Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

I believe I’ve figured out the problem: it relates to certificate chains and Samsung messing part of this up. We can use signtool from the Windows 7 SDK to see what’s going on, and compare old (3.2) to new (3.3):

Drivers 3.2: https://pastebin.com/bJ4xerNq
Drivers 3.3: https://pastebin.com/gq52NszX

Both sys files in 3.3 have this error: "SignTool Error: Signing Cert does not chain to a Microsoft Root Cert". I found two useful pieces of information on this online:

* https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi…iple&id=1013066 – especially comment #9
* https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1818…osoft-root-cert

I suspect Samsung generated some part of the Windows 7 drivers on a Windows 8 or Windows 10 machine, and did the signing there (and very likely with an incorrect certificate chain set up). I haven’t checked their Windows 8 or Windows 10 drivers (I don’t run 8 or 10, so I’m not sure how useful I can be there), but the only way to get the full picture is to use dism or signtool. I’ll try to open a ticket with Samsung on this. They had this working correctly in 3.2 and earlier.

The workaround in the meantime is to use /forceunsigned in dism. The only time it’s "safe" for end-users to use that flag is when they absolutely know for a fact the underlying driver has not been tampered with.

Edit: Samsung’s support site is terrible. Wow. I eventually got an employee who recommended I provide details via Email to [email protected]. So I’ve done this. Refer to Inquiry #15775384 for details.

@koitsu What about the two official NVMe-support updates for Windows 7?
Or you can read this driver during installation, right befor partitioning, from antoher usb drive, for example.
In my experience I do not slipstream any NVMe drivers into the installer because it seems, at least to me, more reliable to work with just the NVMe updates and install any manufacturer’s driver inside the fnishes installation.
I use the force option on my ISOs all the time.

@PatrickK The “two official NVMe support updates for Windows 7” have no bearing on this problem. The problem pertains to to an incorrect certificate chain in Samsung’s 3.3 NVMe drivers. The 3.2 drivers have a proper certificate chain.

Samsung responded in Email today, stating they have forwarded the issue on to their software engineering team for review and will reply further soon.

Now, unrelated to the above matter:

As for the two non-publicly-distributed KBs you’re talking about – KB2990941 and KB3087873 (hotfix/bugfix for KB2990941) – these are Microsoft’s NVMe drivers. You can’t slipstream those two KBs and Samsung’s drivers at the same time – DISM will fail. You have to pick either Microsoft’s or Samsung’s when using DISM (nobody online seems to state this anywhere; I found hints about it deep within some weird Intel RST PDF somewhere online). I use Samsung’s because while the performance is slightly worse (by a miniscule amount), my NVMe drive (970 EVO 1TB) runs several degrees cooler (temperature-wise) using Samsung’s drivers. I live in northern California in an apartment that lacks air conditioning: during the summer, indoor room temperatures can exceed 97F/36C.

The reason I slipstream these drivers is because I have two disks in my workstation: a SATA SSD for C: (OS drive) and an NVMe drive for D: (extra storage). I keep all my drivers, applications, slipstreaming scripts, etc. on my NVMe drive (I do not want to involve a USB drive). Thus, after an OS reinstall, the OS does not see the NVMe drive at all due to lack of drivers, leading to a chicken-and-egg problem. Slipstreaming the drivers relieves this problem (I can see the NVMe drive even during Windows Setup).

Updating the Samsung drivers when using slipstreamed Samsung driver integration is very easy too: Device Manager, Disk Drives, find the NVMe disk, right-click on it and pick Update Driver Software, then pick the folder containing the newer driver (INF/CAT/SYS files). Reboot and you’re done.

I hope this answers your question.

