[Request] Gigabyte AORUS 17G XC Bios unlock

Hey everyone!! Hope you all are having an awesome morning/day . I am requesting and unlocked bios for this new Gigabyte laptop the - AORUS 17G XC (RTX3070) Version. I am looking to be able to turn off the igpu /optimus and undervolt the cpu. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! and donations for your time and help is guaranteed!

AORUS 17G XC (RTX 30 Series) support
latest bios vesion is FB03 (2021/01/22)

your product is still being supported,therefore highly likely will receive further updates.

Updating management engine firmware also recommended
Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine:Drivers, Firmware and Tools

As rule of thumb,keep your OS,apps,bios and drivers updated

i have everything updated. had i know this laptop had optimus , i would have held out for the Tiamat or something else. lol buyers remorse is biting me hard right now.

Set preferred graphics processor to gpu on nvidia control panel

NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Preferred graphics processor setting

Also assign physx to gpu

If somehow an app ignores the global setting,you can force it to use dgpu by selecting it from control panel manually

Also you can bypass the integrated card bottleneck simply by hooking to a monitor

Gave it a try with the monitor. Performance is great that way so many thanks on reminding me of that !!

But now unlocking the bios would be great for getting the ability to unlock undervolting of the cpu. Not having control of my cpu in Throttlestop is driving me nuts. Was told the bios was an easy unlock. So I’m looking around trying to figure that part out I guess lol

Hi @kfxsti ! Welcome to the club. Please follow the spoiler ‘Dump BIOS region w/ FPT’ in this message, then compress your biosreg.bin with winrar or 7z, and attach here (or somewhere I can download it from).

I have the same system and same Bios version. I am looking to unlock OC and undervolt along with memory overclocking control. I dont think you can add a mux though the BIOS only? I believe it has to be hardwired on the board, either way, if you think that is a doable thing then all for it, but its not my objective.

biosreg.part1.rar (5 MB)

biosreg.part2.rar (1.03 MB)

Sorry on the late reply everyone, Work had me slammed the last three days . I think dave saw my post on FB about wanting the control back officially LOL.

We are in this together, lets unlock this thing.

The Truth !! lol

biosreg1.part1.rar (5 MB)

biosreg1.part2.rar (1.03 MB)

I am also trying to make some thermal headroom. I have a 140w vbios for this thing but it thermal throttles the GPU when it runs wide open. I have recorded a 19% gain in performance running it, but expect more once I can get thermals under control.

I went ahead and cracked mine open, polished both the GPU and CPU heat plates, and repasted with some TG7 thermal paste to see how well the temps would be. So far on a custom laptop cooler (a square made from some aluminum extrusion left over from a 3d printer rebuild, and 3 AC Affinity Usb 120mm fans lol ) my idles are 27 CPU, and 29 GPU. The fans instantly ramp up on this thing if they get to raising above 60c . I haven’t really had a chance to run through any games as of yet as this is my “work” and gaming laptop. lol But Im hoping to get more battery life out of this thing via an undervolt . At least hopefully keep the fans from spooling so much , especially during meetings lol.
I have a boatload of different thermal pastes from Gelid, to Thermaltake, Thermal Grizzly , Noctua and a few different brands of liquid metals lol. So if there is one you want me to try out , let me know .

Nice, I have some 1000-3000 grit sand paper waiting to polish mine but have not popped this one off. I repasted my 15G XC but saw almost no improvement.

@daveholland86 Hi. Here is your unlocked bios.

*** WARNING *** - This BIOS is user specific! If you are not user daveholland86 at Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!

Regarding mux: There is an option for that in the bios, but I too think it should be hardwired on the board. Haven’t looked into this myself (yet). If you do find anything out please post here.

biosregM-daveholland86.part1.rar (4 MB)

biosregM-daveholland86.part2.rar (2.04 MB)

@kfxsti Here is your unlocked bios.

*** WARNING *** - This BIOS is user specific! If you are not user kfxsti at Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!

IMHO CPU/GPU cooling issues in laptops have more to do with lack of proper alignment and pressure of heatsinks and CPU/GPU than the actual paste used. Out of curiousity: what fan speeds are you getting when on max fan settings?

biosregM-kfxsti.part1.rar (4 MB)

biosregM-kfxsti.part2.rar (2.03 MB)

@nickobar , is there no RU required to flash the modded bios in this?

I dealt with the mounting pressures alot with the Clevo laptops I played around with. It’s alot harder to shim one of these thin heatsinks vs how easy it was for the clevos lol
I’ll look at the fan speeds and report back

@daveholland86 Hi. I should have been more explicit with my instructions. I imagined you’d read about the process since you uploaded your bios dump.

Let me start from the beginning. You begin with unmodified stock bios. Disable passwords/encryption and safe boot. The later is accomplished in this bios by the option ‘Delete all secure boot keys’. This also places the bios into Setup mode. Now you follow Steps #1 & #2 described in the spoiler ‘Dump BIOS Region with FPT’ here. You will be using Intel CSME System Tools v14.0.20+ r14 (as of this writing, it’s updated regularly) for your laptop.

You keep the bios dump from Step #1 in several safe places (and away from the laptop) in case you want to revert back to stock bios. When you try to execute Step #2, I expect you to get Error 167, because by default writing to Protected Range Registers is disabled (aka BIOS Lock enabled). You should see something similar to the screenshot attached in this post.

Next you follow instructions to use RU in this message to remove BIOS Lock. Your BIOS Lock variable is the same: it’s in PchSetup GUID (4570B7F1-ADE8-4943-8DC3-406472842384) at offset 0x17.

It is my understanding that the biosreg.bin you uploaded is from the Step #1 above. If this is NOT the case i.e. you had safe boot/password/encryption etc enabled, then we have to start afresh. Once you remove BIOS Lock with RU, you flash mod bios in the command prompt with FPTw.exe -bios -f biosregM.bin

Edit: The mod bios I sent you does not change any variables, so if you flash mod bios made from the dump when BIOS Lock was enabled, it will be enabled again after the flash. Alternatively, you could upload a dump made after you have removed BIOS Lock with RU. If bios mod is made with that dump, it will have BIOS Lock disabled.

@kfxsti Please read the above to make sure we are on the same page.

So we need to post a dump of the bios after being unlocked with ru?

@kfxsti

I guess it would be safer that way. Just don’t make any other changes, only change BIOS Lock var from 01 to 00.