[Request] TRIM in RAID0 for the Asus Rampage II Extreme Bios 2101

Thank you for your attention.

1. windows 7 64 and windows 8 64.
2. intel x58 ich10r
3. a lot of them… : ) almost everything I find here for ich10r, and the latest intel drivers and the drivers from asus page here

note: i tried to load windos on ahci configuration, not raid, and with the same result like raid configuration: windows load in long time and keep to ask for driver finaly.
I tried to make raid from 2 ssd corsair force gt 60.

Thank youuu!

@ constantindan:
Thanks for having answered my questions.
Here is my comment:

A. OS installation in AHCI mode:
If you want to install Win7 x64 or Win8 x64 in AHCI mode, there is no need to load any F6 driver, because both Operating Systems have an appropriate AHCI driver, which do fully support your Intel SATA AHCI Controller, but this will only work, if
a) the Intel SATA Controller has been set before to “AHCI” mode and
b) the HDD/SSD, where you want to get the OS installed, is not member of a RAID array.
I suspect, that you had successfully created a RAID0 array with both SSDs as members and didn’t break the array, before you tried to install the OS onto one of the RAID array members in AHCI mode. This doesn’t work!

If you want to install any OS onto one of your 2 SSDs in AHCI mode, you have to do the following:
1. Enter the BIOS and set the RAID Controller to “RAID” > Reboot
2. Enter the Intel RAID Utility by hitting CTRL+I and delete the RAID array > Reboot
3. Enter the BIOS again and set the Intel SATA Controller to “AHCI” mode > Reboot.
4. Boot off the DVD/USB Flash Drive with the OS image and install the OS onto any of your SSDs.

B. OS installation onto the already existing RAID0 array:
Even in this case you don’t need to load any special RAID driver to get the RAID array detected by the OS Setup. Win7 x64 and Win8 x64 have an in-box Intel RAID driver, which is able to manage the OS installation onto your RAID array.
Precondition: The RAID0 array has been properly created and is shown by the RAID Utility as bootable.
Generally I recommend to unplug all drives except the RAID0 members and the drive containing the OS installation media, before you start with the OS installation.
Once the OS installation has been successfully completed, you should do the following:
1. Install .NET Framework .NET 3.5 (Control Panel > Programs > Add Windows Features). This program is required for the installation of the RST Software.
2. Install the Intel RST Drivers & Software Set of your choice (I recommend to take the v11.2.0.1006 WHQL Set).

Good luck!

Fernando,

Thank you for doing this BIOS mod for the R2E!

I have two machines with this board and still after all these years they are running great!

Now they are old of course but I was considering to upgrade them a bit with a new SSD and maybe even a better CPU. This generation intel CPUs (Core i7-9xx and Xeon W36xx fitting socket 1366) are dirt cheap on ebay but still performs extremely well considering their age.

So I am considering using this moded BIOS 2101 (I found in this tread here: http://1drv.ms/P7Bwnq) to refresh these 2 machines but before I do I have a couple of questions and i would be greatfull if you could please answer them:
1. does this moded BIOS support large SSDs and HDs - like 4 TB ?
2. does this moded BIOS support RAID 0 SSDs with TRIM?
3. does this moded BIOS support the Xeon W3690, W3680 CPUs (that fit this socket I know the R3E works with these Xeon CPUS) as well?
I know the official ASUS BIOS 2101 support the Core i7 990X and 980X, but ASUS does not list the Xeons as supported like they do with R3E.
4. If this moded BIOS support the xeon CPUs Xeon W3690, are they unlocked for OCing like the 980X, 990X are?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention!

Also I should add:
- OS is Windows 10 64bit

@build4fun :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Since it is a very long time ago, that I have modded the related BIOS, I do not remember its content and supported features.
So I can only answer your 2nd question. Provided, that I had inserted a TRIM in RAID0 modded Intel RAID ROM, the answer is: Yes!
I recommend to post your other questions within >this< Sub-Forum. Maybe anyone among our BIOS Gurus know the answers.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando,
I’ve a request for help.
I’ve a computer with this motherboard. It worked great by all years, but my 1GB hard drives started fail. So I made a decision to replace them to new 4TB.
It turned out that the disks are not properly recognized by BIOS in RAID mode.
I found that your modification is a cure for my problem - but unfortunately I can’t download a file with your modified BIOS 2101 from nowhere (link http://1drv.ms/P7Bwnq doesn’t work).
Can you re-upload this BIOS somewhere and give me a link?
I would be very grateful.

