[Request] Unlock advanced menu on 2019 Acer Predator Helios 700 PH717-71

Hey @Lost_N_BIOS ,

I have the 2019 Acer Predator Helios 700 PH717-71 and I need to unlock the BIOS to get into the memory settings at least… I am using the newest v1.10 BIOS which can be downloaded from h t t p s://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIO…ACER&SC=EMEA_20

The BIOS extracted from my laptop in the *.bin format (using Intel CSME System Tools v12 r29) is attached to this post.

Once again, many thanks in advance for your time! Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
7empe

biosreg.zip (5.75 MB)

@7empe - Please do this >>

Please download the following package, and run the command below from each versions folder that directly contains it’s exe.
Before doing this, make sure you have secure boot disabled in BIOS, any BIOS password removed, and TPM/Encryption disabled.
Once done, copy the entire folder somewhere, delete everything but any created vars.txt and then repackage this and send to me.
This way all created vars.txt remain in place in the folders of the version that created them.
There may be errors, not all may work, ignore and carry on as outlined
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…212104496994806
https://www.sendspace.com/file/8v98ya

H2OUVE.exe -gv vars.txt

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I have checked bios and I have disabled TPM and Secure Boot. There is no BIOS password. All the vars.txt files in corresponding folders attached.

Cheers,
7empe

vars.zip (72.7 KB)

I am sorry. Secure Boot option was enabled previously. I found it on a different BIOS screen. Did the work again, with Secure Boot disabled this time. All the vars.txt attached.

vars.zip (72.8 KB)

@7empe - Thanks - Please drop this modified vars into H20UVE_100.00.16.08 folder, then run following command >> H2OUVE.exe -sv varsM.txt
There will be long list of success/fail, reboot once it’s done, then do step #1 (only) of spoiler below and send me the file (if you previously created a BIOS region dump, delete the file or use biosregnew.bin name for this next stuff)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…126564511952348

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way, you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!
Additionally, please remove all BIOS passwords, disable secure boot, and disable TPM or Encryption if you have enabled. Do this before moving on to below

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Step #1

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Step #2

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

Thank you. I did all the steps, and compressed biosregnew is attached.

biosregnew.zip (5.75 MB)

@7empe - Thanks, here is your unlocked BIOS
I was not 100% sure on this one, so there is two BIOS, flash M1 first and then if you do not see the new menus, flash M2
Flash via FPT spoiler step #2, but use these file names, example >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosregunlockm1.bin
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…384984569382651

*** WARNING - To ANYONE with laptop and unlocked BIOS!!!
DO NOT try to enable this graphics card or disable that card, switch cards etc. Otherwise you will end up with no display output (ie black screen) and no way to recover except by blind flash or with flash programmer.
You can change graphics related settings, like changing memory sizes, or core speeds etc, just don’t try to disable one card or change which is main etc.

Additionally, be very careful when trying to undervolt CPU, you can leave BIOS unbootable due to CPU voltage too low (Sometimes even 0.05 is too much)

WARNING *** - This BIOS is user specific! If you are not user 7empe at Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!
If you do, and you are not 7empe, then you will loose your serial, UUID, OG NVRAM, and possibly LAN MAC ID as well.
You have been warned!!!

Thank you very much! As soon as I get home I will try the new bios and let you know.

@7empe - You’re welcome, and anytime

The M1 bios works as a charm! Everything is unlocked! Thank you very much for your outstanding support! :slight_smile:

@7empe - Awesome to hear it, thanks for quick test and report back!
You’re welcome!!

Hey @Lost_N_BIOS ,

Need your help. Don’t know why my BCLK Frequency (that cannot be modified in BIOS) stuck at 43.750 MHz. This makes impossible to boot Windows. Previously it was 99.8 MHz. Any ideas how to restore the BCLK frequency? Intel ICC section in BIOS says it should be 100.00 MHz with 0.50% downspread.
-------------------------------------

After 1000 reboots and BIOS resets it gets finally the original 99.8 MHZ. Ugh, that was strange…

@7empe - Sounds odd, never heard of this happening before! Maybe it did not like something you were playing with?
Memory timing too tight, or speed to high?

Next time it happens, remove all power from the system (Main battery + PSU Cable), press and hold the power on button for 10-15 seconds, then let sit for 1-2 full minutes with no power
This resets the ME FW state, which control the Bclk, maybe that will help next time it sticks like that?

