Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Fernando,
I got your modded Universal 64bit Intel RST Software v15.9.4.1041 to install, sort of.

It gave an error "Could not write value IsSystemOnBattery to key \System\CurrentControSet\Services\iaStorAC\Parameters\Device. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

I chose Ignore and it continued until it gave another error "Service ‘Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology’ (IAStorDataMgrSvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I am running an administrator account.

It does appear to have installed the files in C: > Program Files > Intel > Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology.

After restart, the RST icon does appear in the system tray, but the IRST service is not running, and when I try to manually start it, I get the error "Windows could not start the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology service on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."

Also, clicking on the IAStorUI.exe gives another error, "The Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver is missing or has not been installed properly."

Any thoughts?
Thanks again

@Arctucas :
Since within this Forum there is already a thread available, which covers your request, I have moved your problem and the related discussion into it and hope, that this is ok for you.
Now to your problem:
To be able to help you, I need the following information:
1. With which SATA mode (AHCI or RAID) do you use the on-board Intel SATA Controller?
2. Which are the HardwareIDs of the Intel SATA Controller (right-click onto it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs")?
3. Did you install the Windows-Feature MS .NET Framework 3.5, before you installed the Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set?

Fernando,

No problem, you can move it to where ever it needs to be.

1. As I cannot get Windows installed to a RAID array, I have AHCI set in BIOS.
2. PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_0612&SUBSYS_10601B21&REV_02.
3. .NET was installed first.

@Arctucas :

Have you created any RAID array? If yes, to which on-board SATA ports (Intel or ASMedia) are the members of the RAID array connected?

These are the HardwareIDs of an "Asmedia 106x SATA Controller" and not of any Intel one.

Fernando,

I must apologize, I obviously neglected to mention I have two Samsung 960EVO nvme M.2 drives.

@Arctucas :
PCIe/M.2 connected NVMe SSDs need other drivers than SATA connected ones.
Why did you try to get any of my modded Intel AHCI/RAID drivers installed and why did you install the Intel RST Software?

OK, which drivers do I need?

It depends on the HardwareIDs of the NVMe Controller and the OS you are running.

Device Manager says Samsung NVMe controller PCI\VEN_144D&DEV_A804&SUBSYS_A801144D&REV_00.
Driver version: 3.0.0.1802.
W7Ux64 SP1.

@Arctucas :
Since you are/were obviously unsure, to which Storage Controller your system drive is connected, I have moved the related discussion into this universally valid "Storage Drivers" thread.

This means, that you are already using the best matching NVMe driver for single (nor RAIDed) Samsung NVMe drives.
Nevertheless I still do not really know, why you were talking about AHCI and RAID and what the "Asmedia 106x SATA Controller" has to do with your requests.
You had written, that you have connected 2 Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSDs to your mainboard, but didn’t answer my question, whether you have created any RAID array (look >here<). If the answer should be "Yes!", you may have to use a completely different driver (depending on the sort of RAID array you had created).

Fernando,

I had a RAID0 array created when I first tried to install the OS, but the OS would not install on it for some reason.

Therefore, I broke the array, and used a single (one of the two installed, the other is empty) nvme drive to install the OS.

You had asked for the hardware ID of my SATA controller, which I thought a bit odd, but I presumed you needed the info, so I provided it. I have an optical drive connected to the SATA controller, by the way.

I believed that IRST software could be installed, even though there is no RAID array. I have an older (Z77) motherboard on which I have IRST running, and it has three SATA connected, non-RAID HDD (one OS and two storage), and I have no issues with the IRST software.

Will the IRST software need to be slipstreamed into the OS install disc?

Or, is it not possible to install IRST on my rig? I have added the hardware to my sig.

Thanks for your patience.

@Arctucas :

1. Currently you cannot get any Intel RST Software installed, because there are no HDDs/SSDs connected to any Intel SATA port or Intel NVMe Controller.
  2. The installation of the IRST Software only makes sense, if you have created an Intel RAID array. Single (not RAIDed by an Intel RAID Utility) SSDs do not benefit from the Software.
  3. After having successfully created an Intel RAID0 array consisting of 2 or more NVMe SSD, you should be able to install the OS onto it.

No, only the matching storage driver is required. The Intel RST Software is able to monitor the health of the SSDs, which are managed by any Intel SATA or Intel NVMe Controller, but has no impact on the function of them.

Fernando,

OK, so having the nvmes through the Samsung controller is the issue?

Please forgive my ignorance, but how do I get nvmes on the Intel controller?

Thanks again.

@Arctucas :
Yes, the Intel RST drivers and the related RST software do not directly support Samsung NVMe Controllers.
Nevertheless you may be able to get an Intel NVMe driver installed instead of the currently running Samsung NVMe driver.
This is the way how to do it:
1. Download and unzip the latest 64bit Intel RST driver, which belongs to the v16 platform.
2. Expand the "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager, right-click onto the listed "Samsung NVMe Controller" and choose the options "Update driver" > "Browse my computer…" > "Let me pick…"
3. Hit the "Have Disk" button, navigate to the Intel RST driver folder and click onto the file named iaStorAC.inf. You will be asked, which one of the listed Controllers you want to use.
4. Choose the "Intel NVMe Controller". You will get a message, that the driver may not support your specific system.
7. Install it nevertheless.
After the next reboot your Samsung NVMe SSD(s) will use the desired Intel RST NVMe driver.

Fernando,

I got the 16.8.2.1002 IRST from your list of drivers, did as you instructed, but I get a pop-up that says:

‘The folder you specified doesn’t contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is compatible with Windows for 64-bit systems.’

@Arctucas :
As I just have realized, the Intel RST v16 platform drivers do only support modern Windows Operating Systems from Windows 8 up.
The reason for the message you got is, that you are running Windows 7.
I am sorry about my misleading advice. You will have to stick with the Samsung NVMe driver.

Fernando,

So, no IRST for me?

Not with your currently used OS and NVMe SSDs.

Fernando,

I see.

If I were using Intel nvme M.2 drives, would that make a difference, or is it W7 and the Z390 chipset that is the real issue?

HI Fernando & all other board members,

I’ve switched from Intel to AMD, so I need to do some catching op on the best drivers.

My current set is AMD x470 mobo (Asus), with Ryzen 2 2600X and disks (no RAID):
* WD Black M.2 NVMe SN750 (Windows/boot drive)
* 3 SSD SATA (old OZC, Samsung 830, WD Green)

I have installed currently the generic MS AHCI 1.0 driver, and the standard MS NVMe driver.
Running the latest AMD chipset driver.

I noticed some options:
- The basic AMD AHCI driver (2012)
- On this board: The AMD NVMe drivers.
- New AMD AHCI/RAID driver

So what are my best choices here? Any benefit in switching drivers?