@koitsu :

Your "easy instruction" is wrong and absolutely misleading. Users, who are trying to follow it, may run into severe (re)boot problems.
Let me explain:
Not the NVMe SSD, but just the NVMe Controller (which is within the SSD) needs and can use an NVMe driver.
It is a big mistake trying to update the in-use MS driver of the devices, which are listed within the "Disk Drives" section of the Device Manager. The Disk Management is and has to be done exclusively by Microsoft drivers/INF files.
What you certainly mean is: Device Manager, Storage Controllers, find the NVMe Storage Controller.
Please change the related words within your last post to avoid any problems for users, who are trying to follow your guide.

hi to all i have this controller https://www.raidsonic.de/en/index.php?we_objectID=5456 with samsung 500 evo oplus
my pc is dell optiplex 3070 i5-9500 with windows 10
witch nvme drivers is best ?
thanks

@tasosko :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Your Raidsonic M.2>PCIe adapter card doesn’t have a Controller, the only important one is the NVMe Controller, which is within the Samsung NVMe SSD.
The best NVMe driver for Samsung SSDs is probably the Samsung v3.3.0.2003, but you can try any other compatible one.
By the way - a Samsung 500 EVO Plus SSD doesn’t exist. You probably meant the Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

hi fernando is it possible you can add the support for DEV_0113 "Hardware ID PCI\VEN_1179&DEV_0113&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_01"
for windows 7 x64 ?

i have a DELL g3-3779. running with windows 10

with Toshiba AIS NVMe SSD Controller
Bus / Device / Function 2 / 0 / 0
Device ID 1179-0113
Subsystem ID 1179-0001
Driver Version 10.0.18362.693

and the drive is KBG30ZMS128G NVMe TOSHIBA 128GB
Driver Version 10.0.18362.1
Hardware ID SCSI\DiskNVMe____KBG30ZMS128G_NVM0105

@jeanjean :
Thanks for your request. When I have the required time, I will do it tomorrow.

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers:
    • new: “pure” 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers v3.3.3.0 WHQL for Win8-10 dated 01/22/2020 (incl. DPInst files for an easy installation)
    • new: “pure” 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers v3.3.3.0 WHQL for Vista-Win7 dated 01/22/2020
    • new: Complete ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID Drivers & Installer Set v3.3.3.0 dated 02/03/2020
      containing the above listed new drivers v3.3.3.0 and the older XP/W2k3 drivers v3.2.0.0)

Thanks to Station-Drivers for the source package.

Good luck with these new ASMedia SATA3 AHCI/RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I can confirm that FINALLY the ASMedia 3.3.3.0 solved my locking problem (PC freeze, or disks controller freeze) when launching the HWiNFO64 with ide/sata drive scan enabled, and especially launching AIDA64 after it!
Was broken in WIN10 for years… :slight_smile:

@jeanjean :
Done!

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• OCZ NVMe drivers:
    • Re-customized:
      • “pure” 32/64bit OCZ NVMe drivers v1.2.126.843 mod+signed by me at 04/27/2020 (now with additional support of “XG6” NVMe Controllers with the DeviceID DEV_0113)

Enjoy it!

omg thank you so much Fernando !! your the best ! i will try this today ! Danke

@Fernando :
humm doesnt seems to be working .
i can see the 1T sata drive but not the NVME disk 128gb at the win7 installation screen

@jeanjean :
You cannot use a mod+signed storage driver from scratch, but you should be able to get it installed once the OS is up and running.
Solution: Integrate the MS NVMe Hotfix(es) into the boot.wim and install.wim of the desired Win7 Image and install the OS. Then you can update the NVMe driver manually from within the Device Manager.

ok ! thank you fernando ! will try to integrate ms nvme hotfix’s and re-try have a good day !

Good day,Community what drivers do I have to install for this M.2 SSD Samsung PM981a 1TB Nvme?

MZVLB1T0HBLR-00000-07

Very good support here, respect

This isn’t a Support site but a technical forum, which by the way has your question already answered if you only had read the tread and the other one with the drivers (and only e few pages in total), and not acted so lazy.
And logically, what a surprise, is the latest Samsung ones…

I have read almost the whole topic but unfortunately have not found an answer if you could help me. best regards

Hi Fernando

Thx again for a great site and drivers etc.

I tried your mod+signed generic 64bit Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 for Win10 x64 on a Corsair MP600.
The MP600 uses the same Phison PS5016-E16 controller as your Sabrent Rocket 4.0.

The signing goes fine but installing the driver gives: "The folder you specified does not contain a compatible driver."

So where do I find the DEV info and how do I change it to match my own Hardware ID plz?

And I already also did that, my second paragraph…