Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Hi Fernando (gruessi Dieter)

thanks for your prompt response! ‘System Browser’ is a page within the BIOS itself, that allows you to view the cards/devices installed in each slot/port/etc.
I think it is particular to the ASRock Motherboards and perhaps just some chipset series.

Yes, I thought I maybe should have posted this in the thread about Bios modding.
However, your response about drivers enabled me to resolve the issue.
I had to search for the drivers you mentioned and install them.
Ba da bing! It works, so thank you!

The B + M card is a PCIex adaptor for the 2 main types of physical Nvme interface - see https://www.google.com.au/search?q=nvme+…1F8TN8ge-4ZqIBA
Motherboards without a physical interface need an adaptor like this. This is in contrast to the mSata interface, which is a different technology, used mostly in laptops a few years ago.

This post should maybe/also be in the thread about bios modding, as I can confirm it is possible to mod the ASrock Z77 Extreme4M bios 1.80 to include Nvme support.
In fact, here is the modded BIOS file, in case anyone needs it.

Have a great day!

AsrockZ77e4m190modded.zip (4.13 MB)

@Binetti :
Thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that you were able to solve your NVMe driver problem, and I am happy, that I could help you.

Regarding the offer of your successfully modded ASRock Z77 Extreme4M BIOS I recommend to start a new thread within >this< Sub-Forum and to offer it there. Otherwise interested users will not find it.

Hi Fernando
I am looking for some help as losing hopes here.
For the past 4 nights, I am trying to reduce boot time on my Toshiba 512GB XG3 series drive.
System spec is
Acer F5-573G-53LW
Intel I5-7200, 8GB DDR4, on Captains Acer Board. + 512 Toshiba Drive* and DVD (Standard HDD currently removed)
*Toshiba XG3 Series THNSN5512GPU7 - solid state drive - 512 GB - PCI Express 3.1 x4 (NVMe)
Installed drivers from your forum OCZ Standard series for NVMe drive.
NVMe drive is visible under device manager and under disc diagnostic tools. Before OCZ drivers were installed, device manager was listing 4x Toshiba drives and the drive was not visible under AIDA64 or any other diagnostic tool but was functional under the system. Booting time was still very slow.

After reading some other forums suggestions, I have removed HDD drive and booted system, also I installed boot racer and boot analyzer to track the delay. Unfortunately, the system is still booting almost 2 minutes. When reading the data from apps it shows that majority of time 80 seconds is taken by Windows boot. The system is clean and only 5 other applications are installed, but these are not taking longer than 7 seconds + desktop another 10 (which is standard)
So I went and tried to play in msconfig. Under boot tab I have checked PCI lock box. (hence new SSD is PCI ) Restarted the system and I was amazed, it loaded in 8 seconds from the restart to log on screen. I was like delighted, but only for short time. I have noticed that my touchpad wasn’t working, the keyboard was fully functional.
Went to DEVICE MANAGER and noticed that under STORAGE CONTROLLERS - are 4 XG3 (NVME controllers ) but 3 are disabled and the message was popping out that device didn’t have enough resources to start and is disabled.
I tried to reinstall touchpad driver but didn’t work. After reboot system booted again in 8seconds but still no mouse.
Then I restored previous settings and was trying to disable 3 XG3 controllers myself, however on the attempt, the system was crashing with a message that critical resource failure. The system went to normal 3 minutes boot time.
So I am really thinking that for whatever reason I won’t be able to use this Toshiba drive, I have ordered SATA one and when it arrives I will install Windows to see if it makes changes and most likely will resell Toshiba. A drive is fully functional I have tested it with various diagnostic tools and all is fine, but I just can’t understand why my ACER is not liking it or what is causing this huge delay. Or maybe I am missing some Intel CHIP driver, but losing my hopes now. It is like 3 nights in the row until 3 am trying to figure this out.
If you have any other suggestions it would be grateful.

