Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@Fernando : that was a great tip!
I couldn’t set Rufus to the exact options you specified (it complained about some files being >4GB and changed to NTFS instead). It was not possible to boot straight away from it, but since I disabled ‘Secure Boot’ everything worked! Windows installer loaded required drivers itself. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Any thoughts on including the KingSpec NVMe Drivers?

Where are such drivers and how can I get them?
A link would be fine.

Hi, All–
hoping I can get help here.

I have a Dell XPS, with a LiteON 256gb SSD (256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Solid State Drive). However, I have not been able to find any firmware/driver updates for the Drive and the one provided by Dell does not seem to work.
I see the “Standard NVM Express Controller” seems to be using an old windows driver dated as of 2006. The Hardware ID is: PCI/VEN_14A4&DEV_2300&SUBSYS_10931B4B
Hardware ID on the drive is: SCSI/DiskNVMe_CA3-8D256-Q11_NV

Any help would be appreciated!

Hello Fernando. Thank you for making drivers for win7. It very useful. About year ago i download driver for samsung 960 evo for win7 and all work fine. At this week i try download driver for new 970 evo, but all drivers in folder samsung are damaged (https://s33.postimg.cc/d8d0j2ipr/123.jpg). Winrar cant unarchive. Please check samsung drivers in both mega and onedrive. Other drivers unarchive fine. If you can please send me drivers to smash1000 (dog) mail.ru Sorry for my bad english.

Where are such drivers and how can I get them?
A link would be fine.

Heres the link to the page where they are dropped:
http://www.kingspec.com/download.html#box_xz_tab5

its… in a container in a container that i havent managed to care to dig into to get the raw drivers… sorry :confused: maybe someone with more skill can do so :frowning:

@vCanalla :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The only NVMe driver, which supports the NVMe Controller of LiteON NVMe SSDs, is the generic MS Win10 in-box one.
By the way: The MS NVMe driver is brandnew, although Micrososoft has given it the date 06/21/2006 (this is the date of all Win10 in-box drivers!).

@smash :
The related driverpacks are ok, but all uploaded *.RAR archives, which are offered within this Forum, are compressed by WinRAR v5.xx, which uses a new/better compression technique. So you have to take either WinRAR 5.xx or 7-Zip v18xx to unzip them. Outdated WinRAR versions v4.xx are not able to do it.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for the link.
It doesn’t contain any KingSpec NVMe driver, but just the MS NVMe Hotfixes KB2990941 for Win7 x86/x64.

Thanks for the link.
It doesn’t contain any LiteON NVMe driver, but just the MS NVMe Hotfixes KB2990941 for Win7 x86/x64.

You mean any Kingspec driver? you said LiteOn… either way, if its just the MS NVMe Hotfix, then it must also use the default windows NVMe driver.

@Net7 :

Yes, I meant KingSpec, but wrote LiteOn - my bad.
Meanwhile I have corrected my error within the original post.

Hi Fernando. Really hoping you could help us with a issue.

We have Dell Precision 7510s with Samsung PM981 drives installed. When we have the BIOS set to AHCI, we can see the drive fine and install Win10. When switching the BIOS to RAID On, and attempting to install Win10, we can no longer see the drive during the Win10 Install. I have tried loading the Latest Intel Rapid Storage Drivers during the install process, but the drive still does not show up. Any thoughts?

Many Thanks

Yostie

@Yostie :

Your problem seems to be BIOS or mainboard related and has probably nothing to do with the in-use NVMe driver.
Why do you want to set the Intel SATA Controller to “RAID” mode at all?
Which are the HardwareIDs of the NVMe Controller and the on-board Intel SATA Controller running in AHCI/RAID mode?
If you need to set the Intel SATA Controller to “RAID” mode, but can only install Win10 onto the NVMe SSD, when the the Intel SATA Controller is running in “AHCI” mode, I recommend to install the OS at first and to switch the IDE mode of the SATA Controller to “RAID” thereafter.

Which Intel RST driver version did you load and to which INF file did you point?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando,

In my HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF I’m using your recommend Intel RST(e) drivers v14.8.18.1066. Now I’ve tried 14.5.0.1081 (driver from HP, unfortunately with Intel utility installed) which gave much better results. Through Windows Device Manager I got 14.5.1.1087 which also gives better results.

