[Request] Bios modding for Alienware 15 Models

What kind of sleep mode though? Sleep (S3) or Hibernate (S4)?

S1 - Sleep
CPU is stopped. RAM maintains power. Everything else is off, or in low power mode.

S2 - Sleep
CPU has no power. RAM maintains power. Everything else is off, or in low power mode.

S3 - Standby
CPU has no power. RAM maintains power, refreshes slowly. Power supply reduces power. This level might be referred to as “Save to RAM.” Windows enters this level when in standby.

S4 - Hibernate
Power to most hardware is shut off. Any files in memory are saved to the hard disk in a temporary file. If configured, the NIC will remain on for WOL, or AoL. This level is also known as “Save to disk.”
https://superuser.com/questions/71835/wh…ur-sleep-states

See also, with “Modern Standby” S0-low power (maybe first option in your BIOS?)
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6334…dows-10-pc.html
This also shows you how to check what is enabled/possible, and how to change stuff from windows-side too

Here’s how to check if your system supports modern standby - Here’s how to check - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1458…ndows-10-a.html
Note the warning in orange - You cannot switch between S3 and Modern Standby by changing a setting in the BIOS. Switching the power model is not supported in Windows 10 without a complete OS re-install.
And for this, I assume you need to test with the first BIOS Option enabled/disabled, and if it was disabled by default, to enable/use it, you need to do a clean windows install with it enabled (and then OS will say supported, if it’s supported by this system)

See also, for reference/info
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2859…ndows-10-a.html
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7468…ndows-10-a.html
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7503…ndows-10-a.html

If you think it’s a BIOS issue, but also related to using the graphics amplifier, then test without it until you have OS/sleep how you want.
Then test with it. Then show me a BIOS that has the fix and I will compare with your current and see if I notice any obvious BIOS setting differences.
Sadly, the fix they applied may not just be a BIOS settings change.

You don’t see >> OEM Dock Graphic Mode anywhere? This should be visible to you in the stock BIOS, once dock is connected.
If it’s not, and those options I mentioned look like something you need to tinker with, then I can see if I can make this visible to you.
You do see >> Performance Tuning << When dock is connected, correct? If yes, how does it look, does it have it’s own tab, or is in inside another tab/section?

Yes, there is an entire section for the dock. Do you have AMIBCP 5.02? If not, find in google, or send me a PM.
Then open BIOS in AMIBCP and look on right side, you can expand all the menus, this is all possible settings (to a degree, some things we may not be able to make visible)
Tell me what you’re missing.

I looked at the bios with AMIBCP and in fact there are all the options of the bios except OEM DOCKING which I don’t see in the bios but I see on AMIBCP …
the problem of sleep mode and hibernation happens to me only when the graphics amplifier is connected … could it be a question of software?

I have seen that this thing has been solved for R2 alienware with this update: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/…re-15-r2&lwp=rt … I do not understand, however, why the update was not made also for R1 since it came out only a year before the release of this patch …

Edit : @Lost_N_BIOS i can’t enable WoL (wake on lan)… I have set on windows all the parameters for the Lan card (magick packet, etc …) … but when I turn off the computer the lan card remains off … in theory to work it should remain powered …

@Colder1989 - Sleep mode seems to always have random issues, and when it’s something hardware related, or software/driver/hardware related, only the driver and manufacturers can sort that out.
So yes, that’s probably something only Dell could sort out, if they wanted to. You could try older driver/software versions and see if any of those work better. Does the issue happen w/ dock connected, but NO software or drivers installed for it?

Sleep also CAUSES it’s own issues too, and I mean when it’s actually working properly, due to systems never actually being rebooted…
I tend to never use it due to this, getting in the habit of never rebooting and always sleep/wake causes more random problems on it’s own and you never know why, until you stop using sleep.

Thanks for the link to the other BIOS, I will compare it and the previous one, to see if I see any settings changes in BIOS (but it may not just be this, even if this is there)

On WOL, I will make you BIOS soon with updated LAN Module, to see if that will fix the issue. Please resize the above image, or put in a zip, thanks

@Lost_N_BIOS thanks!! I have resize to 200px?it’s ok?
I don’t even use sleep mode … but I’m just looking for a method to turn on the computer without having to open it and press the button every time … that’s why I want to activate wake on lan and then turn it on with Alexa … I don’t want to do hardware changes because a few times I take it out of the drawer I built for the computer and carry it around . …thanks again for your work!!! they should make a statue with your name on it

@Colder1989 - No, image is huge and lots of OK, Please put in max compressed zip, thanks.

