[Request] FTPM support for AMD NUC (HC HCAR357-MI)

@Matt i haven’t checked the firmware ID/ GUID. Which tool are you using for that?
I have backed up my BIOS before flashing. Here are the two files: The original BIOS (AMIBOOT) and the BIOS mod (AF5PN01) flashed. Can you check them? What are the details you need to check?

I have uplugged the battery and changed the jumper position, but nothing happens. I will try to power on without the battery and wait several seconds.

I have ordered in Amazon a ch341 programmer with a clip (KeeYees SOP8 SOIC8 Clip de Prueba para EEPROM 25CXX / 24CXX + CH341A USB Programador Flash BIOS EEPROM 24 25 Serie)
to try to restore the original BIOS if everything fails. Can you help me with this if this is the only option?

Thx.

AF5PN01.zip (4.22 MB)

AMIBOOT.zip (3.97 MB)

i’m very sad you haven’t resolved your issue yet.

the GUID can be checked with the amiflash utility you propably used (AFUWINGUIx64) , i have checked and they match with my current bios (AF5PN01_mod) so you shouldn’t experience this serious issue .
Firmware IDs can have little differences instead as far as i know

Are you sure you have checked “program all blocks” (main, Boot Block, NVRAM) ?

i’ve done a compare(via compare plugin installed on notepad++) between generated reports by MMTool 5.02_patched and i see substantial differences between ROMS ,
the most important boot block relocated from 6th to 7th FV;

it is vital to do a complete flash when there are such differences to ensure a coherent BIOS as result in the rom .

However the boot block has the same starting address & lenght between the two ROMs ,
maybe it is dynamically referenced somewhere inside the ROM by FV and not by address?
I don’t have this kind of knowledge, i’m not an embedded programmer, i’m a java one .

Other than that i really can’t explain the reason why you’re experiencing such an issue.

I don’t have any relevant experience with EEPROM Programmers , so be sure to obtain the correct procedure from the equipment vendor or asking in the forum by opening a separate support thread looking for this specific support,however i will try to help you the best i can .

You will find in the attachments the compare made and the reports generated

reports.zip (27.9 KB)

rom compare.jpg

guid compare.jpg

program all blocks option.jpg

Really i don’t remember exactly, but i think that i have flashed the BIOS with the command line:
AFUWINx64.EXE AF5PN01.rom /p /b /n /k /x /reboot

Your original BIOS and the mod BIOS have the same boot Block? 6th?

Thanks

my original MN35 ROM has the boot block as the 7th the same as you , so i flashed the whole rom otherwise i could end up with wrong address references mixed from these two roms resulting in a unusable BIOS.

The boot block in my opinion is the most important difference but there are many others that can be seen comparing reports.

in post #11 [REQUEST]: Enabling FTPM support on a ‘Generic’ AMD NUC-alike (HC HCAR357-MI) there’s a summary for Melvin, in which i suggested him all the steps, can be useful as a reference.

I have compared the reports from your BIOS update process and my BIOS update process, and i think maybe the problem is the boot block you have commented: in your process the boot block doesn’t change (is the 7th in both BIOS) and in my process it changes from 6th (original BIOS) to 7th (your BIOS modded). Is there a way to change its position in a BIOS without corrupting it? In your BIOS update the boot block doesn’t change, but blocks 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 08 yes. What can change and what it can’t change?

Thx

i havent’ commented or modified anything by hand (too risky) , i’ve only modified the bios updating drivers inside it (OROM) with ubu; the original AF5PN01 bios is made by MINIS for their dmaf5 based on the same HC HCAR357-MI
i’m not an embedded EEPROM programmer so can’t say for sure what can be changed and what not , as stated above i think the problem may be your bios is looking for a boot block that isn’t there because it is relocated in the new rom.
it is likely that you have a mix in your rom but it is only speculation.
Best way to have more propability for your model to have a working rom using AF5PN01 is tho program ALL blocks , but can’t be 100% sure (as stated in #11)
anyway you have to restore your original bios before doing anything else

Hi Matt, i have successfully restored the original BIOS with the CH341a programmer. I wonder if there is a way to modify my original BIOS with the AF5PN01 bios made by MINIS to add their mods. Comparing the 2 original BIOS (my BIOS and the HCAR357-MI) there are some differences, like having 1 more FV than mine, Boot Block located at different FV, and some differences in Nested FVs. What do you think?

Thx

Hi Matt. I really appreciate the work and effort you have put in here. I thought there was no solution to this. You buy a new, modern piece of equipment, and you can’t take advantage of essential functionality because the vendor doesn’t provide a firmware update. And I’ve tried a thousand ways, but Tbao in this case won’t agree to provide it. I have to say that in my case I followed the instructions on this forum with the flash application and the ROM with the updated drivers, and everything went smoothly. I even like the minisforum logo better.

@Chuky i’m relieved you had succesfully restored your original bios , if i were you i’d not touch anything by hand ;
IMHO the only thing you can try , if you are determined is to use the AFUWINGUIx64 with the exact settings in my post #22 flashing the rom you flashed earlier one more time ;
this way you will be sure you have programmed all blocks , including boot block that hopefully will be correctly relocated in a coherent FV .

