Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Windows 10 driver doesn’t have this option.

edit: solution for all Marvell 88SE91xx controllers
https://www.overclock.net/forum/320-raid…ml#post23336914

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e97b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}]
"EnumPropPages32"="mv91xxm.dll,ESATAPortPropPageProvider"

The HardwareIDs depend on the related device and not on the OS or the in-use driver.
You can easily find out the HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller by running the Device Manager, expanding the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section, doing a right-click onto the listed AHCI Controller (may be named “Standard AHCI Controller”) and choosing the options “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”.

Hello Fernando and all

I need to install windows 7 in Dell PowerEdge T130
what Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers should i use ?

Thanks

@sinan :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The choice of the “best” storage driver doesn’t depend on the model name, but on the chipset and the SSD/HDD configuration of the system.
Please run the Device Manager, expand the “IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers” and “Storage Controllers” sections and tell me the names of the listed Controllers.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I’m trying to install Windows 7 on a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD.
I’m currently failing to properly load the driver (I think?) during the installation process. I used MSI smart tools to create an image of my Windows 7 DVD and to integrate the necessary drivers from MSI’s site (It didn’t properly finish though, it got stuck on the last step but apparently it works.) Then I used ntlite to integrate the two necessary Win7 updates into the image as well as the Samsung NVMe driver for Win7 64bit from this thread. Now apparently it doesn’t load the integrated driver, so I copied the “pure” files onto my USB stick and loaded them manually during the installation process when asked. Now the peculiar thing is, before loading the driver, the SSD is visible in the list of selectable Drives for installation, but as soon as the driver is loaded it disappears from there.
Now I’m not quite sure what to do to resolve this problem, maybe you know what the problem might be?

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

@King_Crimson :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

I don’t know the exact reason why the NVMe SSD was not visible anymore after having loaded the Samsung NVMe driver, but it is never a good idea to load a driver during the OS installation, if a working driver for the same device (here: Samsung NVMe Controller) had already been integrated into the OS Image.
This is what I recommend to do:
1. Integrate just the MS NVMe Hotfix for Win7 into the BOOT.WIM and INSTALL.WIM of your desired Win7 Image.
2. Enter the BIOS and disable the options “Secure Boot” and “Fast Boot” and allow the BIOS to load UEFI modules while booting.
3. Let the tool Rufus create a USB Flash Drive containing your freshly customized Win7 image, which is ready for booting in UEFI mode.
4. Remove/unplug all other HDDs/SSDs except the target NVMe SSD.
5. Boot off your USB Flash Drive in UEFI mode and install the OS onto your NVMe SSD without loading any additional driver.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers
Standard SATA AHCI Controller
Storage Controllers
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
PERC H330 Adapter

@sinan :
Additionally I need the HardwareIDs of the devices named “Standard SATA AHCI Controller” and “PERC H330 Adapter”.
You can get them by doing a right-click onto the related devices and choosing the options “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”.

I tried switching from samsung nvme driver to ofa generic nvme driver for my windows 10 machine with samsung 970 evo and now I’m stuck in an automatic repair loop after restarting the system. Any thoughts? System restore doesn’t work too when trying to restore a file in my onedrive folders.

Ok, I fixed the issue by disabling secure boot. But I thought running the system in secure boot to make sure that all UEFI devices are running in UEFI mode is best practice?

@Fernando

Take note that I was using secure boot with the 970 EVO NVMe drive for a few months now until I did this. New motherboards allow booting off nvme drivers using secure boot already.

Yes, but what you probably mean is not the “Secure Boot” option, but the “Compatibility Support Module (CSM)” option within the BIOS. It makes sense to boot in “clean UEFI mode” (only possible after having DISABLED CSM), but this requires, that the BIOS file contains matching EFI modules for all devices, which need them while booting (e.g. Storage Controller and Graphics Adapter).