Good to hear you don’t use sleep Hopefully we can make WOL work, but sometimes this is not possible due to hardware configuration. Maybe LAN rom update will help, sometimes it does, sometimes not
Thanks No statue of me needed Especially if we can’t solve this issue for you!

* Edit - Do you have secure boot disabled? If not, disable it for now
* Edit 2 @Colder1989 - Make this change and test again >> Advanced >> Network Stack Config >> Enable "Network Stack"
Fast boot needs to be disabled on windows side, since your BIOS does not have this option.
Also at original Boot, make sure Legacy ROM is enabled
Also, always be sure you start in BIOS by loading optimized defaults, then reboot to BIOS to make changes (so optimal is always the starting point, only need to do once)

*** Edit 3 - @Colder1989
If never any luck, here is biosreg with updated LAN modules. If this does not help either, I will set network stack enabled by default in the debug folder
I’m not sure if this is used by the BIOS, or changed when you change it in normal area, but it’s disabled for both fail safe and optimal in debug and normal area
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…231905271589090

* Edit 4 - Once we sort this stuff out, or exhaust attempt to sort, I will see about getting that Oem Dock Graphic Mode visible to you

@Lost_N_BIOS nothing to do … I tried all the settings you recommended … I flashed the new BIOS but nothing … it doesn’t work … when I turn off the computer the lan card switches off … I know that the motherboard does not support it … even if I don’t understand why there should be the entry on the BIOS … in sleep or hybrid mode instead the lan card stays on … but the problem is that I cannot enter it if I have connected the graphic amplifier … I guess the only option I have left is to make a jumper on the power cable and connect an external button…I have seen that on Amazon they sell these buttons for desktop computers but I think it is not difficult to make them compatible with a laptop … I’m really pissed off with Dell … they charge you more than 2000 euros for a computer and then if you want assistance you have to pay 500 euros a year or else they tell you they can’t help you because the support has expired one year after purchase …

Edit: I wanted to share this guide with you to see if it could be true on how to flash the stock BIOS in case of problems … what do you think ??

1. Download BIOS update file from Dell. We will call the downloaded file “BIOS.EXE” for this tutorial.

2. Open Command Prompt, and direct Command Prompt to where the BIOS.EXE file is located.

3. Run from Command Prompt "BIOS.EXE /writehdrfile

4. Open File Explorer and navigate to the directory where the BIOS.exe file is located. You will find, in that directory, a file named "BIOS.hdr"

5. Rename this file to “the first five digits of your motherboard part number.hdr”. For example, in my case, Googling “Alienware 13 motherboard” showed me the part number for my motherboard is “ZAP00 LA-A301P”, so my file name is ZAP00.hdr.

6. Copy this file to a USB drive formatted to FAT32.

7. Disconnect the battery in your laptop.

8. Insert your USB drive into the USB port closest to the power jack on your laptop.

9. Hold down the “END” key and insert your power adapter into the laptop. When you hear the CPU/GPU fans come on, let go of the “END” key.

10. Be patient and wait. My install took about two minutes to complete, and the laptop turned itself off.

11. Remove USB drive, press power, and hopefully you will have a fully functioning laptop!

Sorry to hear! Yes, for a power button, you can use any 3-12V momentary switch, and make a cable as long as you want.
That method is more for BIOS recovery, or alternate method if you can’t run the exe, rather than a standard BIOS flashing method.
To flash BIOS, you simply run the stock EXE. Also, not all Dell BIOS will have HDR/PFS in the exe, so it may not apply to all systems/models

@Lost_N_BIOS anyway I extracted the BIOS of the alienware 15 R2, and I opened it with Ami but I don’t notice many differences from mine … besides I also see that OEM DOCK menu there etc … it is really absurd that the wake on lan does not it works … unfortunately the lan turns off when the computer is off … I give up by now and I hope that DELL wakes up to put these basic things in their computers … thank you very much for everything …

You’re welcome! Sorry we can’t get the LAN thing sorted out!
Do you want to see about getting the OEM Dock menu visible to you?

@Lost_N_BIOS Thanks man…yes if you can…hovewer i have a update…i change a few settings on bios and now i can hibernate the laptop…and i can Power On pc by Press the button on keyboard…that’s fine … at least I don’t have to take the computer out of the drawer and open the lid … unfortunately even in the state of hibernation the WoL does not work … the lan port switches off…I didn’t notice any slowdown on restart … and the amplifier works perfectly … I’m Happy like that…

Please help me unlock bios on alienware 15R1. I really want RAID0, I have 2 ssd m.2 installed. sorry for google translator