If it fails you can restore you original bios one more time ( was it difficult ? can you explain the basic steps you have done? did you place the clip over EEPROM without moving it? )

I don’t have the skillset to understand the work done by MINIS engineering , also because we are looking at a compiled rom file , not the source that generated it , so extra effort is needed ;

@Raycastle thank you! i worked on other users ’ observations and took a small risk , because i really find TPM very useful to protect data inside this mini pc, not even installed W11 ;
it is a pity that Tbao isn’t supporting further developments , but that’s a common thing among less known chinese brands,
they maximize profit having aggressive prices and that market model can’t support further development once the product hit the market .

Matt, for the moment i’ll wait sometime to make another try. The process wasn’t difficult: i have followed the guide from [GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer and it works, not at first try, but after three of four yes (the most difficult part is assembly all the conections right: the clip to the adapter, and the adapter to the programmer).

I have used the clip over the BIOS without removing it. It’s a Winbond W25Q64FWIQ chip, so i need to use the 1.8V adapter too. I have used CH341A programm v1.30 and removed power and battery from the motherboard.

Hi
Some help please.I have a Tbao MN35. After search the web about tpm 2 to install windows 11 i’ve found this topic. For me flash a bios that isn’t the original one realesed is a little scary.
Can some one help and inform if it’s secure to flash my bios?

I’ve download the utility (AFUWINGUIx64.exe) and (AF5PN01_mod)

02.jpg

01.jpg

Well guys I’m glad that I found this topic. I’m gladly have to say I followed every step and flashed my bios on the tbao mn35 all went well and is now windows 11 compatible.i will go do this on a friends computer who has a minisforum amd ryzen 3550h so there this should definitely work.
Thanks again!
Thanks guys for all the help.

It’s safe to do on amd ryzen 3550h it’s exact the same chipset in the minisforum mini pc. Although for the minisforum I would take the original minisforum bios.

I did flash a second mini pc successfully. For me it’s safe to do.

Hi,

I have the Tbook MN35.
Do i have to flash it in windows or is a dos based command flash ?
Do you guys have some more details how to flash the MN35.

Ok, just to confirm what happened to Chuky. I also have the Chatreey AN1 with Ryzen 3550H. Made sure all the boxes were ticked on AFUWin64 and my AN1 is also bricked. So, as Chucky, have also ordered KeeYees SOP8 SOIC8 CH341A USB on Amazon, will let you know how it goes.

Guys, anyone with Chatreey AN1 3550H, do not flash seeking TPM because you will brick the unit.

I have the new Chatreey AN1 and recently updated the bios to minisforum one and then to mod with updated drivers .
Initially the chatreey bios showed it as ryzen 5 3550H , BUT …
After updating to minisforum bios it already appeared in bios as Ryzen 5 3550U CPU and not 3550H .
I have encountered big problem with installing vega 8 driver in windows 10 64 bit , but finally applied to seller for help .
The seller responded quickly and gave me the right driver for my processor (he emailed to me zipped driver that i have installed manually ), that can’t be updated with AMD driver packages .
It’s really Ryzen 3550U CPU with Vega 9 graphics !
Now everything seems to work just fine , except that there is no way to update the Vega 9 driver via official updated driver packs :frowning:

@Blacktimes , what bios have you flashed, the minisforum one (AF5PN01) or the minisforum with updated drivers (AF5PN01 modded)? Do you have cleared the CMOS removing the battery? If not, try it.

@krazzyk , do you have buy the Chatreey AN1 with ryzen 3550H? what process have you followed? First you have flashed the minisforum bios one (AF5PN01), and after the minisforum bios with updated drivers (AF5PN01 modded)? haven’t you had any problem in both process after reseting? After flash the bioses, do you have cleared the CMOS?

Regards

I flashed the AF5PN01 modded and I did clear the CMOS. In the end my fault for bricking the unit, my unit is an EGlobal A1-2700U, identical to the MN27, not the MN35. I have recovered it with the CH341a and AsProgrammer 2.0.2 and I now have TPM 2.0, because the obtained MN27 Bios file has been updated, so it has all worked out very well.

@Chuky @Blacktimes
Hi! I have the bios update to Chatreey AN1 3550H that enables fTPM, asked for them in the Chatreey Official Store in Aliexpress, I can DM the link (I need 3 messages to post it here) but you can ask to te store and they’ll send you the link too. I cannot test it because I don’t know how to restore my PC if I brick it :frowning: ¿Can anyone test it and tell me if it’s safe?

edit: okay, I can attach it. ¿Can someone check it? If you don’t believe that is official, search: Chatreey Official Store Aliexpress in Google and ask them in messages. Thanks!

Edit: PLEASE DON’T INSTALL IT. MY CHATREEY AN1 IS NOW BRICKED. Tring to fix it with CH314A tomorrow.

Edit by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted posts replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

wetransfer_tb3_1022a-27_2021-11-08_0713.zip (9.17 MB)