Request for downgrading ME FW from 11.8 to 11.7

Thanks for report back. Try this, leave all things connected. Always load optimized defaults after any BIOS flash or programming, then save and exit, reboot back to BIOS, then make any changes you need.
In this case, on that second reboot to BIOS, I would set SATA/UEFI/OS Type/Secure Boot stuff I need set, then save and reboot once more to BIOS, then set the boot device order
^^ This what I always do, since once you change SATA/UEFI type/CSM/ or OS Type/Secure Boot etc the drives are not yet recognized as they will be on reboot (So standard operating procedure to me) ^^
That may be what your experiencing that you’re not used to or not expecting. That or you are not yet used to how to set boot device order in your BIOS, but I bet it’s more that you just need to set everything other than this to what you want, then reboot back to BIOS and set the main boot device order.

The main issue I was pointing out to you, aside from way too many AMIBCP changes for no reason, was caused by an incorrect microcode update. So who ever / when ever / how ever that was done, this is when that occurred.
Good to hear 70 ucode is shown as loaded

I don’t keep up with unlocking turbo bins or max multi etc, but research it out, and if you find it’s true for your CPU type then I can do the mod for you (I’ve done for others, just don’t keep it in my heads as it’s not requested often)
ucode is never edited, only removed or not, and I think that edit method only applies to “Some” Xeons on certain chipsets, other than that the edit is certain ME FW + Certain ucode, with or without other BIOS module edit (ie unlock MSR 194 or something like that)

I tried to do some de serach in The past about 7700hq and The only mod that I have did find was bclk oc but it is sad that there is 3% limitation on kaby lake.

But I remember that some ucode from pre spectre was A bit glitched in some way, maybe 5e but don’t remember, when you installed xtu on some ucode you got access to turbo ratios and you could manipulate them while for example on ucode 70 these are greyed. But there was no possibility to increase them but it might be good point to start. FOR me the perfect could be if turbo ratios was synced with 1 Core ratio, so all Core turbo would be 38 and no 34, I dont know if it can be hard mod/set in bios or some msr. I also dont know if flex ratio is not also responsible for oc bins. But in General I don’t know The msr register for oc. Only one that can higher your max oc limit. It is 0x1ad but dont know rest.

Maybe try looking for 7770 (desktop type models) instead, but yes, it may be a general kaby or chipset issue, I am not sure as I mentioned I don’t keep up with that kind of thing because it’s rarely discussed.

Maybe @chinobino or @dsanke can tell us if bclk overclock or turbo bin manipulation, or max turbo is possible on i7-7700hq + hm175 chipset

I’ll chip in what I do know.

For Kaby Lake base clock is limited to ~103 and no microcode or ME FW can overcome this limit as it was patched out by Intel.

Read this post from Prema talking about Skylake non-k oc;

Also, have a look at Prema’s world record overclock for the 7700HQ (validation link here).
Microcode = Rev. 0x70
Chipset = Intel HM175
CPU frequency = 3904.84 mhz (on 1 core only)

For Skylake non-k baseclock oc you had to set some specific settings in BIOS such as;

CPU Clock Ratio - For i5/i7 set it manually to the maximum supported by your CPU at default speed, not Turbo speed
Uncore Ratio - Set same as CPU multiplier
Intel Turbo Boost Technology - Disabled

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - Disabled
C3 State Support - Disabled
C6/C7 State Support - Disabled
C8 State Support - Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor - Disabled
CPU EIST Function - Disabled

Fast Boot - Disabled
Chipset Internal Graphics - Disabled

So even if you could get it to work:
A) You have no built-in CPU diode temperature monitoring (unless the motherboard has a temperature thermistor in the CPU socket)
B) iGPU must be disabled (which stops Nvidia Optimus from working)
C) AVX performance is 3x slower
D) Max CPU multiplier will be set to the all core speed (as Turbo is disabled)

The best thing to do for the 7700HQ and HM175 is to download Throttlestop and set it up to allow 3.4GHz all core without any throttling.

Having said that, I have uploaded all microcodes for the 7700HQ (CPUID 906E9) here, you can try these 1 by 1 if you really want;
cpu906E9_plat22_ver00000034_2016-07-10_PRD_7DE74E06.bin
cpu906E9_plat22_ver0000003A_2016-08-22_PRD_CE4DE67A.bin
cpu906E9_plat22_ver0000003C_2016-09-05_PRD_A1BC238F.bin
cpu906E9_plat22_ver0000003E_2016-09-16_PRD_31F37873.bin
cpu906E9_plat22_ver00000042_2016-10-02_PRD_D0EC7992.bin
cpu906E9_plat22_ver00000048_2016-11-15_PRD_4761D4C9.bin
cpu906E9_plat22_ver00000058_2017-03-09_PRD_AEA32856.bin
cpu906E9_plat2A_ver0000005E_2017-04-06_PRD_59C0DF6C.bin

@chinobino - Thanks, I thought so too, about Kaby, but wasn’t 100% sure. Your first sentence ends it all here, since he has Kaby CPU

Wow @ WR only 102.69 Bclk!!

