Replacing AHCI PCI ROM module

Hello Fernando,
As described in the german win-lite forum, i like to mod the BIOS of my MSI 785GM-E65 (SB710) to make AHCI available for my SSD.

Therefor I opened the actual BIOS (non-UEFI) with MMTool and found the PCI ROM DEV_4391. I liked to peplace this PCI ROM (RunLoc 1002:4391, RomLoc 0007F6A4) with the AMD AHCI ROM module v.3.2.1.0 I found in your forum (AHCI & RAID ROM Modules).
In the Replace-section of the MM-Tool I choosed the PCI ROM with DEV_4391,opened the module file v.3.2.1.0 (*.bin) and pressed “Replace”. After that, the “RomLoc”-number has changed from 0007F6A4 into 0007D284, which was original RomLoc of the PCI ROM with the RunLoc 1002:4394. Is this how it should be?
For a better understanding you can find three screenshots attached.

Many thanks!
Joliet

1_Load BIOS.pdf (163 KB)

2_Choose module file.pdf (151 KB)

3_Replaced PCI ROM.pdf (155 KB)

Hello Joliet,

welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I don’t think, that the location changement while replacing the AMD AHCI ROM by a much bigger sized module is something to worry about.
I am pretty sure, that the updated AMD AHCI ROM v3.2.1.0 will work properly.

Regards
Fernando

Ok, than I will save the modded BIOS and try to flash the original one. Keeping the fingers crossed .

Thanks for your reply!

Regards,
Joliet

Hello Fernando,

Befor copying the modded Bios on a bootable USB-Stick must I change the Suffix from ".ROM" back to ".2C0"?

Thanks, Joliet!

Yes, rename it like the original BIOS.

Thanks!
I flashed the BIOS but after that, I couldn’t find an AHCI-Option for the drives (beside the ahci option for RAID, which was already present in the original BIOS). I hoped, after the mod I would find something like that .
Regards,
Joiliet

AFAIK there is no AMD AHCI Utility popup like the AMD RAID one.
Nevertheless the updated AMD AHCI ROM will now manage the AMD AHCI Controller.
Haven’t you realized, that the OS boots faster than before?

I still have my HDD inside. At the moment, no AHCI driver is shown in the device manager. So I didn’t realize a faster boot.
To activate AHCI, I think I have to install the driver (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/ch…=Windows+8±+32) and change the registry entry from “3” to “0” (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci). After reboot - a change from IDE to AHCI in the BIOS is not possible - the HDD should run in AHCI-mode. Is this correct or is something missing?

The Device Manager shows devices, no drivers (unless you do a right click onto the device and choose the options "Properties" > "Drivers").
Which Controllers are listed within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - within the "Storage Controllers" sections of the Device Manager? Please post the names of them.

This is not correct. If you want to run your SSD in AHCI mode, you have to enter the BIOS and to set the AMD SATA COntroller to "AHCI" (unless this setting is the DEFAULT one).

Here is a screenshot of the device manager.

In the BIOS is no option to set the Sata-Controller to “AHCI” - except in the RAID-mode. There I can choose between “IDE” and “AHCI”. And that was my intention to do the BIOS-mod. I hoped to find a possibility to have the choice between “IDE” and “AHCI” at the SATA-Controller. But there isn’t.

Controller.PNG

Thanks. The screenshot verifies, that your HDDs are running in IDE mode.

You should choose the "RAID-mode" > "AHCI" option within the BIOS and then do a clean install of the OS onto your new SSD in AHCI mode.

Is it possible to run a single SSD/HDD in RAID-mode? I thought, for Raid two devices are minimum?

Yes, that is possible and recommended for your system.

This would be a RAID array, but it is not needed to create such array. You can use each single (non-RAIDed) HDD/SSD in RAID mode.

Hello Fernando,

Is it necessary to activate the AHCI-driver before connecting the SSD or can I install/attach the SSD and then activate AHCI in the BIOS?

The HDD I will disconnect during the installation of the SSD and after that I will reconnect and format the old system-partition. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,
Joliet

You can connect the SSD without having changed the SATA mode, but should set the AMD SATA Controller within the BIOS to "AHCI", before you are going to install the Operating System onto the SSD.

Yes, after having done that you can use the HDD for data storage.

Hello Fernando,

Today I installed the SSD. Based on the modded BIOS, I’ve made some pictures from important facts. As you can see in the picture with the drives

BIOS - Drives.JPG

, no SSD or HDD is shown (the OS is already installed). But in the picture with the Boot Sequence, all drives are available

BIOS - Boot Sequence.JPG

• as IDE-drive, even the RAID is set to AHCI

BIOS - RAID AHCI.JPG

and the value of MSAHCI in the Regedit is set to "0"

Regedit_MSAHCI.PNG

. The device manager shows an AHCI driver

Device manager.PNG

At the moment I don’t know, in which mode the SSD runs. Do you have an idea?

And there is another problem. I cannot install the graphics-driver. I tried it few times but I’ve got always an failure e.g.

ATI driver.PNG

. Maybe it has to do with the SSD-improvements I’ve made in WIN 7 Pro 64bit (Prefetch, Superfetch, swapfile, computer protection, windows search)?

Thanks for your help!
Joliet

The first picture shows nothing to worry about. As you can see in the BOOT section, the BIOS has detected all drives.

If you have connected the SSD to one of the AMD SATA ports, which have been set to "AHCI", everything is fine. You can verify it by checking the DeviceID of the listed "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" (right click onto it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs"). It should be DEV_4391.
By the way: I do not recommend to install any AMD AHCI driver instead of the generic MS AHCI driver, because you may loose TRIM support by that.

I don’t think, that the problem has something to do with the SSD improvements.
Tip: Remove the listed device "AMD Radeon HD 8600 Series", which shows a yellow mark and look, what happens after the reboot.

Ok, I found DEV_4391 in "Hardware-IDs".

Regarding the Graphics driver: I uninstalled the driver and all the catalyst-stuff. Then I installed everything again and found in the log an error message for the HDMI-driver => uninstall everything and installation without HDMI-driver. The log said now, everything is fine. But after the reboot; i got the message again

ATI driver.PNG

. In the device manager i found in the driver details of the HD6800 also an error massage

ATI Driver Details.PNG

So everything is fine regarding the SSD.

Please check the HardwareIDs of both listed graphics adapters ("ATI Radeon HD 4200" and "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series").
It seems very strange, that the Device Manager shows 2 different AMD/ATI graphics adapters.
Question: Are there really 2 different graphics adapters within your system?
If not, you should disable the "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series".

Yes, there are two different graphic units - HD4200 is an onboard-GPU and HD6800 an dedicated GPU. Maybe I should deactivate the Onboard-graphic and try to install the driver for the HD6800 again?