Regards!

@Artur :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The link to the modded BIOS, which I had linked in 2014, doesn’t work anymore, because I have removed the source file from my OneDrive account a long time ago.
So you will have to modify the BIOS yourself.
The related guides and various Intel RAID ROM modules with TRIM in RAID0 support are available within this Forum.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I downloaded Fernando Modded Bios 2101 BIOS from this site a while back when it was there.

I’ve put it on mega: https://mega.nz/#!bso2CKjS!pmyNG6yDpVa61…hGkJduj1v9sTAes

However, I have NOT installed it on my R2E so you are going to use it at your own risk. In other words do not blame me if it does not work or bricks your MB :slight_smile:

Please let me know if it works fine or not. I got 2 of the R2E and they both work fine still today (on ASUS official 2101 BIOS) :slight_smile:

Hello,

unfortunelly raid from link from build4fun doesn’t work at RAID mode. When I enable RAID in SATA configuration, Intel Raid Rom not shows.

I can’t find guides howto modify my BIOS myself. I’ve never done this before and I afraid to broke my motheboard.

Could you give me link to best guide and proper files?

Regards

That’s unfortunate!
Now I also need a working modded 2101 BIOS for R2E…

Fernando, we would appreciate your guidance to do this our selves.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards

You may have to hit Ctrl+I while booting.

The required BIOS modding tool depends on the architecture of your specific mainboard BIOS. You can find all guides within the "BIOS Modding" Sub-Forum.

EDIT:
Although I am currently making holidays, I have just downloaded the latest BIOS 2101 and checked its architecture. It is a simple AMI non-UEFI BIOS, which can easily been opened and modded by using the AMI non-UEFI MMTool v3.26. The related guide can be found >here<.

@Fernando ,
when Intel RAID is enabled usually it shows at computer start informations about detected drives and information "Press CTRL+I to…"
This informations are showing when computer start at original BIOS 2101

In the case of BIOS modded by you informations isn’t showing. Pressing CTRL+I not working too.

hello again,

I researched this a bit more since Spectre patching is an issue as well and found this posting on ROG.ASUS.com - an official ASUS site.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph…58-Motherboards
or try here if it does not work: https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-103862.html

Specifically they list a patched BIOS for R2E: here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tgsednwgyr…01-MOD.zip/file

These BIOSs are supposedly patched for Spectre (new microcode) AND with RAID 0 trim support. No idea what Intel RAID ROM version they are using, but it might be worth a try since it is from an ASUS site.

UPDATE:

A bit more research from the source of the Spectre patched BIOS which also handle RAID 0 with trim, I found a thread on TechPowerUp:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa…s.246101/page-7

This is the place to ask the author @Regeneration. There are also a few that have applied this R2E modded BIOS using his advice.

Good luck.

@Artur - after you flashed the BIOS, did you load optimal defaults, then enable RAID? If you don’t enable RAID those options wont appear and you can break your RAID array too, so don’t try to boot until you enable RAID

@Lost_N_BIOS - after flashing BIOS i load defaults values. I can’t find a way to load optimal values. This is important to use optimal not defaults?

@build4fun - I tried bios from rog.asus.com before I tried BIOS modded by Fernando. Bios from rog.asus.com using old Intel RAID BIOS, and disks in RAID are visible as 2TB not 4TB… But thanks for contact to @Regeneration - I will ask him.

Thanks for advance!

@Artur :
If you want, you can test the attached BIOS, which has been freshly modded by me yesterday.
The only thing I have done is the replacement of the Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.0.0.1038 by the TRIM in RAID0 modded Intel RST v10.1.0.1008.

This has nothing to do with the Intel RAID ROM module. Only Disk Drives, which are formatted by using the GuiMode Partition Table (instead of the Master Boot Record), are able to manage >2 TB sized drives.