Hopefully, this makes sense and idea would be much appreciated.
thank you

@bart877ie :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The very long boot time indicates, that there is something wrong with the initialization of the SSD.
Questions:
1. Has the Toshiba NVMe SSD been within the Acer notebook from scratch or did you insert it?
2. Is the Toshiba NVMe SSD your system drive, that means does it contain the OS and the EFI Boot Partition with the Windows Boot Manager?
3. Which OS are you running?
4. Do you know, which resp. what sort of NVMe module is within the BIOS of your notebook?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Dieter
Ad1. - No, it is upgraded (full spec is in the post above)
Ad2. - Yes, it is my system drive, I have removed HDD to eliminate boot file issue, BIOS is set to UEFI
Ad3. - WINDOWS 10 Home - it came preinstalled on HDD with ACER, I have created MS Account in order to create digital copy of license
Ad4. - Could you elaborate a little bit more, not sure that I understand your question correctly? SATA mode is AHCI

hwinfo2.PNG

Did you check, whether any NVMe SSD resp. especially your Toshiba SSD will be 100% supported by your Acer notebook?

The SATA mode doesn’t matter, because your Toshiba SSD neither uses a SATA connection nor the AHCI protocol.
To be able to boot off an NVMe SSD in UEFI mode, the mainboad BIOS must contain a matching NVMe EFI module, which will be loaded at each booting/rebooting procedure. This NVMe module intializes the NVme Controller, which is within your NVMe SSD.
That is why I recommend to ask the ACER Support my above written question.

Guys whats the recommend drivers for Corsair MP500 960gb? They have no official drivers at all, i can choose between windows default driver or enabling RST support in BIOS and then its detected by Intel RST manager and installs Intel driver, but for some reason with Intel driver during idle its 5 degrees Celsius hotter, right now its 55 degrees Celsius and with inlet its 59-60 degrees delicious and as far as i tested no speed increase using Intel RST mode.
Also for some reason i dont get rated speed, when i had another but 128gb MP500 both installed and verified that PCIE x4 modes on, i got 960MB/s file copy speeds
Now i dont have otehr NVME device so my only way to test is benchmark,i get 2300MB/s read and 1300MB/s writes, but rated its 3000MB/s reads and 2000Mb/s Writes

Im on z360 Gigabyte Gaming 7 with 8700K and 32GB of RAM, NVME is at x4 mode Turn off write cache buffer flushing checkbox is enabled (otherwise its starts fast but gets slow), also initially it was formatted with def ult NTFS 4K but it also got slowdowns so it was reformatted with 64K clusters
So i did 2 things that i could to boost the speed and based on my copy tests when i had that otehr NVME drive it helped

P.S. Whats more annoying is when i had otehr NVME drive and installed it in x2 slot i had the same 960MB/s copy speed just like if it was in x4 slot
Maybe the issue was the 128GB drive? it was way too slow? But my benchmarks also below the rated speed 2300/1200 instead of 3000/2000

Any ideas?

@Wontell :

Only users of this specific NVMe SSD can answer this question. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a Corsair MP500.
This is my comment regarding the benchmark results you got:
1. Each individual SSD may give the user different benchmark results. The manufacturer’s statement regarding the speed is always “Up to …”.
2. The benchmark results depend on more than just the specific SSD.
>this<3. If you want to boost the benchmark results, you should read the start post of thread and follow the related advices (if applicable).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers:
    • refreshed: “pure” 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers v3.2.3.0 WHQL for Win8/8.1/10 dated 11/19/2017 (shown as being dated 08/21/2017)
    • refreshed: Complete ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID Drivers & Installer Set v3.2.3.0 WHQL dated 11/20/2017
      containing the above listed and the other previously offered drivers (including the older XP/W2k3 drivers v3.2.0.0 WHQL)

Thanks to Station-Drivers for the source package.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

In case you’re utilizing AHCI, it might appear under “IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers” as a “Standard SATA AHCI Controller,” and not as a “Capacity controller” like a RAID driver would. My machine is in RAID mode yet, regardless I see two of them for both the Marvel controller and in addition the ASMedia eSATA controller and it’s disclosing to me that my 500GB Linux drive is removable. Sound recognizable? I would download the most recent form of the drivers from Intel’s webpage for use amid establishment and introduce the AHCI driver physically and check whether it will take. I presume you’re utilizing the non specific Microsoft Marvell drivers.