It’s may be a latest version, but not a latest date. There is a 1.3.1.276 driver (not 1.3.1.277) but is of 1 April 2017 date, and what you are bringing is 1.3.1.277 it’s 15 April 2015 date.
https://www.drvhub.net/devices/controlle…sata-controller

So what’s is better, last version or last date?

Ok, that makes sense.
But still for protection against rootkits, I would want to boot with secure boot. Secure boot was working 100% with my nvme drive until I install the OFNVME driver. And now even though I revert to the Samsung or the Microsoft driver, I can’t boot with secure boot enabled. It just gives an automatic repair boot loop. I imagine I violated some secure boot parameter by using the OFNVME driver. Do you know how to reset this? I tried clearing and reinstalling the secure boot keys and that really did not fix it.

Also, for the OFNVME driver why would you need to install the winraid cert to your trusted CA cert store? Do these drivers use public certs as well?

@lior19 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Foru,m and thanks for the link to the AMD AHCI driver v1.3.1.276 dated 04/01/2017.

Neither the version nor the date of a storage driver is really important, it is just the functionality and the impact on the system’s performance, which counts.
Since I cannot test your linked driver myself (no AMD chipset system available here), please find it out yourself and report here your result.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@kevindd992002 :

Not really. AFAIK the “Secure Boot” option has to be disabled, unless the BIOS natively supports booting off an NVMe SSD (the system BIOS files don’t know anything about the detected disk drive named “PATA”).

The original OFA NVMe drivers only have an expired test signature given by the OFA team.

Standard SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A102&SUBSYS_06AA1028&REV_31
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A102&SUBSYS_06AA1028
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A102&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A102&CC_0106
PERC H330 Adapter
PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_005F&SUBSYS_1F441028&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_005F&SUBSYS_1F441028
PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_005F&CC_010400
PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_005F&CC_0104

Thank you Dieter.

@sinan :
The HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel SAT AHCI Controller verify, that your system has an Intel 100-Series Chipset (like my PC).
You can find the Intel AHCI drivers, which I recommend to use with such system, at the bottom of the start post of >this< thread.

Regarding the RAID driver for your PERC RAID array I cannot help you. Please look into the PERC Support pages.

@lior19 :
I have downloaded your linked driverpack, but I was not able to find your announced AMD AHCI driver v1.3.1.276 dated 04/01/2017 within it.
Please attach the extracted “pure” 32/64bit drivers as *.ZIP or *.RAR archive and I will offer them within the start post of this thread.

@Fernando
Thank you for your super fast response.
I followed your instructions and was able to successfully install Win7 on my Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD. You’re a godsend.

Edit:
Now I’m faced with a different not entirely unrelated problem.
The SSD now only loads in UEFI, but in UEFI my other drives aren’t being detected, meaning the installation DVD’s for the drivers aren’t being read and I also don’t have access to my HDDs.
Is there a way to fix this?

Edit2:
Already took care of it.
Thanks again.

@Fernando

And yes, my mobo’s UEFI/BIOS natively supports booting off of an NVMe SSD while secure boot is enabled. I’m 100% sure of that as I installed and have been using my system for a few months now with secure boot enabled. It’s one of those things that I made sure of before even installing Windows 10. I’m just not sure why after installing the OFnvme driver, it’s no longer working.

Do you have any more ideas?

@King_Crimson :
What means “Already took care of it”? Were you able to solve the problem, that Windows couldn’t see some of your other disk drives? If yes, what exactly did you do?

@kevindd992002 :
None of the OFA drivers has been WHQL certified by Microsoft. This fact may be the reason, that you are/were not able to boot off your NVMe SSD with enabled “Secure Boot” option while running any OFA driver.
If you should not even be able to boot off your NVMe SSD in “Secure Boot” mode after having replaced the OFA driver by the generic MS NVMe driver or a WHQL certified third party NVMe driver, you should ask Microsoft. It seems, that the registry remembers everything (Once not trusted - forever not 100% trusted).