So, what does he specifically have to do for the all core turbo, any specific settings need set or not set? Do I need to do the MSR 194 edit?
Or, does he just have to find one of the above microcodes allow it by default?
Plus throttlestop stuff (which I know nothing about)? He’ll have figure that part out, if you can’t advise.

Throttlestop can modify the required MSR’s for Turbo and Power Limits (the same way XTU and Intel Performance Maximizer do) and he already has microcode 0x70 so not really much for you to do.

Ok thank you, so I am at the limit of my CPU

just to inform you guys and to clarify I own a world record but didnt had much time to upload with bclk 102.98 i have around 3913 one core.

By the way cb scores are mine. Premia had around 780 cb15 then i scored 801 and he tried to beat me as I chalanged him but he achived only 790 score and my finał score in cb15 is 804 but didnt upload yet. And that was on much newer ucode.

Maybe now with 70 ucode and pre spectre Me FW I could do 1 od 2 points more as now I am seeing better response times, Nvme Speed is higher when benched solid scores of 3402-3440 and write above 2100. Previously i strugled to get 3200 and 1900 with the same level of disk filling
Also Aida is now giving me better transfers for memory around 300-400 MB more than with latest me and ae (80/8e/84/ba/c6) ucode.

And as for the mem, what do you think guys, how much can I achive with setting mem at 1 35 with taiphoon and tweaking timings to let say ci 16 or 17 and doing higher frequency.
Now I am running 3300 18-20-20-38-1T at 1.2V and starter to think if is worth spending money on taiphoon?

Can you write SPD to the RAM on that chipset?

AFAIK Intel blocked writing to SMBus addresses 50h - 57h for the 8-series chipsets and above.

On my Z370 I have a BIOS option ‘Memory SPD Write’ that I can enable but I doubt you’d have that on the HM175.

I think you would need a SO-DIMM EEPROM programmer to write to the RAM.

If you speak about this I think I have it but don’t know if working

Is there possibility to flash spd voltage without taiphoon but with some other tool like św?

20200102_194357.jpg

FPRR effects ability to write to laptop flash EEPROMs and not RAM.

The problem is that the SMBUS is blocked from allowing writes to the address ranges where SPD data is kept.

AFAIK no software can bypass this, it the lock needs to be enabled when the PC boots.

Change SPD Write Disable to False and you should be able to write to SPD. That is what I normally have to change, then it works, on most systems I’ve changed it on (maybe all, I can’t remember?)
Taiphoon free has a test it will tell you if it can write or not. Change that setting and then test.

OK. Thaiphoon shows something like this, look at attached picture.

What does it mean, I could do the spd write or not. In general it looks like I could program XMP but what about SPD??

TB.PNG

Did you disable SPD Write Protect (ie set to False) in BIOS? If not, do that first, then select one of those ONLY and hit the check button
If you did already make that change in BIOS, then you cannot write to SPD due to RSWP - http://www.softnology.biz/tips_wptest.html & www.softnology.biz/faq.html
See also - http://softnology.biz/tips_spdwritecap.html

I am unsure if this means hardware flash programmer also cannot write to the chip or not, if you removed it and tried to manually program.

@chinobino may know more about this than I do, I only know some boards let you once you change the BIOS setting, others don’t, and that this was MUCH easier on DDR3

I took a look at his SPI dump in AMIBCP and I can’t see ‘Memory SPD Write’ (AKA SPD Write Protect) where it is on my board (OverClocking Performance → Memory Overclocking).

There are some strings that reference it such as ‘SPD Write Disable’ and 'Enable/Disable setting SPD Write Disable. For security recommendations, SPD write disable bit must be set.'

Maybe I am missing something but I can’t see where to enable it.

I have only saw spd write disabled as @chinobino said but I have it set as disable/false. This one you can see at photo on previous page. Maybe it is still locked and if not it looks like only xmp can be written if I am not mistaken.

And maybe due to this lock I cannot set ram voltage?

This lock has nothing to do with ram voltage @Krzyslaw

@chinobino - this setting often located here (in this BIOS too) >> PCH-IO Configuration page near bottom.
I “assume” he’s made it visible in BIOS, not sure, but I assume he did and that’s his image above (I didn’t edit his BIOS for this)
It is possible, that he made it visible, but then still him changing it does nothing and it needs manually edited at all NVRAM locations by hand?

Send me a dump of your BIOS region again now Krzyslaw and I will hard set it to False at all NVRAM areas.

Ok

I will make a dump. Or maybe you prefer clean bios without any of my further mods that was unlocked by Svet? It should be fine and maybe will resolve my issue about nvme. FIT should not be broken but it will need me fw downgrade 11.7.0.1229 with transfering all settings and icc and ucode downgrade to 70?

Just dump BIOS as you’ve been using it now. I sent you BIOS before with all those changes you just mentioned, if you are using that, it’s fine, send me dump. We’re just testing if I hard set this SPD setting in NVRAM if it allows you to write SPD or not

Ok. Will do it soon.
P

Actually, also be sure you set SPD Write to False, then save and exit before you make the dump too, this way I can see how many times in what areas your saved setting is changed vs how many are left at TRUE