[Request] Gigabyte Aero 15 OLED BIOS unlocked

@enderfish - Some of these models/variants you can’t use setup_var, seems you must have one of those.
What is your exact variant, since sometimes BIOS does not say same thing (VB is what your BIOS says, at also says Aero 15 and 17, so as you can see, sometimes they are confusing)
Let me look into your BIOS dump and then I will edit this post with info for you on how to do it via RU method instead, check back in a bit for edit (maybe 5 minutes)

* Edit - Your BIOS lock variable = 0x17, and it’s stored in PCHSetup, not setup, thus setup_var will not work
Here is guide about using RU method - Go to section 2.2 and make bootable USB with RU program, then read 2.3-2.5
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/…-issues.812372/

Please note, this guide discusses making changes in “Setup” but you will not be doing that, you will go into “PCHSetup” at the GUID below

PCHSetup @ 4570B7F1-ADE8-4943-8DC3-406472842384
You need to make the change from 01 to 00 at 0x17 - this means line 0010 (or may simply be 10) >> Out to column 07 = 0x17
Show me an image once you are in there, if you are not sure, I will circle it for you

Ah, interesting! Okay, well, I have created a bootable RU drive and I booted from it, but I am not sure what to do at this point. Let me attach a screenshot showing where I am in the process and maybe you can help point me in the right direction. :smiley:

1.png

@enderfish - Good job so far >> Hit ALT+C to expand the Config menu, then select UEFI variable >> Then go to PCHSetup (4570B7F1-ADE8-4943-8DC3-406472842384) via up/down arrow keys
Then make change as I mentioned above
Then CTRL+W to save
Then ALT+Q to exit
Then reboot, go back into RU and check to be sure what you changed was saved.
Then FPT Step #1 with new file name (like biosregnew.bin) and send me the file.

Hi again,

Okay so I navigated to that area and am including a screenshot. I am not sure where exactly I need to modify (and in what way), so I want to be extra sure before I do anything! Appreciate the patience!!

Edit: Oh wait, I might understand! So I uploaded a new picture and circled the value. Do I need to change that from 01 to 00?

image_2020-11-10_134424.png

@enderfish - Good work so far! And it’s good you waited to ask to be sure, better safe than sorry!
You never answered me >> What is your exact variant of this laptop? Like XB, XA, SA etc

Here’s what you edit, on line 0010 (underlined) >> Column 07 (arrows) - Change the circled 01 to 00 then save and do as I mentioned at #203

0x17.jpg

Ah, apologies for not answering that! I am actually not sure, let me look that up. Okay, so I’m pasting in the results of my msinfo32, will that show the exact model?

And also, here is the new BIOS export! I made the change from 01 to 00 and it did save. :slight_smile:

image_2020-11-10_140217.png

biosregnew.zip (5.94 MB)

Look at the bottom of the laptop, it should say on a sticker. That says "YB", but please check for sticker to be sure too.

You were right!

image_2020-11-10_141018.png

Thanks, just wanted to be sure so I keep all the stuff for your model in correct folder. I can’t download that stock BIOS, they do not have it on site, only the newer FB06, but it’s OK
Sorry, but I have to run for right now, but I will be sure to make the unlocked BIOS to you tonight as soon as I get back

That makes sense, thank you so much for patiently walking me through all this!

And yes, no rush at all! Just happy I was able to get you all the information you need. Let me know if you do end up needing anything additional!

Hope you have a great rest of your day / night, and thanks again! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome! I always try to help as much as I can, when I can
I shouldn’t need anything else, just have to have about 10-15 minutes to do the edit, and I don’t have enough time now, just about to head out.
You have a good day too, thanks. I will be back in about 8-9 hours from now, if you are around then, you will have unlocked BIOS right about then

Well, it is very much appreciated! :smiley:

I will likely be asleep when you get the unlocked BIOS to me, but that is perfectly fine as it gives me something to look forward to in the morning. :slight_smile:

So, when you send over the unlocked BIOS, what is the best method for flashing my BIOS with it?

@enderfish - Thanks to you as well!
Here you go, flash it back via FPT step #2 >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosregnewM.bin
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…751968166497267

Woohoo, thank you so much! :smiley:

So, just out of curiosity, if I do happen to undervolt too much and mess up the BIOS, I am able to re-flash using this, right? Just want to make sure I understand fully before doing anything!
-----------------

And also, sorry, one more question, but are you familiar with how to undervolt in this particular BIOS? I just successfully flashed the BIOS and looked through to see if I could find the settings, but I didn’t see it. Maybe I am just missing something obvious!

Edit: Okay so I found the Overclocking settings area and enabled it. Maybe it’s one of these settings?

2.jpg

@enderfish - You’re welcome And NO, you wont be able to reflash BIOS if you set too low. Please pay close attention to my warning, if you set voltage too low, you will need flash programmer to fix it!!
I am not familar with undervolting in any laptop, I only know people often brick their laptop by setting this too low, that is why I add this warning when I give someone unlocked laptop BIOS.
Yes, in your image, the voltages are in that area

Understood! Yes, I figured that would be the case, which is why I wanted to double check. :slight_smile:

In that case, what would I need to do to obtain a bootable flash with this unlocked BIOS loaded? Is that something I can also request and pay for you to send?

Again, sorry if I am not understanding something!

@enderfish - Flash programmer is cheap, if you want to head into undervolting I suggest you pickup a set now in case you need latter. Better to order in advance and have it, than have to order after you need it and wait or pay more $$ to get faster.
You need flash programmer such as CH341A + SOIC8 / SOP8 test clip with cable. If you need linked examples let me know and I will show you tonight when I get back.

Sorry, not sure what you mean about bootable flash? Yes, maybe some misunderstanding
If you brick BIOS due to voltage too low, you cannot fix with bootable flash stick, you wont be able to boot to DOS or EFI, you will need to fix with hardware flash programmer mentioned above.

But, if you just want a bootable flash setup with the unlocked BIOS instead of stock one, I can put together a package like that for you.
But, you can only use it when BIOS is not bricked due to voltages too low. Also, I am not 100% sure it would flash, due to mod BIOS. We would have to test that out

Sorry again for the late response, it has been a hectic week!

Hmm, so I have no idea how I would connect that flash programmer to my laptop motherboard. I imagine I’d have to disassemble the case to access those ports? I’m thinking that might be more trouble than I am wanting to go through, perhaps… :slight_smile:

How would we test that bootable flash setup? It would be nice to have that, if possible!

@enderfish - We have a guide for using flash programmer, yes, back of the casing has to be removed, then programmer is connected via clip to BIOS chip directly - This is only necessary if you brick your BIOS though
[GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer

As for testing a bootable flash stick with Win98 SE and FPT DOS Files, you’d just make one with stock BIOS region and confirm it works OK, then if so replace stock BIOS with mod BIOS and confirm it works OK or not (BIOS Lock would need disabled again first, if you flash in stock region)
This would not work with the stock BIOS flashing tool/method, due to I already know AFU does not allow mod BIOS flashing. I just seen in stock BIOS package AFU is used as the flash tool.
It also would not work if BIOS is bricked, nothing can be boot in such cases. So really, this is not ideal for any type of recovery method, like you may have been thinking.

@enderfish
if you were just thinking about undervolting, I would recommend you find a stable undervolt with throttlestop or intel XTU first and then put that into the bios after you are sure it’s stable
that way you don’t risk bricking yourself