promptly rejected by the Windows 7 Installation as "not suitable due to not being signed by Microsoft" according to the Windows Installation process.

Since I needed my laptop ASAP, I have tried the Microsoft NVMe drivers as you have suggested in your reply and installed Windows 7 on my laptop. However the problem is that the drive is not as snappy as it should be with the Microsoft Generic NVMe drivers. Also, Samsung Magician cannot detect the drive after its installation for firmware updates.

The Crystal Disk benchmark is also very different (Lower) on the Microsoft NVMe drivers compared to the people who have run the same benchmark on the 960 Pro with the Samsung drivers online when reviewing the drive.

Any help is much appreciated.
Regards.