[Request] Gigabyte G5 KC Bios Unlock/ Mod

Hi @Sweet_Kitten , :cat2:

I have a Clevo NP70PNJ. Seem to be a NP5x_NP6x_NP7xPNK_PNH_PNJ series.

For the NP70PNJ, it features an Intel i7 12700H + RTX 3050, which is equivalent to a Gigabyte G7 GE based on the same Clevo platform and BIOS.

So, we’re dealing with Intel’s 12th generation.

:man_technologist: However, based on what I see in your script:

if (:NP) then { echo looks like device 12-th Gen CPU, which BIOS can not be modified all the way through automatically }

:speech_balloon: And especially based on these posts:

Post #311
Hello, I’m sorry to resurrect an old post, I wanted to know if it’s possible to use this Mod for G5 KE 12500h rtx 3060. I tried to use it but it says “You ought to flash the Mod manually by some SPI prog. tool”. All good? Thanks in advance.

Post #312
That’s right, for new Gigabyte laptops with 12 gen CPU, the script is only capable of generating a “MOD.bin” file.
Gigabyte G5 is a Clevo barebone device. And they don’t allow to install customized BIOS anymore. I think that some register of PCH (platform controller hub) blocks operations with SPI if the CPU is NOT in SMM state. There’s no solution to this yet unless you’re willing to help.

Post #330
Sorry, BIOS chip memory is not writable for these: G5 KF, G5 MF, G5 GE, G5 KE, G5 ME.
It seems like modifying the BIOS for Intel 12th generation is a dead end.

:heavy_check_mark: :one: In the case of Intel 12th gen, creating a backup of the current BIOS isn’t a problem: fptw… -d 𝗕𝗜𝗢𝗦.bin

:question: :two: Patching in *.txt format is a bit tricky, but it’s doable with HxD since similar patterns often recur: UEFIPatch… 𝗜𝗡.bin 𝘕𝘗.𝘵𝘹𝘵 -o 𝗠𝗢𝗗.bin But let be honest, I don’t kown where to start…

Picture Sample

:x: :three: However, I stumbled upon this while trying to flash a modified BIOS for microcodes: Microcode Update of Insyde UEFI BIOSes. It seems that the major issue is writing the modified BIOS: fptw… -f 𝗠𝗢𝗗.bin -bios in the case of the 12th generation CPUs?

Correct.

One guy today wrote that he was able to flash using fpt but ended up bricking his NP50RNx due to some mistake. Now I’m trying hard to get any details.
UPD: the guy lied.

1 Like

I will attempt rather naively to flash a isflash.bin MOD version, which is, in fact, an original isflash.bin but with updated microcodes (plus fixes for checksums in headers/data and fixes sizes) using H2OFFT-Wx64.exe

Picture

12-10-2023 à 20°43’57”

Because unlike FPTWxxx.exe, H2OFFT-Wx64.exe appears to have more workarounds (IHISI + SMI) for flashing a modified isflash.bin

If I succeed in flashing the modified isflash.bin with H2OFFT-Wx64.exe, it means that it might be possible to do the same with a SetupUtilityApp that you patch because in both cases, we are outside of BootGuard

However, this implies that applying *.TXT patches with UEFIPatch.exe in batch mode might be dead :cry: . We would need to be done manually in hexadecimal :confused:

The thing is, I don’t know how everyone here knows which hexadecimal values to change to modify options in a BIOS for example… :thinking:

It’s like you all read directly in binary files the way Neo reads the matrix! :alien::speech_balloon::robot:(★)

(★) EDIT : I think I find how you all find hexa vars to modify: LongSoft / IFRExtractor-RS

hello can you do this
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/BIOS/nb-bios-aero15-vd-win10-win11-64bit-fb08-fe08-ec-f006.zip?v=9b2337c6a93f8ce68fe7703ab6676bfc

But what is this model? Can’t find by filename.

@MLS.22 , I appreciate your offer, but this BIOS isn’t on the same Clevo platform or CPU generation.
However, it’s interesting to disassemble it for inspiration in modding.

@Sweet_Kitten : NP70PNJ . But can refered as ★NP5x_6x_7xPNK_J_H or ★NPxx**PN_KHJ or ★NPxxPNK_J_H or ★NPxxPNKJH or ★SCHENKER MEDIA 17 (M22) (ID: SME17M22) or ★Gigabyte G7 GE

Nonetheless, I was too focused on how to unlock/mod my BIOS when the question doesn’t apply.

Indeed, on the 12th generation Intel processors, especially the H-series CPUs, undervolting is physically impossible. It’s a hardware modification in the microprocessor’s construction.

Case closed. End of story.

Long explanation

In fact, this 12th generation processor model has an ‘Undervolt Protection’ that can only be (and very difficultly) unlocked on CPUs type K / X. :closed_lock_with_key:

For the 12th H-series family, it’s simply hardware-locked. :lock:

I contacted :e-mail: Intel to express my frustration :triumph: with their increasing tendency to lock down their systems. They responded that it’s a security measure :open_umbrella: due to the Plundervolt vulnerability :zap:, and also because most end-users tend to brick :brick: their hardware when undervolting.