Is this typical for my PC or is 14.5.x to recommend over 14.8 in general?

And where to find these 14.5.x drivers on your site?

@Kees030 :
The Intel AHCI/RAID drivers, which I recommend within the start post of this thread, may not be the best for everyone, because each system is somehow different.

What do you mean with “better results”? If it should be the performance, please post the benchmark results.
Are you running the Intel SATA Controller in AHCI or RAID mode?
Which chipset has your HP EliteDesk?

Nowhere, because according to my own driver comparison tests the Intel RST(e) drivers v14.6.5.1036 and v14.8.18.1066 are newer and the better choice for users, who want/need to use a v14 platform RST(e) AHCI/RAID driver.

@Fernando. Thanks for your response.

I mean better Read and Write Seq and 4K and access times. Exception Write Seq with 14.5.1.1087. I can’t figure out how to paste screenshots here; added files instead.
I’m running in AHCI mode. Chipset (according to Aida64): Motherboard: Intel Lynx Point Q87, Intel Haswell; IDE Controller: Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller.

EDIT by Fernando:
Here are the screenshots while running different Intel RST(e) AHCI driver versions:
(left: v14.8.18.1066, middle: v14.5.0.1081, right: v14.5.1.1087)
[[File:SanDisk SD6SB1M-128G-1006-3-IsMyHdOK-14.8.18.1066»920,7.png|none|auto]][[File:SanDisk SD6SB1M-128G-1006-3-IsMyHdOK-14.5.0.1081(HP)»995,7.png|none|auto]][[File:SanDisk SD6SB1M-128G-1006-3-IsMyHdOK-14.5.1.1087(Win-bijw.)»923,5.png|none|auto]]

@Kees030 :
Thanks for the benchmark results. I have inserted them into your post and added the related driver version.

>Here< is a guide about how to do it.

Hi, I have a question that is likely off topic but I was wondering if you could help.

We are having some issues getting a Win 7 Pro image onto a bunch of HP elitedesk 800 g3 minis. I was able to get a bootable USB working that can see the NVMe drive (KXG50ZNV256G) and I’m able to install the OS fine but after it reboots we get a inaccessible_boot_device 0x7b BSOD.

We got these from the MFG with Win 7 on them so I know there has to be a way to make this work.

I’m going to make a bootable USB using Rufus that only has the hotfixes and USB3 drivers injected. Do you know what else I need to do to the USB to make this work?

@jamaljackson :

The 0x7b BSOD indicates, that the boot sector uses a wrong (not matching) storage driver.
Which “Hotfixes” did you integrate into the Win7 image?
Provided, that the BIOSes of the HP Elitedesks contain the required NVMe EFI module, you had inserted the Win7 NVMe Hotfix and the missing USB 3.0 drivers into the Win7 image, started the Win7 installation in UEFI mode and had chosen the GUIMode partition table for the target drive, everything should work fine.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Hi how are you, we haven’t talked in a long time,

I have a question,

I am using the Lenovo ThinkPad E480 i5 8250U
I bought an ADATA NVMe M.2 SSD to this PC,
but now I use windows 10 standard driver, should I install a different driver for this?
I shared the picture below,

Thank you for your help …

@tecnics :
If you are not completely satisfied with the performance of the generic MS Win10 in-box NVMe driver, I recommend to try the generic Intel RST NVMe driver v16.5.5.1040 WHQL or v16.7.0.1012 WHQL instead.
You can find the results of my NVMe driver comparison tests done with my Xiaomi notebook within the start post of >this< thread.
Note:
To get the generic Intel NVMe driver properly installed, you have to manually update the in-use driver of the listed “Standard NVM Express Controller” by
1. using the “Update driver” > “Browse my computer…” > “Let me pick…” options,
2. hitting the “Have Disk” button, browsing to the Intel RST driver folder and choosing the INF file named “iaStorAC.inf” and
3. choosing the listed “Intel(R) NVMe Controller” and skip the warning you get.
Don’t forget to set a Restore Point before you start with the driver update.