[Request] ASUS X79-Deluxe NVMe and Bifurcation Mod

Probably many that use, like me, don’t take the time to write their good review on such a cheap item, so you only see a few good ones and more bad.
I know what you mean though, back when NVME was so expensive, I would have paid a bit more for a higher quality adapter too
The one I linked holds full size NVME or smaller ones too. I guess with the 4 you have, then playing with Hyper w/ x4 would be nice to check out.
You know it will make you purchase 2 more 2TB so you can have 4 x 2TB on the Hyper card

Heh, I know what you mean about the reviews. The ones with issues will be more likely to leave a review versus ones where everything is working as intended.

Yep, we’ll see how it goes, trying to phase out the HDD’s in the office. They’re loud! :slight_smile:
Been trying to extend the life of this old x79, dropped an e5-1680v2 into it a year ago.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread, thanks for all the hard work testing, etc.

Yes, that, and Amazon limits who can review too! I’ve spent plenty there and still can’t review purchased items, only sellers.
It says you have to spend at least $50 from a CC, but I’ve spent 5x that and still can’t, I “reload” gift cards though, adding my own $$ into gift cards there to spend (From CC)
So, stupid crap like that also stops some people from even being able to leave a review, when they’d really like to but can’t.

I miss X79 You’re welcome! And yes, for sure, final update BIOS will be done shortly, and if you want I can update microcodes into it too?

Shouldn’t hurt to have the latest microcodes, that would include the Spectre and meltdown mitigations as well I think?

Yes, unless you want me to not update microcodes.

I think including them would be great. :slight_smile:

I just realized I never actually replied to this. Everything tested fine! I see all the new fancy menu options as well, including link speed for each potentially bifurcated lane. Incredible work.

@tbob22 - Sorry, looks like I missed replying back to you way back in Dec, did we talk in PM’s, or do you still need anything done now?
@Xenophobian - Thanks, seems we both missed posts here! Thank you, and thanks for report back, glad to here all is working nicely!

Awesome! Thank you Deluxe, Xenophobian, tbob22 and Lost_N_BIOS for this BIOS and thread.

Can anyone confirm: 1) 4 drives will work on X79-DELUXE x4x4x4x4? and 2) work in hardware RAID 0 and 3) be bootable with Win10?

On non BIOS topic is PCIe 3.0 4x fast enough to handle drives that can do 3,500+ MB/sec? Are PCIe 4.0 drives that can do 5,000+ MB/sec any faster than 3,500ish MB/sec on PCIe 3.0 when connected with an expansion card? (I notice ASUS shows their PCIe 3.0 4 drive card can allow theoretical 128 Gbps with 4 drives compared to 32 Gbps "with DMI limit" drives on motherboard.)

@mastermind - You’re welcome! Sorry, no, sadly, I think x4 NVME is confirmed to NOT be working on ALL Asus X79 variants, max = 3 NVME
Bootable or not, I am not sure? Someone else will have to answer you about that one.
Yes, PCIE 3.0 x4 is plenty for 3500 drives, not sure there is any faster except the PCIE 4.0 drives. And, not sure about those, how much they max out on PCIE 3.0, but I assume someone mentions this in all the reviews on 4.0 drives on Newegg/Amazon, or actual drive reviews by tech sites
Yes, it’s mainly DMI that is the limit on PCIE 3.0 boards

tinyupload link isn’t working anymore. Could you re-publish bios update image please?

@epolet - What post # do you need BIOS from, I will add new mirror link there. Tinyupload has been having issues all week.

The link you shared in the post #53 or the latest if you have one for Asus x79-Deluxe, which supports bifurcation, please. Thank you!
What are the known limitations so far? Can all PCIe slots be bifurcated (assuming motherboard’s limits x16,x16/x8/x0,x4,x16/x8/x0)?

@epolet - Thanks. Yes, Tinyupload has been having issues all week, and then down completely last few days
I have added a mirror at post #53, thanks for the heads up

Only limitations I know of is you cannot use 4 NVME on any Asus X79, on one PCIE slot/card I mean.
You can bifurcate and use any slots you want

@Lost_N_BIOS , I tried to update BIOS using the .cap file from Post#53 in two ways:
- from BIOS itself, it said "Security Validation Failed"
- from AI Suite III for Windows, EZ Update util, it said "Get Blocks error…"
:frowning:

Any suggestions on how to solve it? Thanks

@epolet you must use usb flashback to flash the bios

@Kwstas - XMP options, available speed/profiles is not controlled by the BIOS, this is in your memory stick SPD chip.
If your memory only have 1333 or 1600 XMP profiles, then you can only choose one of those, then raise the memory multiplier to 1866, or set it all manually without XMP
If you want XMP 1866 or above, you have to purchase memory with XMP profile with 1866 or above.

For your post at #78 above - what post # in this thread, is that broken link you posted from? BTW, you can now post links without breaking them
AHCI is not related to RAID/RST, well they may be related, but they are not controlled by same thing in the BIOS. Updating or changing RAID module will only affect anything, if you are using RAID
I don’t know which roms are best for X79, you will have to look at the suggested versions to use area and you will see what is compatible. Some BIOS here, or other Asus X79 thread, I’ve updated RAID Modules in a few, but I can’t remember what models.