[REQUEST] & [HELP] MSI PE70-6QE BIOS mod via CH341A

Hey!

Both BIOS make these settings disappear.

Thanks!

So, to confirm then, only this one made it show up correct? >> UserDSetO
I hoped one of the others would work too, easier on me that way, but no big deal
At Advanced >> Overclocking Performance Menu >> Enabled << Set enabled, and show me what all you see inside there then (in each submenu too)

Yes, but i have not tried these:

4. UserDSetBCPU
5. UserDSetBCPS

Sorry for the delay, I flashed the wrong BIOS and then started to looking for the right one, also sorry I missed the fact more options are available after you enable the OC menu. I also compressed the photos because their size was way too big, I guess I should adjust my camera,

Photos here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8lcd89p0xo…ssjpeg.zip/file

Note that the last submenus refer to the same thing

By the way, I am not planning on OCing this system under any circumstance, I find it too dangerous with its current cooling system, plus toying with the unlocked advanced CPU settings is more than enough for me, are you sure you want to continue to work and unfold this area?

Thanks again!

As mentioned at post #40, please test those two BIOS you mentioned above, and then tell me outcome on what I asked in #40
These are unrelated test to anything CPU related. What is the above 30MB image package??

Even if you don’t want to overclock, full access to all the settings may help you get things going the way you want, many options in there adjust how CPU speeds can fluctuate based on power draw and or temps too, so it’s not just the 2-3 settings we’ve been mentioning here recently.

OK, so I tested the last two as well, so taking them from the start:

1. UserDSetO - Save as User Defaults and Restore User Defaults are available (as mentioned previously, did not reflash)
2. UserDBCPU - No change (as mentioned in #41, did not reflash)
3. UserDBCPS - No change (as mentioned in #41, did not reflash)
4. UserDSetBCPU - Save as User Defaults and Restore User Defaults are available
5. UserDSetBCPS - Save as User Defaults and Restore User Defaults are available

The zip package on #43 relates to pictures regarding this:

Ah, I see! OK sounds great!

Thanks again!

@Fabulist - Almost done, but one more question before I send you another BIOS - At Advanced >> CPU Config >> Package C State Limit >> Setting << What is max C state shown there, C0/C1>> Through to what Cx, does it stop and C7, C8, C9, or C10?
I think this would be a good setting for you to tinker with, C States enabled, but then test setting this to C1, C3, Cx and see how this affects your min/max/idle CPU speeds, because I know on some CPU Turbo types, C3 has to be enabled for turbo to work properly, but others can be disabled.

I would play around with the C states if I could for sure.

OK, by default the BIOS allows to disable or enable "CPU C States" without specifying. I also see, in your BIOS, C3, C6, C7, C8, C9, C10 state being supported in Advanced.

Now, on what you asked: Advanced >> CPU Config >> Package C State Limit >> I get C0/C1, C2, C3, C6, C7, C7s, C8, C9, C10.

Thanks!!

You will be able to shortly Actually, you can now per the above mentioned settings you can see.

Great, thanks for answer, I just wanted to make sure you had the one that showed C0-C10, there is 2-3 of the same setting possible there and some have less.

New BIOS coming in a few

Sounds awesome!!! Cannot wait! I have not tried testing because it requires reinstalling the Dragon Center, so I was waiting for the finalized or close to finalized version!

Did you solve the vBIOS issues after all, will you be able to update that as well?

Thanks!

