[Request] ASUS X79-Deluxe NVMe and Bifurcation Mod

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Regarding Intel RST/RSTe BIOS modules for X79 chipset mainboards I found >this< old discussion on the ROG ASUS Forum. Maybe it will help you.
At that time X79 chipset couldn’t use the Intel RST Option ROM modules due to their “wrong” DEV_2822 entries. We found a way to modify the Intel RST Option ROM modules with the result, that they worked fine with DEV_2826 Intel RAID Controllers.

@Kwstas - Thanks, but I don’t need any info about ASMedia right now
Already inserted and waiting for you to test (once I send you) - But you may need to use older than latest (0.97), if it even works, if what Fernando mentioned applies to this board too
Do you want the final mod BIOS now, without RSTe? I have it ready for you! This way you can test ASMedia and see if 0.97 is OK or you need to use 0.95 as Fernando mentioned.

@Fernando - Thank you, but I think you misunderstood me, or I can’t see the posts you’re trying to show me? I searched RSTe and nothing there looks like anything we’re discussing here, or what you mentioned above
I don’t have any issues with, nor need any info for/about RST or RST option roms (no issues with either of those here). I only need EFI RSTe info for X79, mainly I’d like to find a BIOS with native RSTe (by Asus would be best).
I need the depex section to rebuild a new FFS for insertion with MMTool, due to this BIOS seems to have an issue when replacing RST EFI module any/all other ways (tested and confirmed thoroughly)
Thus, I need some native depex section for EFI RSTe so I can make new custom FFS. Or, I guess we may have to test, if I build one using the depex from the original EFI RST module.

@Lost_N_BIOS :

Although I downloaded a lot of old ASUS BIOSes for X79 chipset mainboards, I couldn’t find any, which contains an EFI RSTe SataDriver module. The older BIOSes contain just 1 Intel RSTe RAID OROM and 1 Intel RST EFI SataDriver, whereas the newer BIOSes additionally contain an Intel RST RAID OROM module.

BIOS 3404 for ASUS RAMPAGE IV Extreme.png

BIOS 4901 for ASUS RAMPAGE IV Extreme.png

So it seems to me, that users of an ASUS X79 chipset mainboard were never able to get access to the Intel RSTe RAID Utility by entering the BIOS. They have to use the CTRL+I option while booting, if they want to use an Intel RSTe RAID driver.

@Fernando - Thanks, that’s (UBU images) is what I noticed in the WS BIOS I looked at too. So, I guess that means, if you want to use RSTe, it would need to be in legacy modes only.
Since I doubt using Depex section from EFI RST would work for RSTe, that’s probably best thing to do here for RSTe (option rom / legacy only)

@Kwstas - You don’t know that, either of these things >> 1. RSTe BIOS modules stop any noise and >> 2. That is even works, boots, does not break your RAID array etc
Because, you have never used any BIOS on this board that has RSTe in it. You’ve only been using RSTe drivers, incorrectly, with RST BIOS modules
To stop the noise, disable windows Search and or Indexing, or it’s always going to do that, any time you move a drive, or anytime it thinks you’re not doing anything and it wants to update it’s index (No matter what BIOS module or drivers are in use)

For #2 - Not sure what you mean about “drivers exist”?? You install drivers on your end, that has nothing to do with BIOS, other than you should ideally match driver with product type and version - ie RST 14 drivers with RST 14 BIOS modules etc (general example)
2.1 - Sorry, I don’t know what drivers are best for anything, you would have to go off the threads here and see what is suggested

3. I don’t know, I assumed you knew, since you wanted it updated. It’s not even in BIOS to begin with, so may fail, may not be used etc.
You will be able to see version in UBU though, see image blow. Yes, 0.97 is what I inserted, but Fernando said it may not work and you may need to use 0.95

Here is final BIOS update package for now, without RSTe - @guru3d too - Thanks again for all your testing while we did these updates, hopefully more is not needed after this
https://ufile.io/233f2ggh

