[Request] Dell XPS 9570 mod bios for slow processor problem

Good morning
I have a dell xps 9570 which was very slow, I noticed that the processor was limited to 0.8ghz. By taking advice on this forum ‘‘BD PRO, why? | TechPowerUp Forums’’ I understood that it is a problem in the bios which causes the computer thinks it’s overheating even though the processor is only around 50 degrees. You can see it on my post under the name ‘‘superplus’’
They explained to me on this forum that it might be necessary to modify the bios to indicate a higher heating temperature, but I don’t understand it, I don’t know how to do it.
Would anyone be kind enough to help me?
Here is the link for my bios: ‘‘https://www.dell.com/support/home/fr-fr/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=jkvjh&oscode=w2021&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop’’
I really don’t know what to do, it would save me

Once done I plugged my battery again and sadly missed the slot, so I had to pull it out again to try and plug it once more and thats when I heard some electrical crackling noise coming from the connector

You might have boilded the Embedded Controller. It usually controls battery and fans.
In your case, according to unclewebb…

this was the first year that Dell introduced this new throttling scheme. It was a disaster. They used an embedded controller (EC) which could force low power limits

Don’t know if that can be fixed with software solution, but I will check.

thanks a lot for your help
The beginning of the forum is not mine, I came in the middle to ask my question with the pseudonym ‘‘superplus’’
It was ‘‘MQL’’ who told me that we could modify the bios to solve this problem, but I don’t know how to do it
What is very strange is that after having reinstalled my entire system with dell recovery, the processor this time was limited to approximately 1.6ghz, at 69 degrees instead of 59 degrees, which clearly shows that it is a software problem…

Are you using the original charger and does the throttle also happen with battery power?
Because DELL (and other brands) throttle their devices if they are unable to determine the wattage of the power supply. Commonly happens with third party power adapters or if the central pin is damaged. Usually DELL laptops says the wattage of the power adapter in the BIOS. Make sure to check that.

It’s important to have this checked before attempting to mod the device

1 Like

I use an original DELL charger, but I will check what power is sent with the charger
Where do we see this problem in the bios?
Is there a way to see it without going through the bios?

I checked the charger and there are no problems.
It’s probably a problem in the bios, which would explain why it changed when I reinstalled it, although I don’t see why it really changed, and especially if it’s a bios problem, why is that only concerns my computer?
Thank you very much if you can modify my bios, it would help me a lot

Its just a bad model to buy, a thin chassis with such hw…
Sell it or give it to some one close for work only

or drill some holes on it and get a triple fan blower base.
Linus has the perfect solution reviews for it, check it out :rofl:

Cheaper solution or HEAVY DUTTY solution.

no, it’s not a chassis problem, I have an even thinner dell which works better, normally it can go up to 100 degrees, but here it gets stuck at 50 or 60. It’s a problem in the bios
If anyone knows how to modify it that would be great…

I meant “chassis”… the whole design…
But with the same hardware components equivalent power?
Is the system out of warranty now? Why not to try to improve the dissipation witht new thermal paste and a good clean to the ventilation.

Its not a bios problem… you just want to know if theres something in the bios relating to throttle/tdp to bypass Dell defaults… than can be a bitt tricky on Dell bioses. Good luck.

but in any case even if the chassis is bad, the processor should not be limited to 50 degrees, it should quickly rise to 100 degrees then slow down.
In addition, you can see a screenshot of a test saying that it cools well.
So this is a problem, it seems that he thinks the maximum temperature is 50 degrees, and it’s probably a problem in the bios, as seen on the forum link that I attached.
So I ask those who know how to modify a bios if they can see where the problem is.

Yes i do understand it.
Tale a look, Core i7-8750H (45W TDP) 0:02 – 0:10 sec 0:15 – 0:30 sec 10:00 – 15:00 min:
Dell XPS 15 9570 review - a notebook for everything | LaptopMedia.com
I think that if there was really a “BIG” issue in this bios Dell would already taken some measures, in all those 26 bios updates…
Thats why im saying that it shouldnt be a bios issue but instead its “poor” design and a user request only.
Is the system clean or not? Have you ever checked it internally?

Im just pointing all this because it could be very hard to flash a mod on this system and very VERY hard for unskilled users with a great risk of a death system, thats all.

I don’t understand what you mean by poor design.
It is not a bad design which can limit the temperature to 50 degrees, on the test that you attached, we see that it can go up to 97 degrees. If the fans were clogged, (but I don’t think the cleaning was done very long ago) it should go up very quickly to 97 degrees and then reduce the power, not as soon as it reaches 50 or 60 degrees.
So it’s definitely a software problem, after that I don’t know if it’s the bios or something else.
afterwards if you have time and you can see on the bios if you see something strange, we can be sure if the problem comes from there or not.
thank you very much for the time you spend for me

have you checked if there is a software solution?

Indeed. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I have a question…
After having reinstalled the system, CPU performance has grown. Anything changed in the TS’ limit reasons window?

The following are things that I checked.

Method (_PSV, 0, Serialized)  // _PSV: Passive Temperature
            {
                If (CondRefOf (\_SB.APSV))
                {
                    If ((\_SB.APSV != Zero))
                    {
                        Return ((0x0AAC + (\_SB.APSV * 0x0A))) // If APSV trip point is not zero, then use PSVT.
                    }
                }
                Return ((0x0AAC + (\PSVT * 0x0A))) // Convert degrees to kelvins
            }

Method (_PSV, 0, Serialized)  // _PSV: Passive Temperature
        {
            If ((\PTMC == Zero))
            {
                Return (0xFFFFFFFF) // If trip point is not defined, then no temp limit.
            }
            Return (\_SB.IETM.CTOK (\PTMC))
        }

As you can see there’s no specific value of 59 or 69 degress at which the CPU starts throttling. Instead it must be reading value from NVRAM which is configured by Setup.

• And XPS 9570 CPU passive trip point is 95 C by default in BIOS Setup. So there is no problem in ACPI tables.

• As well as no problem with PL1, in NVRAM at least. It is not defined.

• So far, I think the culript is DPTF driver. With Dell recovey, a lot of drivers have changed in the system. DPTF could be one of them.

thank you very much for taking care of my problem
Is the code you attached from the bios?
You think the fault comes from this driver: ‘‘https://www.dell.com/support/home/fr-fr/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=591dk&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop’’.
Do you think there is any point in updating it?
What’s weird is that the problem was half resolved with the update…

Yes. It is a little piece of code. Not very useful information.

I have launched the program you gave but it is always the same, it rises for a few seconds to 2.8ghz then very quickly it drops back to 1.6 stabilizing around 65 to 70 degrees, without ever exceeding 75 to 80 degrees.
I also reinstalled the driver with no further results.

FINALLY
I FOUND THE SOLUTION
I noticed that the fan was not spinning very fast, and I ended up finding that it was because in dell power manager it was set to silent mode when this software was not even installed, I I had to install it to modify this parameter.
So there were two problems: at the beginning when it was limited to 0.8 ghz it was a problem in the bios which was solved by the complete reinstallation with dell recivery, then there remained a bad setting in the parameters… .