[Request] Lenovo Legion T730-28ICO Bios settings locked down

First, try setting Overclocking Feature I mentioned above to Enabled. Then set Memory Profile to Custom.
Then set 1.35v, set NMode to 1N, set Command rate Support below that to 1CMD. 2T CMD Rate (NMode) is OK to use too, not as good for performance and can sometimes be less stable, but it should be OK and you can do that last if needed)
Then set timings to 18-20-20-20-42 for now, loose, so we can see if timings are part of the issue. Once you get it booting, you can try to lower later
Then with Memory Reference Clock set to 133 (default) set Memory Ratio to 24 = 3200, and see if it will boot
If not, try all of the above same again, except set Memory Reference clock to 100 and try Memory Ratio 30, then 31 and see if either of those boot.
If not still, then go back to 133 Reference clock and try memory ratio 23 for 3060 and see if that boots or not,. if not try next one down for 2933, then 2800 etc and so on until you can boot.

For this speed and 16GB memory, you may need to adjust vCCSA in Platform Voltage Overrides, try 1100-1200 (Default 1050 / 1.05v)

tRFC may need set 600+ too, I’m not sure what is needed for 32GB at 3000+, but with 16GB on my end I use 500+ at 2800Mhz, so you may need 600-800 or more (max on your BIOS is 1000+ I think)
tFAW and tRRD might also need raised manually, if Auto is setting them too tight. Once you get something higher booting, 2400-2800 or above, show me image of full timings in HWINFO64 in the large window/memory section (just click memory, not a module), or AIDA64 Chipset/NB

In the end, if may be some memory compatibility issue, or BIOS not optimized for this memory or such high clock speeds etc.

Where are you checking the voltage applied? If you cannot see live memory voltage in BIOS somewhere, you’ll have to use HWINFO64 (click sensors icon at top, then find DDR voltage towards bottom) or AIDA64 (in the Computer >> Sensor Section)

The overclocking feature is on by default, ill try the settings you posted, been using the intel extreme tuning utility to see voltage

I’m not familiar with XTU, are you sure it shows current voltages (not SPD/XMP voltage set amount)? If you are not certain, try lowering the voltage below what you are seeing locked as max, and see if it changes or not.

* you may need to leave Command rate Support at 3CMD’s, I’m not 100% sure what that is looking at it now and seeing it in other BIOS at 3 for default too (not same as actual CMD rate I think, especially in your BIOS that is NMode)

Im thinking the issue may be the motherboard sucks lol, usually z370 boards can handle pretty high clocked ram. However aida 64 shows this board only supports up to 2667. So i tried mimicking the rams settings that came with this PC, then tightening the timings and it works no problem. Currently running at 2667 15-17-17-34

That is standard stuff, like Intel shows CPU can only run 2133 or 2666 too, when you know they can do 3333+. Where is AIDA64 do you see that anyway?? I’ll show you what mine says, right next to much higher freq being ran
Nice you’ve made some progress, 2666 with tight timings may perform better than higher speed with loose timings, but keep trying so you can compare, maybe you’ll get 2800 or 2933 going.
Sometimes CPU is the issue, some CPU wont do high clocks, or don’t like certain things. For example, mine seems to hate 3000 exact, but does 2933 or 3200 or above just fine.

Keep tinkering, you will find a sweet spot as time permits. I’m in same boat as you, I still need to improve mine too!
I got new CPU/Memory a few weeks back, but haven’t had time and just been running 2933 16-18-18-38 while I wait to crank it up to 3200 or above, and then tighten down slow speed so I can compare too.

Yeah, its just super tedious because my video card blocks my cmos battery, so i have to take it out every time it fails haha. currently running at 2667 15-15-15 34. the thing i dont understand is why my board hates it if I try to turn the voltage up, that seems to be where it has an issue. It never lets me raise the voltage above 1.2. So ive been trying to squeeze the best performance out of 1.2 haha. Currently running at 15-15-15-34, on the aida64 memory latency benchmark im getting 54.2

Do you have clear CMOS pins/jumper? If yes, you could hook case “Reset” switch to Clear CMOS Pins instead, this is what I always do
If you do that, you have to remember not to use the reset button unless you want to clear CMOS.

So, nothing above 1.2 works? What happens, how does that look in BIOS when you set say 1.3 for example?

Thats a good idea lol, i just go back into the bios and its set back to 1.2

You’re welcome

No, I mean, about the voltage. Can you set 1.3 and it stays set at 1.3 right then (Doesn’t auto-change before reboot)? And then on reboot back to BIOS, it’s then set to 1.2V automatically again?

If yes, then go to here and try this >> CPU Configuration >> Voltage Optimization >> Set to Disable
Then save/reboot back to BIOS, then change to 1.3 and try again, see if it changes or not

If not, and you know 100% what voltage you want, I can force it for you in NVRAM, but you’d have to program in the BIOS again since we didn’t beat error 368 first time around

Yeah, with that setting off it still wont apply any voltage changes. When you go back into BIOS its still set to 1.2 no matter what voltage you try to change it to

Then we’d have to change it in a NVRAM edit. If you want to dump chip and send me the dump and tell me what voltage you want, I’ll edit then you program once more, we can do it’ just be sure you pick the voltage you want to stick with or you’ll have to do it all again.

