Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@Fernando Thanks for the reply.

1) My motherboard is this one https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/AM1I/Specification. It has 1 PCI-E x16 Gen2 and 1 Mini PCI-E. On th mini pci-e card i have connected the dvd writer and 1 hdd. On the 2 sata ports of the board i have connected 2 other hdds. Windows 7 see only the 2 of them connected directly on the board.

2) Windows 10 shows onboard controller as Standard Sata ahci PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7801&SUBSYS_78651462&REV_40\3&11583659&0&88
and the card controller as storage controller Asmedia106x Sata Controller PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_0612&SUBSYS_10601B21&REV_01
Windows 7 shows only the first one

3) I have integrated MS Hotfix KB2990941-v3-x64 as 400 other kb updates and hotfixes with ntlite. I do not know if it is integrated in the boot.wim too but i am sure that it is inside install.wim and installed in my pc. Do windows 8.1 have native support? Because i installed windows 8.1 Update 3 and does not support it like windows 10 does

@Newby You need to integrate these two hotfixes at least into the index 2 of the boot.wim and into the correct index of the edition that you want to install, otherwise they won’t work at all.

I will try to create an new iso and respond

Hello and sorry to bother again. I integrated these two hotfixes into the boot.wim with ntlite and the result was the same. I even integrated them into Windows PE just in case but nothing again. I checked the bios boot devices and there when both the four of them. I do not understand. Is there any chance that ntlite does not integrate them properly?

@Newby :
NTLite does the integration of MS Hotfixes properly. There is no need to integrate more than 1 NVMe Hotfix.
This is what you should do:
1. Integrate the matching 32/64bit MS Hotfix KB2990941-v3 into the boot.wim and install.wim of the Win7SP2 ISO file.
2. Prepare an UEFI mode bootable USB flash drive with the customized Win7 Images on it by using a tool like Rufus.
3. Boot off the USB Flash drive in UEFI mode and install the OS onto the NVMe SSD.

@Fernando Maybe that is what i am doing wrong. I always prepare an mbr legacy bios usb flash drive. Maybe the uefi mode is the key.

I finally found a way to make a working windows 7 iso. A tool named Windows 7 Image Updater did the trick

@Fernando re latest OFA NVMe drivers for Win7-10 (32/64bit): post no2, according to OFA the drivers work on Windows 8.1 >link<. Windows 8.1(64bit) installs onto a B365(and B360) chipset board/s without problem, is it worth adding the 8.1 info to the OFA driver entry? 8.1 is proving to be a popular alternative for people who dont want to go Win 10.

@moop :
Thanks for your contribution. I have added the Win8.1 compatibility of the 32/64bit mod+signed OFA drivers I am offering within the second post of this thread.
By the way: I do not really recommend to install any of the "original" OFA drivers. The only purpose for having published their download links was to give the users the ability to compare them with the mod+signed ones.

Hi, Fernando!
thanks that verify my job!
before than to flashing, i want to ask one question - if i will want to use nvme ssd in pci-e, as just storage for files and i dont need to use it as bootable, in windows 7 os, that i must modding bios too or not?
ps all ms kb installed, may be will mx500 or samsung.
I in advance to want to be ready.

You only need to modify your BIOS to allow it as a bootable drive. If you’re just using it for storage then Windows will just see it when you plug it in.

really? just my friend plug nvme ssd and his win7 didnt can to allocate disk in disk managment, but it was clean win 7, without updates, may be so?

@Wu-Tang :
Since Win7 natively doesn’t contain an NVMe driver, you have to load or integrate it. Otherwise the OS cannot detect and manage the NVMe Controller of the SSD.

driver released by ssd vendor?
i know that sams/intel ssd give for download driver for their nvme ssd, but about crucial it none.
also what about Deallocate and s.m.a.r.t read?
ps sorry for offtop.

Excuse me, have you already installed these patches?

Windows6.1-KB2908783-x64
Windows6.1-KB2990941-x64
Windows6.1-KB3087873-v2-x64

@Wu-Tang @NickBOT @AvenocturnO :
Since your recent discussion has much more to do with the topic "NVMe drivers" than with with the question "How to get full NVMe support for systems with an old chipset?", I have moved your posts into this already existing better matching thread.

I downloaded the Samsung nvme driver for windows 10 x64 to change driver for my 970 pro 1tb but when I choose the “have disk” option in device manager to change the driver from microsoft’s default driver to the one downloaded I receive an error message saying "the folder you specified doesn’t contain a compatible software driver for your deice. if the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with windows for x64-based systems.
I’m confused, because I downloaded the driver “64bit Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 WHQL for Win10 x64” and I just installed windows 10 pro x64. any way around this error message?

hoping this driver may help, because i’m getting painfully bad 4k read/write times on my 970 pro in windows 10 for some reason: 27.24mb/s read, 40.64mb/s write, and acc. times of 0.087ms read and 0.096ms write. I tried different CPU, different motherboard, bought a PCIE adapter and tried all of the available pcie slots versus the m.2 slots but still the same crummy 4k read/writes with high acc. times in as ssd benchmark. if I turn off hyperthreading then those speeds double for 4k read and quadruple or quintuple for 4k write. if I install windows 7 then I also get very high 4k read/write times and acc. times of less than 0.023ms. not sure what the issue is with windows 10, but I feel the performance lag from these slow 4k read/writes.

@AlexaH :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You cannot update or change the driver for any device, which is listed within the "Disks" section of the Device Manager. Only the in-box MS drivers are usable for the Disk Management.
If you want to manually install any other NVMe driver, you have to expand the "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager, to do a right-click onto the listed "Standard NVM Express Controller" and to choose the "Update Driver Software" option.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Hi Fernando ! I wanna know do you have modded driver for this m.2 nvme sdd XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280

@RavenouZ :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You do not need a modded NVMe driver. Provided, that you are running Win10 and are not satisfied with the in-box MS NVMe driver, I recommend to install the Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 WHQL.
Procedure:
1. Set a Restore Point.
2. Run the Device Manager and expand the section "Storage Controllers".
3. Right-click onto the listed "Standard NVM Express Controller" and choose the options "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer…" > "Let me pick…".
4. Hit the "Have Disk" button, browse to the folder, which contains the files of the desired NVMe driver, and hit "OK".
5. Disregard the warning, that the device may not be supported by the driver.
6. Reboot after the driver installation.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)