RampageII-ASUS-Extreme-2101-modbyfern.rar (836 KB)

Thank you @Fernando !
I’ll test and inform!
Regards

@Fernando ,

Thank you!

I also have a few R2E’s that I need to mod to handle RAID0 and trim + overcome the Disk size limit + handle Spectre
From what I can read you have inserted the Intel RST v10.1.0.1008 which should overcome Disk size limit AND handle RAID 0 with trim, right?
I also understand it still contains all the original 2101 modules for JMicron storage controller (i do not use the JMicron so this does matter to me that much), the Intel ethernet controller (which I do use) and IEEE 1394 controller (which I still use).
However, from what I understand it does not cover Spectre vulnerabilities.

Assuming above to be the case, how easy would it be for me to use the Spectre patched BIOS for R2E: here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tgsednwgyr…01-MOD.zip/file and modify it with the “best” IRST to handle:
- Spectre;
- Disk size limit (allow 4TB+); and
- RAID 0 with trim (off of the ICH10R obviously)

Is this even the best way to go about it?

Thank you once again for all your dedication and hard work!

@build4fun :
1. The vulnerability of the Intel CPUs can be combated by different actions (update of the Intel Management Engine Firmware and/or update of the CPU microcode), but not by an update of any Intel RAID ROM module. The matching Sub-Forums can be found >here< and >here<.
2. AFAIK the 2 TB size limit of disk drives cannot be solved by an update of the BIOS, but only by a change of the partition scheme (GPT instead of MBR).

@Artur : @build4fun :
Since your requests have nothing to do with the topic “Intel AHCI/RAID Drivers”, I will move this thread into the “BIOS Modding” section of the Forum and give it a more meaningful title.

@Fernando ,

Thanks for your prompt response!
Makes sense what you wrote.

I still have the requirements:

• a. I want to patch the CPU microcode using the intel released micro codes for 106A5 and 206C2 (since my CPU is a w3690 it should work, right?).
  • b. enable RAID 0 with trim
  • c. enable full 4GB size disks

How do I go about achieving this? I have two choices:
  1. I can start with your latest fresh BIOS from yesterday (Thank you) which I is version = v10.1.0.1008. I understand it covers RAID 0 with trim. Is this the best one? Should I try with v11 instead?
    and then patch with:
    - new microcodes for 106A5 and 206C2. They are listed here for instance: https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/tree/master/Intel
    - add/update the IMEM stuff (have not read that yet)
  2. OR
  3. I can start with the already Spectre patched BIOS from over at https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa…rboards.246101/
    (it has an older RAID module v8.5.0.1030) and change the RAID module to one that can do RAID 0 with trim and fits within the ROM. Is v10.1.0.1008 the right one or should I go with v 11. which got a lot of praise?

Lastly need to add/update the IMEM stuff (have not read that yet)

Sorry for all the questions but I’ve put this off too long and I have several machines that needs patching and I need to get this right.

Thank you for all your help and advice!

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded quoted post removed and text formatting optimized (for a better readability)

Ok I went ahead and modded the Spectre patched BIOS from posted on ROG https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-103862.html and discussed here Techpowerup: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa…s.246101/page-7. The reason I started with that was because I could not update Ferdinand’s BIOS mod from yesterday with the CPU PATCH (Micro code) for 206c2. It gave me a “not a valid patch file” error. So had to start with @Regeneration BIOS which have all relevant CPU micro code patches applied to it and updated the RAID ROM module using the MMTool 3.26

I did two versions:
- RAID ROM updated to v10.1.0.1008 - file:r2e10Spec.rar
- RAID ROM updated to v13.5.0.2164 - file:r2e13Spec.rar

Both BIOS ROMs have the Intel Spectre updates for106A5 and 206C2 applied with the two version of RAID ROMs.

I will try r2e10Spec first on the week end when I have more time.

Use at your own risk! This is especially true as this is my first BIOS mod ever lol :slight_smile:

r2e10Spec.rar (853 KB)

r2e13Spec.rar (870 KB)