@akash9 :
To whom did you address your post?

Intel’s AHCI drivers will not work with Marvell or ASMedia SATA Controllers.

The SATA AHCI Controllers can only use either the generic MS AHCI driver or the specific AHCI driver, which has been released by the manufacturer of the Controller. There are no “Microsoft Marvell drivers”.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando ,
About MS native W10 x64 RS3 NVMe driver I observe different version number on my PC such as:

MS_NVMe_driver.PNG

MS_NVMe_driver_Properties.PNG

Is it normal ?
What is the proper identification version (.15 or .98) ?

@100PIER :
Usually they bump the version numbers to coincide with their OS updates. If they release a new update say 104, You might observe the sys and inf would sometimes be updated to that build 104 or sometimes it shows old version. Are you seeing degraded performance after the update?

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by a directly addressing to the author (to save space)

@Vasudev
I have not observed significant performance difference for native MS NVMe driver when upgrading W10 from RS2 to RS3.

@100PIER :
Vasudev is right.
The Device Manager just shows, what it sees within the related INF file (bad example: Intel’s Chipset Device INF files), but doesn’t look into the code of the related real driver (= *.SYS file).

Consequences:
1. The driver (= *.SYS file) may be updated, but this cannot be detected by looking into the Device Manager.
2. If you want to know, whether the code of the driver itself (= *.SYS file) has been silently updated, you have to compare the different versions of the *.SYS file by using an Hex Editor.

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• AMD AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers:
    • new: 64bit AMD NVMe RAID drivers v9.1.0.18 WHQL dated 12/05/2017
      This NVMe RAID driver is only usable with AMD X399 Chipset systems running Win10 x64

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi all, new to this forum. I have a question regarding the Samsung NVMe drivers for Windows 7 (in this case, 64bit) found by reference on the first page of this forum. The file available for download there, is password protected at the archive (RAR) level. Is there some way to obtain this file, which seems to be held in an absurd shell game of ‘hide the pea’ on the Internet; and I cannot find anywhere unbundled in a form accessible to a new Widows OS build?

It should be obvious that merely running the Samsung utility; whatever its name may supposedly be; on an existing installed instance of Windows, does not enable the presence of this NVMe driver in a NEW installation. Thank you very much for your attention here.

@tradewisdom :

None of the downloadable *.RAR files, which are offered within this Forum, is password protected, but you have to use an unzip tool, which supports the WinRAR v5 compression method.
What is your problem and which message did you get?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Well, this is a pleasant surprise; I had not expected such a quick reply. I have screenshots (4) of my latest attempt just now, to gain access to this specific file; as downloaded from a link provided earlier in the forum; showing that the file is, indeed, password protected. PeaZip handles RAR files well and I have never had a problem with RAR files from any source. If that would be a possible problem, then please verify this as a potential conflict.

By the way, regarding an earlier topic found explicated in forums on your site here, about two years ago; I never was able to get C60x/X79 ACHI working in Windows XP Professional 64; it’s too bad that UEFI didn’t exist for official installations of that OS - the first built on an NT codebase (the 32-bit version was still Win98/ME thread, at the time) - and, contains most of the best of what Microsoft ever produced in any OS, with none of the user surveillance (“Spyware”) aspects later and currently found in all Microsoft OSs starting with updates to Windows 7. Can you already tell, that it is still, my old favorite? :wink:

Also, I’m an old veteran of the OS Wars of the 1980’s and fondly remember the Amiga as the best small computer system going; there even was a UNIX workstation version of the Amiga 3000; which the IBM PCs could never have even aspired to, let alone achieved. I also remember an earnest German-based enclave of Amiga users and supporters; as there was comparatively good internationalization compared to the Macs and PCs of those days.

if there is some way I can post the screenshots to you, then please let me know. Thanks again for your time and specific attention.

@tradewisdom :
Please give me the download link to the file, which you think is password protected, and the link to the post, where you found the link.

>Here< you can find a short guide about how to make a clean screenshot of a certain open window and >here< is my guide about how to insert the related screenshot(s) by using the Forum software.