Request for RAID OROM for Asus P6X58D Premium

Hi folks,

I’m glad I finally stumbled onto this forum, as I believe it has the solution I’m looking for.

I’m trying to create a 4TB RAID array using my Asus P6X58D Premium M/B, however the drive size is not reported correctly in the Intel Storage Manager. I’ve got RAID OROM v8.0.0.1038 w/ RAID driver v8.9.0.1023.

From what I’ve read, I believe I need RAID OROM v10.5 or higher so that ISM can detect drives larger than 2TB? I am currently using the latest BIOS rev for my M/B, 1501.

I ran a system report using the Intel Matrix Storage Console, which I’ve attached.

My guess is that I need a custom RAID OROM which I’ll have to flash my BIOS with, and most likely update the RAID driver as well? I’m hoping someone can confirm my train of thought and point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your assistance!

system report.PNG

@ terralysis:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
You are absolutely right: If you want to get >2 TB sized RAID partitions being recognized, you have to update the Intel RAID ROM of your mainboard BIOS to v10.5.1.1070 or higher and to install a matching Intel RST driver.
This is what I recommend to do:

1. Download und unzip
    a) the original Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 (you can find the link >here<) and
    b) the original Intel RST AHCI/RAID Drivers & Software Set v11.2.0.1006 WHQL (the link is within the start post of >this< thread).
  2. Open the latest BIOS 1501 for your mainboard by using the AMI MMTool v3.26 according to >this< guide.
  3. Replace the Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.0.0.1038 by the Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 according to my guide and save the modified BIOS.
  4. Flash the modified BIOS into the mainboard BIOS chip according to my guide.
  5. Power off the computer completely and wait 1 minute.
  6. Start the computer, enter the BIOS, choose the “Optimized Defaults” and set the Intel SATA Controller to “RAID”.
  7. Reboot and hit CTRL+I. Now you should see the updated Intel RST RAID Utility v11.2.0.1527 and the >2 TB sized HDDs. If you want, you can create a new RAID array.
  8. Reboot, enter the BIOS again and redo your personal BIOS settings.
  9. Reboot into the OS resp. do a fresh install of the OS onto your RAID array.
  10. Uninstall the “Intel Matrix Storage Manager” software from within the Control Panel > “Add/remove Programs” section, reboot and install the Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.

Good luck!
Fernando

Thanks for the step-by-step Fernando!

A couple minor questions:

My RAID array is purely for storage and my Win 8 Pro x64 OS sits on an SSD. After redoing my personal BIOS settings in step 8, and telling the BIOS to boot off the SSD - will it load right into windows automatically? Or would I still have to re-install the OS?

In step 7, after hitting Ctrl+I and verifying that indeed the 4TB drives are being correctly read, can I boot into the OS and setup my RAID config from Windows? Or is it better to do it from the Ctrl+I interface?

Is there any way to save my current personal BIOS settings and simply reload them after I flash the BIOS again? to avoid the hassle of re-doing it?

Thanks again for your help,
terralysis

After having reset the correct boot device order within the BIOS, you will boot directly into your previously running Windows. A fresh OS installation is not necessary.

You can do it either way.

You should note your personal BIOS settings, before you flash any new BIOS version. Only some new mainboard BIOSes have the option to save the individual BIOS settings and to restore them automaticly.

@ Fernando:

I gave your step-by-step a shot tonight and everything works until step 7. After setting the Intel SATA controller to ‘RAID’ mode in the BIOS and rebooting, the system goes through POST and then I get a black screen with a flashing white underscore.

I cleared the CMOS, made a couple changes to get it back into AHCI mode and the system loads to Windows. So I guess updating the Intel RAID ROM will not work in my case, unless I’m missing something…

I tried both the Intel RST RAID ROM versions v11.2.0.1527 and v10.8.0.1303 to no avail. My last shot is going as far back as possible to v10.5.1.1070 and giving that a shot tomorrow. If that doesn’t work, I think I’m out of options - unless I buy a RAID card/controller…

Hopefully you have some other ideas.

Thanks again for your help.

It is a pity, that you didn’t get these updated Intel RAID ROM to work properly. Nevertheless it was worth a try.
There is a general space resp. compression problem with the OROM modules of X58 chipset mainboard BIOSes.

The user dokiemonk obviously got the Intel RAID ROM v10.5.1.1070 working with his ASUS P6X58D Premium (look >here<). So this may be successful for you as well.

Okay, then Intel RAID ROM v10.5.1.1070 is definitely worth a shot. Which Intel RST RAID/AHCI Drivers and Software Set would work best with this OROM? v10.6.0.1002 or v10.8.0.1003, or does it not really matter?

Edit: Gave v10.5.1.1070 a shot, but alas it didn’t work - I guess I’ll have to go buy a RAID card instead. Nevertheless, thanks for your help Fernando!

I am sorry about the BIOS update failure.
Nevertheless I have to thank you for the report, which I will put into >this< table to prevent future disappointments by ASUS P6X58D Premium users.

Okay, so I’m not sure how this happened but here’s goes nothing:

After receiving the black screen with the white blinking cursor when I switch the storage config to RAID mode, I switched it back to AHCI so I could boot into windows. I plugged all of my hdd’s back in and restarted.