Im not sure haha, I was thinking 1.35 because thats what the xmp profile was supposed to use, and then just tighten the timings - but im new to this :-p , are we sure theres not another voltage setting thats preventing me from changing the voltage? no other overrides. theres offsets, dont really know what those do haha, it keeps all the other settings just not voltage

Offsets are used with “Auto” voltage, you set auto and then use offsets + or - to increase/decrease how much auto uses on the fly
I don’t think there is anything else stopping you from being able to use more than 1.2, I checked all BIOS settings and other than what I mentioned nothing caught my eye.

Do you have “Custom” profile set, or XMP? Set Custom if you want to set voltage manually, that would be the norm
However in this instance maybe try XMP enabled but then manually set all timings and speed you are using now (if it will let you, it should), and then see what auto voltage applies, then come back and try to set manually again.

We can hard set 1.35V if you want, all up to you.

Im not sure it will let me adjust settings with xmp selected, any time ive tried xmp it doesn’t post and gets a corrupt memory beep code, ill double check

EDIT* yeah when i select xmp it doesnt show the changes its going to make and greys everything out, the one thing i dont understand is it has the option for voltage there, but then at the bottom there is a greyed out option called VDD, isnt that also the voltage?

79345447_614518462691188_4200814204053094400_n.jpg

79701914_989267304805151_8985520574818156544_n.jpg

Set XMP, then also set all items you’ve been setting manually still manually as well. Sometimes you can’t they get grayed out, but not always.

Raise tFAW to 31, that may help you get higher than 2666

Vdd could be anything, that’s used as a generic voltage usually in a label such as CPU Vdd, NB Vdd etc. It may be chipset voltage here (VCCSA) since it’s memory related and this is generally set/raised for higher memory speeds like you’d use in an XMP profile.
Where you see that, it’s only a textual entry, to show you voltage amount set/applied/live etc. I see this in string of your BIOS for the Memory Voltage Override (Vddq). Default = no override, so that VDD is probably to show the VDD memory voltage (ie current voltage, or voltage to be applied from XMP etc)
Maybe, when you choose XMP, it’s not compatible, or not picking the correct profile (since you memory has large number of profiles there. Best we do manually as you have been probably, just can’t figure out why you can’t set the voltage manually properly!?!?!

I looked all through it again and don’t see anything that should be stropping you from raising it. All I know is we can force it higher if you want with another programmed in BIOS.

Does it act the same, if you use 100 reference clock instead of 133? I know you may not be able to get same exact speeds, but do some tests with that too, in case it’s some bug with the 133 option.

Ill try tonight, sorry was gone for the weekend then caught a stomach flu D:

EDIT*

Nah still no go, i was able to get it over 2800 with 100 and changing the multiplier, but if i set xmp profile it crashes, and no matter what i do it wont keep a voltage change. seems like it will let me change the multiplier no prob im assuming it can just only go so far without increased voltage? Weird that it gets a beep code when you apply XMP profiles, ive had that a couple times when tinkering with settings but the majority of the time it just , restarts a couple times and reverts the changes to default. one thing i noticed when i tried to do setting similar to XMP profile, it reverted the voltage to 1.2 and also lowered the tWTR_L and tWTR_S, not sure if that means anything? Once my wife is off her PC ill get you another BIOS dump unless you have any other ideas

Here’s the bios dump, set it to 1.4v? give us some wiggle room?

Legiontestbios1.rar (5.27 MB)

XMP may be designed for another chipset, or is trying to change bclk or some other timing else that system doesn’t like, it’s hard to say. Did you try XMP with both 100 and 133 reference clock set?
XMP may be failing if it’s trying to set 100 reference clock x 32, since that is not possible on this system. So that could be why the error every time.

Are you sure 1.4V? It would be hard set there, are you sure that’s not too high? I haven’t kept up with DDR4 lately, but I always assumed 1.2 standard, 1.3-1.35 was pushing it with 1.35 being deep end of OC territory and may not be safe using much above that for daily use.
That’s just what I had in mind though, this is not based on anything I’ve read or heard that should be respected with any authority

ive read with good cooling b die can handle 1.5v daily, but yeah we can do 1.35, i was just thinking just incase lol but better be safe then sorry

It’s not about what the memory can handle, it’s what will or wont fry the memory controller in the CPU that I was concerned about.
Yeah, lets do 1.35 for now, and then if it works and you feel you still need 1.4 then we can do that. But, before we do, I just realized you never answered or showed me, what I asked in post #21 last comment

Where are you checking the voltage applied? If you cannot see live memory voltage in BIOS somewhere, you’ll have to use HWINFO64 (click sensors icon at top, then find DDR voltage towards bottom) or AIDA64 (in the Computer >> Sensor Section)
What you see in BIOS may not be actual/applied, best to confirm in windows. And do that confirm by lowering it in BIOS, to see that it doesn’t remain at 1.2 or whatever you see with stock/auto/1.2 set.