Here is final menu edit BIOS, hopefully I got it all, and remembered to keep all previous edits too (I had good base set aside with previous edits, so should be all OK)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…921099575255708

Dragon Center should not be required for any of this (as a general thing). And that is the goal anyway, so I would remove it and leave it, then figure things out without it.
And, due to some of what you mentioned, I suggest using some total uninstaller (off top of head example, there are many) or other similar uninstaller to remove it fully so nothing left in registry as that may be what’s locking things up and making it seem like it needs to be installed for stuff to work.
To use one of those kind of programs, you’d need to install it first, reboot and then use that program to uninstall it.

vBIOS and GOP were already updated, and tested/working by you, just GOP/VBT not updated to latest, vBIOS is now latest version.
SoniX did put out an update yesterday regarding this with UBU, but I don’t know the exact changes made there and or if VBT needs manually updated using Intel BMP tool too or not, you’d have to ask him.
We can try another one updated to max by UBU if you want? I checked previously with UBU v1_75_0_1 and it didn’t even update VBT only GOP, and I think leaving VBT at current and updating GOP to max always breaks display, but I am not certain.
I just checked with updated v1.75.1 today’s version and same, GOP is updated VBT left as-is, but it may be doing something different, if you want to test it you can try UBU edit yourself, latest link is here in last post - [Tool Guide+News] “UEFI BIOS Updater” (UBU) (2)

In the ones I made for you previously I updated VBT manually with Intel BMP program and then inserted GOP/VBT manually, but we also tried a few combo’s of VBT update or not with GOP max or not, no VBT update and GOP only etc.
But there is tons of combos to try there between stock version VBT/GOP and latest, so I thought maybe best to update only to known compatible GOP with current stock VBT and that you tested as was OK (was my base from then on out)

This sounds great! There are hundends of settings here, crazy! All these work? I see things I have never seen before!

Also, one issue I found is that “Save chnages and Reset” does nothing, it just stays where it is.

Dragon Center is unfortunately a necessary evil, not only it will OC via its “Sport” mode past the maximum clock Intel’s default clock is for this CPU, it will also control CPU and GPU fans. I would like to toy around to get rid of its throttles and custom OC, make something more stable, but to completely get rid of it is something that I cannot see how due to the fan control. I was also planning a fresh install some time soon, but as far as I remember in past fresh installs there was no difference between having Dragon Center not installed at all from fresh and uninstalling it from Windows, seems to not leave something bad behind besides the usual garbage.

Sure, I can give it a try via UBU as well and see how it goes sometime in the future, you provided me with all I need to recover now, but if the version you selected is what you believe is the best due to compatibility issues then I see no reason to change it. As you said, we tried a myriad of BIOS, so if we cannot go to the latest version we can’t!

Alright, I see, I am just confused because it seems like the vBIOS update is not just one thing, but a collection of parts combined, I am just trying to understand the things that did get updated and the things that did not. I think I do now, thanks!

Regardless of how this goes and if we will need another update in case something does not work, I would like to say; thank you for your time and thank you for the kindness you have shown me in a multitude of aspects. You helped a stranger you never talked to before begging for your help without hesitation, saved me from a problem I created, saved me the laptop since a new motherboard would be too expensive for me to get at this time as nobody seemed to have the knowledge to fix it like you did, showed knowledge and technical efficacy and not only computer service people did not have, not even MSI’s official support center had, and even took your time to go through step by step with me to not explain to me what you are doing but also teach me to do it myself.

A big thank you sir, I have seen a lot of kindness (and evil unfortunately) going around in the internet that relate to technology and PCs, but so much kindness and focus on a single person I have seen first time in the last 20 years I remember. Hope you will always be well and may you find whatever fulfillment you seek in life!

EDIT: Also, I see a duplicate (Intel Virtualization Technology, Intel SpeedStep, and CPU C States, I do not know if you fixed this yet, but just in case I mention it as information).

Right! I left a few hidden, but not many, I don’t know why they hide all this from users, even desktops have all that hidden too and sometimes more.