Once in windows, I opened up Disk Management and to my amazement, the full capacity of the 4TB drives were actually being displayed! Here is the before shot when it only displayed ~1600GB:

before.PNG

Further to this, RAID options of ‘New Mirrored Volume’ and ‘New Striped Volume’ were also being offered when I right-clicked on a 4TB drive. So I tried to RAID the drives and BAM, it works! Here is the current state:

after.PNG

@ terralysis:

Thanks for your additional report, which may be very good news for you and other users with a similar mainboard.
Nevertheless I am not sure, if everything is fine for you now.

Please hit CTRL+I while booting. What does the Intel RST RAID Utility show?
If possible, take a screenshot and post it.

Nothing happens when I hit Ctrl+I during POST - I’m guessing the command is unavailable if you’re in AHCI mode. Strangely enough, it’s clear that the RAID update is working since it can correctly detect 4TB drives and RAID them.

On a side note, since I use RAID OROM v10.5, which of the Drivers & Software Set should I install? v10.6.0.1002 or v10.8.0.1003?

That is true, but an Intel RAID array requires, that the Intel SATA Controller has been set to "RAID".
I suspect, that you are actually running a "Software RAID". In this case the Intel RAID ROM of your BIOS will not be used at all by your system.

The 2 TB limitation is only valid for Intel RAID volumes and not for AHCI or Software RAID volumes.

As long as the Intel RAID Utility (CTRL+I) is not available, you can use any Intel AHCI driver version, which supports your Intel chipset.

This is what I also started to suspect. However, as long as it works, I’m happy. I plan to create a storage/media server in the next year or so anyway, so it’s not that big of a deal.

I guess what we can conclude from this is that doing the RAID OROM update for the P6X58D Premium, likely does not work. I searched your forums for other people with the same board and noticed they also ran into the same issue as I did.

@ terralysis:

Ok, so I have not to re-edit resp. re-correct the just updated “BIOS Modding Success/Failure Table” (look >here<).

It should work for you, but only 10.1 (ONLY 10.1). Anything higher will not work, verified this on two P6X58D-Premium, tried every combination of smart things to the ridiculous. 10.1 only.

Here is the modded 1501 w/10.1 and more… Running stable on a code cruncher workstation for about a year now.

Based on ASUS P6X58D-Premium 1501 Bios.
Added:
Intel RAID Option ROM with Trim Mod 10.1
Marvell Yukon PXE Build v6.60.2.3 (20080422) (Ethernet Option ROM) Latest i could find
Marvell Storage Controller v1.0.0.1038 Option ROM
ASUS P6X58D-Premium 1501/RST10.1/MarvNIC66023/MarvStor1038

1501-101T-66020ME-1001038MS.zip (2 MB)

Thanks for sharing you modded 1501 flashed just fine but still a no go for me ctrl+I does nothing and windows still sees my 3tbs as 750 a pop in disk management when in set to raid. Would love to know how you got it working / set up since you seem to be the only one.

@ CrimsonKing:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

If the Intel RAID Utility doesn’t show up while booting, you should check your BIOS settings. Maybe a CMOS clearing is required.

This problem can only be solved by ASUS. You should ask them for a reconstructed BIOS, which offers more space for the Intel RAID ROM module.
After having flashed the modded BIOS you have successfully updated the Intel RAID ROM to v10.1.0.1008, but an Intel RAID ROM v10.5.x.xxxx or higher is required to get > 2 TB RAID volumes detected by the Intel SATA RAID Controller. Due to the limited space within the BIOS of your X58 mainboard it is impossible to get any newer/bigger Intel RAID ROM module properly inserted.
This is what lowjax meant when he wrote this:

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Had already tried clearing the CMOS (battery even got replaced the other day when I was in there replacing drives). Went through the bios couldn’t find anything out of the ordanary or that should / would be preventing the Intel RAID Utility at boot (still nothing getting a bit frustrating).

This problem can only be solved by ASUS. You should ask them for a reconstructed BIOS, which offers more space for the Intel RAID ROM module.
After having flashed the modded BIOS you have successfully updated the Intel RAID ROM to v10.1.0.1008, but an Intel RAID ROM v10.5.x.xxxx or higher is required to get > 2 TB RAID volumes detected by the Intel SATA RAID Controller. Due to the limited space within the BIOS of your X58 mainboard it is impossible to get any newer/bigger Intel RAID ROM module properly inserted.
This is what lowjax meant when he wrote this:

^ Makes sense thanks for clearing that up.

So as strange as it sounds the Intel prompt started showing up after post after a flash back to the stock bios, weird, but what evs… I guess there is a chance I mislabeled folders on the flash drive but I don’t think so since I’ve been back and forth up and down the last few days, in any case I got it to work with the size restriction… oh well thanks for the help guys wish I could run 10.5 or up without having to replace a MOBO.

Ask the ASUS Support for a new P6X58D-Premium BIOS with support of >2 TB sized RAID volumes. I know, that it has been done for another ASUS X58 Chipset mainboard (don’t remember the exact model).