Updates.png

1. NVME Mod
2. Bifurcation Mod
3. Add PCI Submenu
4. Update CPU Microcodes to latest as of 11/25/2020
---------------- ^^ Previous Edit ^^ --------------

5. EFI Intel RST for SATA - 12.7.0.1936 >> Update to 13.5.0.2164 ** Made new/proper FFS if anyone needs **
6. OROM Intel RST for SATA - 12.7.0.1936 >> Update to 13.5.0.2164 (w/ TRIM)
7. EFI Intel PRO1000 UNDI - 5.5.23 >> Update to New Driver Set Series >> 0.1.00 ** Made new/proper FFS if anyone needs **
8. OROM Intel Boot Agent GE - 1.3.72 >> Update to New CL Driver Series >> 0.1.16
9. EFI Realtek UNDI Driver - 2.020 >> Update to 2.054
10. OROM Realtek Boot Agent GE - 2.52 >> Update to 2.67
11. EFI Marvell SATA AHCI - 1.1.0.1001 >> Update to 1.1.0.1029
12. OROM Marvell 88SE9230 - 1.0.0.1011 >> Update to 1.1.0.1028
13. Intel ME FW ----------------- 8.1.51.1471 >> Update to 8.1.70.1590
14. ASMedia 0.97 Inserted

Flash via USB Flashback.
ME FW update may require ME FW Update tool >> FWUpdLcl -f ME.bin
If ME FW is not 8.1.70.1590 after USB Flashback, use included extracted ME.bin file and ME FW update tool w/ above command

it works
asmedia 0.97 ok
but
EFI Intel PRO1000 UNDI - 5.5.23 not 0.1.00
OROM Intel Boot Agent GE - 1.3.72 not 0.1.16
and OROM Marvell 88SE9230 - 1.1.0.1028 not 1.1.0.1027

and i cant see asmedia in ubu like your .png (but I can see it in bios)
are not updated at least on this file https://ufile.io/233f2ggh

@Lost_N_BIOS
are you sure you uploaded the correct file?

plus every cpuid reappears
5 times (example 306E2 index 5,10,15 and 20)

@guru3d - Sounds like you may need to update UBU and or configure it correctly? Maybe you got files mixed up and flashed or checked some other/previous file I sent you possibly??
That, or you did not delete previous BIOS.bin or temp files from UBU when checking maybe?? The info/image I showed was made using BIOS I uploaded, with latest UBU for the image above.
About microcodes, that is normal, look at stock BIOS (There is microcodes in 4x volumes, not 5) - I updated them all, in all volumes, and put all into all volumes (This is correct / how I always do these)
OROM Marvell 88SE9230 - That’s supposed to be 1028, see change log

It is possible I uploaded the wrong file!! Sorry, let me check!
* Edit - OK, I checked, and even downloaded the file to be sure too, all correct, this is updated BIOS and all is as shown in the change log above >>

CheckedBIOS.png

@Kwstas - Sorry, I meant to remove that from the change log (For now, it’s on pause while I figure out how to insert that, if it’s ever done at all) >>
** Includes >> Secondary BIOS w/ RST replaced with RSTe **
EFI/oRom SATA-RaidDriver v5.5.5.1005 ** Made new/proper FFS if anyone needs **

Anyway, I downloaded the file at #164, everything is correct.
What you are comparing in MC Extractor (BIOS.BIN from mid-UBU run) has the capsule removed, what I showed in change log screenshot for MC Extractor does NOT have capsule removed (See file name)
This is why the offset is not same with what you’re checking - capsule is 2KB / 800h = this = difference you are asking about

ASmedia, I only inserted (added) 0.97, did not touch anything else related to ASmedia. Anything you find otherwise is 100% stock from Asus

Post #162 is by Fernando, so not sure what you’re referring to there?
Your 2nd to last image above is not the BIOS from post #164 (image says Rampage VI BIOS ). Ohh, I see, yes, that is not this BIOS, that is image of other BIOS Fernando was talking to me about, not this boards BIOS
The last image you showed above is the correct BIOS from #164