Yes, all “Should” work, however some may be bugged as you noted with the Save Changes and Reset. If that was visible in BIOS someone would have reported that issue long ago and they would fix, but since it’s hidden they probably didn’t notice.
I will remove that and leave the Save changes and exit, exit/reset similar anyway, I almost just left the exits only. Sorry, I did forget about the dupes, and plus to get rid of them all I need know which you’d like to see removed.
Or better, please list the dupes you see and their locations and tell me which you want left in place, that way you choose their location.
It may be easier to leave the original in place, if you are seeing some dupe of something I revealed that was already visible previously, if any are this case and you don’t care, please let me know "This was originally visible, and it’s location was here"

I do get what you mean about the OC center, but maybe you could try with it fully removed as I mentioned until you can figure out the CPU stuff, then later reinstall it for the fan control? Or maybe that would be something you can try later on sometime?
Link me to the version you are using, so I can dissect it and see if I can find anything about possibly disabling it’s CPU control aspect.

Yes, graphics has three components in the BIOS, there is vBIOS, VBT, and GOP. I updated vBIOS in two locations (dupe copy) and GOP, VBT left as it was at 203.
To see what all is updated you can run stock BIOS through UBU, once it’s done leave window open, delete TMP folder, CMSCore, FITbackup, and then BIOS.bin and original BIOS.
Then put in mod BIOS and make new UBU run beside that orginal another instance so you can compare that last screen side by side.
If you need me to do all this for you into a single image I can, I usually do but we’ve done so many BIOS and different updates here I never made a final package really.
Actually, if you want to wait, I’ll make you a version change image and txt change log too, when I correct these final BIOS menu items. If you want to gander first anyway, it’s all here how to now

To check microcode versions you can drag/drop each BIOS on MC Analyzer (Open EXE, then drop BIOS file into the CMD Window, or drag/drop on the exe itself) - https://github.com/platomav/MCExtractor/…1.38.0_r127.rar
Main page for info - https://github.com/platomav/MCExtractor

To see ME FW versions you can drag and drop each on ME Analyzer (Same as above) - https://github.com/platomav/MEAnalyzer/r…ag/v1.96.4-r177
Main page for info - https://github.com/platomav/MEAnalyzer

You are very welcome, and thank you for all the appreciation you’ve given my way as we worked all this out!
I really appreciate your thoughts and comments on my expertise as well, hopefully others will see this later at times and know I am the one who can probably help save them from the headaches and hassles of trying to have someone else fix it.
Evil in the internet around tech and PC’s? What and where is this? Shame!!!

I actually see more options available than most high-end desktop motherboards, it is crazy! And the ability to disable the quiet BIOS boot, so you do not have to see the “MSI” logo rather the BIOS directly is awesome!

OK, great, as for the duplicates I do not mind them being there if it is OK for them to be there, so do not go through the trouble of removing them if it works as is! The duplicates are Intel Virtualization Technology, Intel SpeedStep, and CPU C States as far as I can see, but as I said, if it works it is great as it is, no need to hassle as I really do not mind!

This is the Dragon Center version I am using: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Syst…on-Center.shtml I think it includes two versions, depending on the laptop, the one getting installed in my PC is 1.2.1804.1201, which is an old version, but MSI trashed support for my laptop almost a year later and newer versions are not compatible…

What I noticed after toying around with the C States is that I do get mildly stabler OC from the Dragon Center (with enhanced C states and demotion off), but the throttling is still there. However, I do think the Dragon center is the best option - I am saying this because I was unable to OC the CPU to a different ratio after I uninstalled the Dragon Center, the CPU insists on running @ 3.1GHz (Intel’s default maximum). I tried nearly all BIOS settings, but as far as I can tell in comparison to desktop OCing I am not allowed to force or define a ratio, min or max, only define maximum turbo ratios, which should in theory work, but for some reason they are ignored (I tried from the advanced settings, overclock settings, and both together).

No it is OK do not go through any more vBIOS trouble, I checked with UBU too and it does seem updated, if you updated and think it is OK, it is OK for me too, just wanted to confirm!

Thanks, I checked ME/Microcode/etc. versions, everything seems great, I was just unable to confirm vBIOS versions, because I simply do not really understand it!

Yes, nothing better than having all this help someone else in some way in the future! There are evil people, not evil tech!