This strange thing happened when I edited “Intel ICC” section - Spread %. BCLK is always 99.7 to 99.8 MHz and never reaches 100.0 MHz. The only editable field in this BIOS section is Spread percentage in 0.01 unit. Allowed range is 0 - 50, so 50 gives 0.5% of spread. By default it was set to 47. I changed this to 0 and after reboot laptop stuck in short power on (1-2 seconds) and power off (1-2 seconds) cycle. Did the cmos clear and was able to reach the bios again, but BCLK frequency was 43.750 MHz… got it back to normal after dozens of cmos clears. I also disassembled the battery, removed the ram sticks, pressed the power button down by 2 minutes. This did not help - pcode read wrong BCLK all the time.

As for memory timings I went from default 2666 MHz 19-19-19-43 to 3066 MHz 18-18-18-36. This is i7-9750H, so it is almost the maximum frequency the memory controller can handle. I also tighten trfc and increased trefi from 5200 to 9600. Everything gives huge speed up - e.g. AIDA says write speed 46 GB/s, where previously it was 34 GB/s. Latency went down from 71 ns to 56 ns. 3dmark also noticed gains in cpu related tests by 3-4 FPS.

Thanks again for all the help you provided!

@ 7empe Sounds like maybe that’s unacceptable value to use, or at least now you know that one fails Did you try 00 for good measure, or is that what you applied first go around?
Maybe it’s like Bclk, sometimes there is blck hole, like 180 fails, but 179 or 181 is OK (made up example)
Try in large increments and see what happens, such as 05, 10, 20, 25 etc. Zero may fail due to that would = no point in enabling spread, so that may have bugged out the ME
It’s NEVER going to be 100 dead on anymore, you can get close if you want to hassle with it, but it’s really not worth it. Microcode versions fiddle with this a little bit too, so depending on spread + microcode = Bclk.

Very nice, sounds like you know your way around a memory stick, so I guess that was not the issue for sure
Keep tinkering, you’ll find your sweet spot for it all I’m sure

You’re welcome, as always!!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays if you do not celebrate Christmas!
I wish you and your family all the best in the New Year as well!

@Lost_N_BIOS Thank you! I also wish you a Merry Christmas and all the best wishes for the New Year! According to the BIOS in Intel ICC section, an acceptable range for the Spread Percentage is <0; 50>, where 0 = 0.00 % and 50 = 0.5%. I am pretty sure that something is wrong with ME FW, therefore I will not touch these settings anymore :smiley: I was pretty sure that I bricked the laptop and this is not the best felling :wink: As I have locked 9750H the only thing I could really play with was the RAM settings and I think I found the sweet spot already. Using throttlestop, I could also achieve -0.12V offset on Core and Uncore. As for RTX 2080 which is in this laptop, the default vBIOS was 150W. I have overwritten this vBIOS with the one from ASUS that is 200W. Power supply is 330W, so it is still fine, even after increasing the L1 and L2 power limits for the CPU. This additional 50W gives tremendous OC capabilities, taking me far away on the first place in the 3DMark for all the benchmarks (within the same CPU+GPU people group). Now I am looking for best GPU undervolt/performance ratio and this will be the end of the OC ride :slight_smile:

Cheers and all the best!

@7empe - Then update ME FW if you think it might be bugged ME FW. I’d suspect more the BIOS, either on purpose, or just by poor coding, since this is supposed to be hidden from you anyway, but it could be a hole type issue like I mentioned.
But yes, I know what you mean about “That feeling” it’s caused by not having a set of $7 tools in your hand, order CH341A + SOIC8 test clip with cable now, then in a month or two you’ll feel better about playing around
Careful on the undervolting, at least if doing on BIOS-side!! I’d save that until you had programmer in hand too. First place in 3DMark’s, nice!!

Merry Christmas!!

Undervolting is done after boot sequence, so in Windows through the throttlestop app. My experience says “do not ever touch boot-time voltages in laptop’s BIOS” :wink: Next step is to order the programmer for sure :slight_smile: I will feel much more comfortable.

Merry Christmas! :slight_smile:

Sounds like the best way! Yes, programmer is so cheap, everyone should have a set for sure
I have a few, some cheap, some expensive, so I’m always ready to fix any type of BIOS!

@Lost_N_BIOS ,

I have a 2020 Acer Predator Helios 700 PH717-72 and I need to unlock the BIOS too…
Can you help me please