Yes, correct, there is NO RSTe in anything here. Sorry for any confusion there, I meant to remove that from change log, but you should have noticed no 2nd BIOS file = no 2nd BIOS file = no RSTe

All cleared up? I think so, BIOS is correct, how it’s meant to be, 100% updated, at post #164

@Kwstas - Ask SoniX about that, or insert it yourself with UBU and test. It does not look like it goes with your system, at all
And due to the normal naming scheme, I assume that may be some other series, or incorrectly named version

* Edit @Kwstas - I just tested, it goes in OK But, I’d still ask SoniX why normal rom is named 0.xx and then this random one is 4.xx, AND if 4.xx is compatible with your exact ASMedia onboard controller (read the chip ID for him, or give him devID etc)
Maybe it’s just newer, and many versions skipped between 0.xx and 4.27? I do see modified date is 3 years apart.
I’d ask SoniX about all this before we do anything. If it turns out to be compatible, and you want inserted, I can re-wrap BIOS package again for you with that instead of 0.97

I See warning here “ONLY works with Add-On cards”
[Discussion] Firmware for Asmedia Sata 6G Controllers (10)
See also, issues at 184 - [Discussion] Firmware for Asmedia Sata 6G Controllers (13)
And see 4602 (4.27 is for two lane chip only) - [ARCHIVE] Outdated UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions (307)

ALL of this may have been fixed or changed, with the file or how UBU inserts it now, since those are older posts.
This is why it’s critical that you ask SoniX directly, if your exact board/controller can use this version, and or if it’s better/suggested over 0.97 or 0.95 etc

** Edit 2 - @Kwstas - you can tag SoniX like you did above, or ask directly in the main UBU thread here (where he’s more likely to see your question and reply)
[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions (105)

About ME, yes, that is due to 8.1.70.1590_1.5MB_PRD_RGN.bin is Stock
and the ME.Bin I sent is Configured for your board and Extracted - You can use either one with ME FW update tool.

@Kwstas - You should ask in the UBU thread, and ask why big jump from 0.97 to 4.27 and if 4.27 is compatible with your X79-Deluxe
I guess you can just test if you want, compare stock BIOS vs 0.97 vs 4.27 in benchmarks etc. I assume there will be ZERO difference in any real comparison, since BIOS does not even have a rom for this anyway

* Edit - @Kwstas - oRom Intel Boot Agent is legacy Boot on LAN Module

*Edit 2 - Check ASMedia chip with your eyes, and flashlight and magnifying glass if necessary.
You should not rely on software, it may not be correct (and in BIOS there is 106x module)

ASMedia SATA, flash that via hardware package, this is not something that goes into or gets loaded out from the BIOS (ie, does not matter what we stick in BIOS, it’s not going to be used)
Run that EXE and reboot, then you’re done. We need to remove this from the BIOS package, it can be left, but it’s just there for no reason

Sorry, I don’t know what to tell you about the Windows network thing, I close that window anytime it asks me anyway, I setup stuff how I want
Plus, you do not need to join any domain or workgroup etc. Close that and ignore it.

I put the highest # you can use, without issue = 13.5

@Kwstas :
Regarding the choice of the best Intel RAID BIOS module version for your specific system you should use this task order:
1. Create an Intel RAID array by using the Intel RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver version, which is currently within the mainboard BIOS (the version doesn’t matter).
2. Do a clean install of the desired Windows OS onto the RAID array.
3. Set a “Restore Point”.
4. Find out the best possible Intel RST RAID driver version by replacing the previously used Intel RAID driver manually - with ascending version number - from within the Device Manager
(don’t install any Intel RST Drivers & Software Set at this time).
5. Put the Intel RAID OROM/RaidDriver module into the mainboard BIOS, whose version matches the winner of your point 4 tests.
6. Now you can install the Intel RST Drivers & Software Set, which contains the best RAID driver for your specific system.
7. Optimize the performance of your Intel RAID array by following >these< advices.