OK, so do I wait for you to optimize “Save Changes and Reset”? Do you want me to check something else that could have some issue or are we with the final version after you fix this?

Also, let me note that saving and exiting via the F keys works, the page just does not work when you press “Enter”.

Thanks again!

EDIT: In the OverClock settings I get the option of “Max ring OC ratio” and “Min ring OC ratio”. However, for the cores, I only get “Max core OC ratio”, is there no min to define for this option? If I had one, I could possibly lock all cores to a specific frequency and get rid of a multitude of issues.

EDIT2: Also, under “Trusted Computing” in the “Security” tab, I do not get the TPM report anymore, I am informed that “NO Security Device Found” under the “Enabled” or “Disabled” setting, which also changes nothing.

Most desktops also have all those settings too, probably more, but also generally there is a lot hidden in most of those BIOS too. If you don’t like to use quiet boot, we can change that logo for you so you don’t have to see the MSI one (we can put whatever you want in place of that)

On the dupes, it’s OK they are there, but for cleanliness we’ll get it all removed - BIOS to follow below so we can get started on that. Since I plan to remove the original settings of some of those so all the settings are now in the new reveled menu together I need you to test a few things before I do the actual edit.

Thanks for the Dragon Center link and info, I will look into that once time permits again.
Yes, I updated vBIOS to max latest and GOP to max that may be compatible with the current vBT. Actual vBIOS version is shown in UBU, you can look at before/original vs the BIOS I sent you and see the version change (same for GOP)

I will remove the Save Changes and Reset once I do this final dupe removal BIOS. On TPM, I’ve not touched this, ever actually, but I think I did switch security tabs for you (not sure). Are you loading Optimal defaults still after each flash?
Were you able to use TPM when you noticed it previously? This requires a chip on the board, so it may or may not have ever functioned despite what you see in the BIOS, this is why I ask.

Please test, which BIOS removes the “Original” C States (the one by itself, without additional C State settings beneath it)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…586583736034789

No no, it is great as it is, I can disable quiet boot and have AMI’s logo appear, love it!

It is OK, if it works like this I have no issue leaving them be, no need to waste your time in it, but it is your call!

Great, may I report that after tweaking C states the CPU does not downclock as often, OCes slightly higher and the system works better overall (no random slowdowns, better performance on high load) - which is amazing!

What do you mean remove them, not have these options at all? Sounds good, since I can save and do everything with the F keys. As for the TPM, one of your first BIOS enabled it, and yes, it was discovered in Windows and was reported as available, I did not actually try to have Windows’s Bitlocker on it, but it did get reported in the Device Manager, I did get a report of it in BIOS etc. Now, I do not.

Do you still want me to try to flash these BIOS and go through removing the dupes? Also, should I try via the CH341A or Intel’s?

Thanks again!

OK, well we can change any logos you want, so you know. It’s not a waste of my time to change, as I mentioned always, I enjoy doing this kind of stuff.

Great to hear you’ve found some improved CPU performance and functionality more like what you wanted now that you’ve tweaked the settings and played around a bit.

On remove, I mean I sent you BIOS to test which of those remove the setting mentioned at the location mentioned (so I can remove the dupes for you). Yes, you will have the options once I am done, just not the dupes anymore since you wanted them removed.

Bitlocker works with or without TPM I believe, so not sure that would be valid method to test. however, I can make any setting visible to you in BIOS, so if TPM is still missing once we are done I can put back
As mentioned, I never directly touched this, but may have enabled a security page for you before that isn’t now, ie switched hidden vs current, and then switched back or forgot to switch again etc. We can fix though

You can flash those test BIOS via FPT >> FPTw.exe -bios -f filename.bin
They are only meant to tell me which one removes the only setting I mentioned above, please test all three and let me know outcome of each one

Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

Yes! Things improved more than marginally, and temps are also better, which I cannot explain considering I have monitored and observed consistently higher clocks!