If a hardware has overheating issues :hotsprings:, it’s not Intel’s fault, but rather the manufacturers putting a 12500H or 12700H into a 2cm-thick laptop; it’s a design flaw, and undervolting isn’t meant to compensate for the manufacturers’ design flaws they said.

:dart: A notable point found on Reddit: if Intel allows it in the HK’s type, what’s the difference in terms of vulnerability with an H or P? It’s seem to be the perfect excuse to force you to go for an HX processor :moneybag:

In short, the locking is hardware-based for the 12th-gen H version, regardless of the PC brand.

So, @Sweet_Kitten or @lfb6 can rightfully and logically close every kind of request about modding 12th not K/X :raised_hand:

So, regarding the BIOS for my Clevo NP70PNJ - 12700H - RTX 3050, I’ll have to settle with Intel ME updates (to address the vulnerabilities detected by Intel CSME Detection Tool) and microcode updates (to address CPU vulnerabilities).

For Intel ME, I found how to do it as seen here

For the microcodes, @lfb6 guided me step by step here (Kudo to him :kissing_heart:), and I have a BIOS with up-to-date microcodes ( :package:1 [5,23 Mo] ) that seems good.

But, still, due to the 12th-gen locking issues, it’s not as simple as flashing with a simple FTPW64.exe -d MODDED_BIOS.BIN -bios

However, I might have a solution:

My Clevo’s original BIOS ( :package:2 [27,5 Mo] ) is provided in three versions, NPx0PNx.12 , NPx0PNx12.efi , and NPx0PNx12.exe .

By dissecting the NPx0PNx12.exe , I can see that it uses H2OFFT-Wx64.exe to flash an isflash.bin containing the original BIOS (NPx0PNx.12) and it platform.ini.

NPx0PNx12.exe ➜ ( :package:3 [6,74 Mo] )
NPx0PNx12.exe extracted (with H2OFFT-Wx64.exe and original isflash.bin) ➜ ( :package:4 [7,28 Mo] )

My concern now is that I’ve created an isflash.bin with a modified BIOS and updated microcodes inside ( :package:5 [6,83 Mo] ). I can run H2OFFT-Wx64.exe, which finds and accepts my modified BIOS isflash.bin.

But I’m afraid to click “OK” :fearful:

Even though the microcodes are outside the BootGard area, I fear there might be another security mechanism, like a hash/salt/signature for the entire BIOS, and that in the next boot, those Intel folks might block everything before even loading the BIOS (because a different hash/salt/signature that would block/stop boot that I haven’t yet found)

I think I must use the official TOOL folder :hammer_and_wrench: (:package:6 [54,4 Mo] ) inside the original BIOS to packed something with complex signature like this :exploding_head::

I assume, he wants his bios unlocked.

It won’t flash. Update process is sequential.
H2OFFT might load your isflash.bin after great effort from your side to sign bios binary.
But due to mismatch of signatures the flash process will be interrupted.

I confirm, I have at first glance found multiples steps to validate a modified BIOS. But it’s not even guaranteed at this point…

ᴱᵈⁱᵗ ᴰᵉˡᵉᵗᵉ ᶠᵒʳ ˡᵉᵍᵃˡ ⁱˢˢᵘᵉ

yeah i need bios unlock

Detected AMI BIOS Guard (PFAT) protected image, prior extraction required!
Use "AMI BIOS Guard Extractor" from https://github.com/platomav/BIOSUtilities

@MLS.22 , try here : bios-mods.com

does anyone have a unlock bios for the gigabyte g5 gd ?

for disable svm ?

Hello Brother
Could you please help me? This is my Backup
I want to unlock my bios to Undervolt Cpu

Hello Sweet_Kitten,

I wanted to ask if you may can Unlock my Bios for my G5 MF if it is possible.

Specs you can find here: G5 (2023) Specification | Laptop - GIGABYTE Global

i hope you can help and my thanks in advance!

Hey, can anybody unlock Features of my G5 2023 KF BIOS? Version is FB09.
original BIOS download

Hi can i get not modded (or modded doesn’t matter) FB05 bios for my gigabyte g5 gd (i5 11th gen rtx 3050) cuz my fb10 is kinda laggy

@Sweet_Kitten
Would really appreciate if I could get unlocked BIOS for my G5 KC, Hope you are still active, Here is the files ready:

results20.rar

Have you tried the following?

It can unlock G5KC if the bios version is not too outdated (FB05 or later).

Good afternoon everyone, I can’t figure out how to update the bios on Gigabyte g5 kd. At the moment, I have the bios version fb01, and in order to modify the bios, I need fb05. And another question, do I need to update the microcontroller? When I downloaded bios from the official website, there are two folders bios itself and EC FB12

I need help, I would like to get an unlocked bios so that I cant customize my laptops settings better

I unlocked the bios and enabled the display of secure devices, but the settings still do not want to be applied. Timings do not change