Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@Arctucas :
There is no issue with your system.
The best possible NVMe driver for your system is the Samsung one you are currently running.
Why do you insist wanting to get any Intel RST driver (and maybe aditionally the IRST Software) installed?
If you would change the OS to Win10, you would have more options incl. using an Intel RST NVMe RAID0 array, but I doubt, that you would be satisfied with the stability of such RAID configuration.

@EddieZ :
You forgot to mention the OS you are running resp. want to install.
If it should be In10, I recommend to use the in-box MS storage drivers.

Fernando,

I simply want to run a RAID0 array, have been using one for about ten years, never had any problems.

W10 is not an option until I figure out how to prevent all the shenanigans, i.e. forced updates, telemetry and data mining; AKA spying, etc.

Actually, I might be better off running a Linux Live disc.

Thanks for all your help, it has been quite informative.

You should not compare an Intel RAID0 array consisting of 2 or more SSDs, which are managed by the chipset own on-board Intel SATA Controller, with an Intel RAID0 array, whose members are managed by Samsung NVMe Controllers, which are located within third party SSDs.

Hello. I have a recent SuperMicro board, the M11SDV-8C-LN4F. I actually have two of them. I’m trying to get the boards to recognize an ADATA SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD. I also have two of those. (https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherb…SDV-8C-LN4F.cfm)

I cannot get the boards to recognize the SSDs in the M.2 slots, however they are recognized in M.2 riser adapters in the PCI-E slot (simple electrical riser, no PEX or controller onboard). I need that slot for an HBA card though, and it’s a 1U case so I can’t enabled bifurcation and split that slot.

I was able to detect a Samsung M.2 SATA SSD in the M.2 slot.

I’m not trying to boot from the NVMe drive, just have it recognized to use as a caching drive by the OS.

I’ve tried modifying the BIOS and flashing it. I’ve tried inserting the NvmExpressDXE_4 driver, and I’ve tried removing the existing NVM drivers in the BIOS first then inserting the NvmExpressDXE_4 driver.

SuperMicro support is useless, told me to refer to their “tested list” which consists of one series of Toshiba drives that are more less EoL. They could not provide any technical reason why their boards would have limited support with other SSDs.

Any thoughts?

@IMABEARLOL :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
I have moved your post into the "Storage Drivers" section of the Forum, because you have a modern system with a BIOS, which should natively detect and support NVMe SSDs.

To be able to help you, I need some additional information:
1. Which OS are you running?
2. How many and which sort of HDDs/SSDs are connected to which mainboard Storage Controller?
3. Have you checked, whether the on-board M.2 port shares data transfer lanes with any SATA port (look into your mainboard manual)?
4. Does the BIOS detect and show the NVMe SSD after its insertion into the M.2 port?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

1.) Server 2019 (although the issue is OS agnostic)
2.) This is can be replicated with nothing else plugged in to the onboard SATA or with the PCI-E HBA card removed
3.) Yes, no lane sharing between the onboard SATA and M.2
4.) No, this is the main issue. Device does not show in map command from EFI shell either. The device does warm up showing it’s receiving power.

Not a device issue as I have two identical servers and the issue is with both servers.

@IMABEARLOL :
Thanks for the quick answers.

Did you see a Disk Drive named "PATA" or "PATA_SS" within the BIOS thereafter?

Did you see a Disk Drive named "PATA" or "PATA_SS" within the BIOS thereafter?

No, unfortunately.

@IMABEARLOL :
This verifies, that only the mainboard manufacturer may be able to solve your problem with the ADATA NVMe SSD.
I cannot help you.

I tried the 17.4 drivers on my Z77 ICH8R and it just works, firmware 13.1.0.2126 still. Only thing is it added software for optane support while there is no optane in hardware. But the raid part just works as it should. It’s all DEV_2822 anyway.
Did not really expect it to just work.

@GnarZ77 :
The installation of the v17 platform RST Intel RST drivers is only possible while running in RAID mode (due to the universally compatible external DeviceID of Intel’s SATA RAID Controller). Nevertheless I doubt, that any of the latest Intel RAID drivers is a good choice for an Intel 7-series chipset system.
AFAIK the software for the Optane support can be uninstalled separately by using the Control Panel "Add/remove Software" option.

An Intel 7-Series chipset system doesn’t have an ICH8R Southbridge.

@Fernando
You are right ofcourse, it’s a non-R, ICH8/PCH Sata Raid Controller. I was able to uninstall the optane software but i had to do some regcleaning aswell to get rid of a returning software component in device manager.
Anyway, i went back to the stock win 10 15.44 driver. Think this is the last version without optane support.

Hi,

I have a Dell ultrabook laptop running an SM961 Samsung NVME drive along with the onboard Raid controller enabled. My question however is that would it be more beneficial to disable the raid controller (don’t know why an ultrabook even has that built in) and install Samsung NVME drivers? As far as performance goes and as well power consumption affecting the battery?

Thanks

@davidm71 :
Why don’t you test it yourself? You will have to use a modded Samsung NVMe driver, because Samsung’s OEM NVMe SSDs are natively not supported.
Which driver is the NVMe Controller currently using?

I think its using the standard microsoft storage controller. My attempts to install Samsung drivers failed and I assume it was
because the drive was behind the RST driver. Will try to disable raid and see what happens. Thank you.

Hi. I have problem with my new Samsung PM981 512GB NVMe drive.

It’s very slow. I installed your modded driver but it didn’t help. 64bit Win10 x64 Samsung NVMe driver v2.3.0.1709 mod+signed by Fernando

AS SSD Benchmark 2.0.6485.19676
------------------------------
Name: SAMSUNG MZVLB512HAJQ-00000
Firmware: EXA7
Controller: secnvme
Offset: 513024 K - OK
Size: 476,94 GB
Date: 26.6.2019 20.29.31
Sequential:
Read: 704,02 MB/s
Write: 620,32 MB/s
4K:
Read: 56,92 MB/s
Write: 110,81 MB/s
4K-64Threads:
Read: 712,64 MB/s
Write: 593,82 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: 0,048 ms
Write: 0,030 ms
Score:
Read: 840
Write: 767
Total: 2051

@Iridium :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Did you read and follow my advices given within the start post of >this< thread?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I read them and followed all advices except the fresh os install. I cloned windows 10 from old ssd to this m.2 using Clonezilla.

I got 20 mb/s boost for seq

What should I try next? Because specific speeds are 3000 and 1800

@Iridium :
Where and how did you you connect the NVME SSD with your system?

I connected it straight to my only m.2 slot on the motherboard. Fixed in place with screw.