I understand! I just do not mind the dupes, that is what I meant!

I know, but Bitlocker does not unless forced via Windows policy without a TPM. I can see the TPM on these BIOS now, and I do get the report page properly now, did you change anything?

CTest0A8200 is the only BIOS that makes the C-states disappear from the initial page, as they appear on the default BIOS.

Thanks again!

Good to hear the temps have improved too! Maybe due to you cleaning out the fans or re-pasting the heatsink?

Well the only reason I wanted to remove the dupes is because you kept mentioning it, as if you were bothers by them, and I thought you asked me to fix that too once or twice.

No, I didn’t change anything in the BIOS I sent you for testing, only few bytes in different ways to see which would hide the original C-State setting.
As I mentioned, I never did anything to TPM settings, in any BIOS. Not sure why that would show up for you sometimes but not others, unless maybe it’s due to loading of defaults vs not, or something like that?

Thanks for test report, now I can remove the dupes for you, BIOS coming shortly (May be edited into this post if I can get into it here in next few minutes)

* Edit - @Fabulist - Here is dupes removed BIOS @ Intel Virtualization Technology, Intel SpeedStep, Hyper-threading, and CPU C States
I went ahead and removed all the original ones, so the only CPU related setting like these left outside of the new CPU config page will be the original VT-d setting, since it didn’t have a dupe in the hidden CPU config page
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…376747297022348

I did not clean anything or re-paste anything, I already had it dusted some weeks before this whole thing started, so I do not know how to explain this!

No! I asked about this to verify there is no technical issue about it, or some bug, I did mean it when I said I did not mind them and to not bother with them!!

I will try to play around with the settings and try to figure out when TPM disappears and when it does not and report back to you.

OK, let me note that I still get the “GbE Region does not exist” in those flashes, I forgot to mention this, you also mentioned that there is some kind of check you wanted to do regarding Management Engine (you waited for plutomaniac to cross-reference with another thread?), is there something I can help with via testing?

Also, some of the dupes, such as Speedstep, Intel Virtualization technology, and Hyper-threading did not disappear, instead they are grayed out and unselectable, as if they are there to give a report, but not to work as a switch themselves. https://imgur.com/a/RiUVZtV

Lastly, on the “Save & Exit” tab, only “Load Setup Defaults” is working, the other options are selectable but pressing enter does nothing.

Thanks!

I thought you put on new paste, must have been thinking of another user So it must be the C state settings then, or the now enabled power settings possibly.

It’s OK about the dupes, it’s cleaner to get them removed anyway, but yes as I mentioned it’s OK to have them there too since you can’t set them differently anyway

GbE is Intel Gigabit Ethernet, and this is message that this region of BIOS is missing/not there, your system doesn’t have this so you will always see that message, you can ignore this and any PDR message too
The ME stuff I was waiting on plutomaniac to check into on the other thread will have to wait a while, unless he’s replied again there and I haven’t read it yet. He’s leaving for a long time here in next day or two

Thanks for report back I assumed all would disappear same way as the C State did, I’ll have to make you new BIOS to remove them, thanks for image I’ll check that and get back into the BIOS now
And thanks for reminder about Save and exit! I forgot all about that, and knew I was forgetting something (need to remove the Save and reset) - then you test again on this, as it may be causing the issues you are having now.
Save as user default you wouldn’t see any changes, only it would save current settings and then if you changed something, and then “apply user defaults” it would change it back to whatever you saved as default instead.

Looking back into BIOS now, please wait. * Edit - I see what happened, I left gray out and enabled it, instead of change gray to suppress and enable! Sorry about that, easy fix there, give me a sec

* Edit 2 - “Save Changes and reset” was one of the originally visible settings, and I think I edited it on accident while enabling the rest, set it back to default now so it should be working.
Here is new test BIOS, dupes should be fixed and Save/Reset back to stock
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…768921377989296