Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Hi to guru3d fellow

Hello Fernando,

I have a GA-MA78GPM-UD2H (rev. 1.0) AMD 780G + SB700 Chipset. I have installed Windows 8.1 I tried installing the newest drivers on this thread and get awful stuttering in games ( v1.3.1.245 WHQL - 9/23/14). I have also tried the older drivers posted here and have the same thing (v1.3.1.220 WHQL - 3/21/14).

The only drivers I have been able to use without having awful stuttering is v1.3.1.154 - 6/27/13. It works alright, but I would like to use a newer driver if I could find one that works. Can you guys help?

Edit - Attached is my Hardware ID information.

AMD-SATA.JPG

@ spidertaker:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

What about the Win8.1 in-box AHCI driver named STORAHCI.SYS? I don’t know any newer AHCI driver, which is suitable for your system.

Happy New Year!
Fernando

Thanks for the quick reply!

I haven’t tried that. How would I install that? Would be ok to use in my system? I have a Samsung evo 840 and a 2tb wd black hdd.

Open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager, right click onto the listed device named "AMD SATA Controller" and choose the options "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my Computer…" > "Let me pick…" and make sure, that the option "Show compatible devices" is checked. Then choose the listed "Standard SATA AHCI Controller".
After the next reboot all drives, which are connected to any of the AMD SATA ports, are managed by the generic MS AHCI driver named STORAHCI.SYS.

Yes!

Thanks for the procedure. That was much easier than I thought it would be!

I was able to "update" to the out of box ahci drivers. I do not get any stuttering in games with those drivers. Weird the Microsoft drivers works better? Weird that the date on the out of box drivers say 2006 lol.

With the AMD drivers I was using I had some weird "pauses" during operation since installing my SSD. They were even worse when I tried to use RAPID mode in the Samsung Magician software. Maybe I will have less problems with the out of box driver.

I did have slightly higher benchmark scores with the out of box driver in magician.

Thanks for your help!

They may be better than the AMD ones, yes.

The Win8.1 in-box MS AHCI driver is dated 08/22/2013. You can verify it by searching for the file named STORAHCI.SYS within the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder, right clicking onto it and choosing the "Properties" > "Details" tabs.

Here is for crossing my fingers it works better for me. I will keep testing.

You are correct it does say 8/22/13 when I look at the actual file.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded quoted text deleted (to save space) and reformatted the post

Fernando, i love your dedication and appreciate the help given to others over the years.

Need some info on my setup:

amd sb850, one ssd, win7 64 installed a few months ago when i had another two hdds in raid 0. I have removed the hard drives and i only have the ssd. The sata ports are still in raid mode with the latest 1540 driver.

Can i switch to ahci and install 1.2.1.376 without reinstalling windows?

iorg, I believe the situation you have is similar to when you installed OS while configured in IDE mode and want to switch to AHCI after that.
Just switching to AHCI would normally result in BSOD during the boot - you could even try and check that out, there is no harm.

So all you need, is to follow these simple steps:
1. In BIOS switch to IDE mode and boot Windows.
2. Open regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci, change the parameter Start to 0.
Or just save this as msahci.reg and import it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci]
"Start"=dword:00000000

3. Reboot and switch to AHCI in BIOS. Boot.

Can’t boot in IDE mode. BSOD when loading windows.

The system was not installed in IDE mode. Straight raid with “load drivers” from usb.

@ iorg
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Ikanffy had written, that you have to switch the AMD SATA Controller to "AHCI" and not to "IDE" mode while rebooting.

Good luck and Happy New Year!
Fernando

So as i am now in RAID mode, i just change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci start to 0 and restart in ahci?

His advice was to first go from raid to ide and then change the reg. That didn’t work.

Edit: That doesn’t work also. Changing the msahci reg in raid mode, restart, set sata ahci, bsod. Back to raid mode…

Yes, you may try that, but dont forget to do a backup of your important personal data before doing that.
By the way: I always prefer a fresh re-installation using the desired SATA mode instead of a SATA mode switch from within a running OS. This procedure is much safer and has the additional advantage of an absolutely "clean", fast and stable system.

I didn’t see any restrictions for posting links to another resources, so here it is, this should help you, iorg:
Changing from RAID to AHCI, there is a lot more to google by keywords: windows 7 raid to ahci

Edit: Deleted a wrong link-solution for Intel chipset.

This guide had been written for users with an Intel Chipset mainboard, who want to switch the SATA mode from "IDE" to "AHCI".
The user iorg has an AMD chipset system and wants to switch from "RAID" to "AHCI" mode.

Actually, I hold the same opinion, but if short on time - there is always a compromise.
In this case: switch Windows to AHCI-mode, and at least check that TRIM is working properly.
Also you can use some tweaks to improve SSD performance. This should be enough for starters.

Epic win!

Start = 0 for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi was the trick!

This could be in the first post or whatever for future reference.

To go from raid to ahci mode, start 0 for both

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi

Restart, set ahci, boot. Windows will install the standard ahci driver. Restart or install the amd driver, another restart and it all should be fine.

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify returns 0, so it’s all good.

Happy new year!

Hi Fernando !

Recently I got an Asrock Q1900M with an Intel Celeron J-1900 SoC on it.
Win-7 Pro 64-Bit and Linux (Scientific Linux 6.6, 64-Bit) installation went smooth… but installing Win XP (64-Bit, Pro,SP-1) did NOT succeed.
I can nowhere find the required (textmode) AHCI driver : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F23&SUBSYS_0F231849&REV_0E
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F23&SUBSYS_0F231849, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F23&CC_010601, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F23&CC_0106
to slipstream it with nLite into a bootable XP-Pro-64 CD-ROM instal disk.
Can you integrate this AHCI driver into your excellent driver package, please ?
Thanks in advance.

@ topokarli:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The CPU doesn’t matter, the only important thing for an XP installation is the Chipset resp. the Southbridge specification of your board.

If you should be able to boot into Win7, open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager and look for the HardwareIDs of the listed AHCI Controller (right click onto it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs").

This device is named "Intel(R) Pentium(R) processor N- and J-series / Intel(R) Celeron(R) processor N- and J-series AHCI - 0F23" and is not an Intel SATA AHCI Controller.
It is supported by a simple INF file named VLV2AHCI.inf, which belongs to the Intel Chipset Device Software. I have attached this INF file and the associated .CAT file, but these files will not help you to get XP x64 installed in AHCI mode.

No, because I can only integrate a real driver named iaStor.sys, which supports the special Intel SATA AHCI Controller of your system, but until now I neither know the name nor the HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel ATA AHCI Controller.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Intel Chipset INF file VLV2AHCI.rar (13.9 KB)