Seaching for a BIOS for ASUS P6x58D Premium who recognized 3TB disks to build a RAID 5 set.

Hello all,

I bought 3 pieces WD 3TB disk who are recognized as 745,5 GB. I will configure an hardware RAID 5 drive via the BIOS.
My motherbord: Asus P6X58D Premium
I had a lot of strugless to restore the default 1501 BIOS after flashing the wrong one.

Who can help me to get the correct modding version?

Regards Wouter

@ wouth:
Hello Wouter,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

An Intel RST RAID ROM v10.5.x.xxxx or higher is required to detect > 2 TB sized HDDs. The latest BIOS 1501 for your BIOS contains an old Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.0.0.1038.
So you have at least 2 options to solve your problem:
a) Ask the ASUS support for a BIOS, which contains any Intel RAID ROM v11.x.x.xxxx.
b) Update the Intel RAID ROM of the BIOS 1501 yourself according to >this< guide. I recommend to replace the original Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.0.0.1038 by the Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527, which you can find >here<.
I just have tested it and succeeded with the update without any error message (e.g. “not enough space”). So I am very confident, that the updated BIOS will work flawlessly with your new system.

Good luck and happy New Year!
Fernando

Hi Ferando,

I have modded and flashed my ROM following your procedure: Update the Intel RAID ROM of the BIOS 1501 yourself according to >this< guide. I recommend to replace the original Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.0.0.1038 by the Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527, which you can find >here<.

But after the restart of the PC i get a blinking cursor on a black screen background (Ctrl-Alt Del doesn’t work).
After reset the PC, I can open the BIOS configuration with the DEL buttom.
Next configure the three 3TB disks (visable as 2.7 TB) as an RAID 5 with CTRL-I.
After booting the disks are visable and again the blinking cursor is back (Ctrl-Alt Del works).

Maybe the Marvell 88SE91xx should be updated for AHCI??

Maybe you have another hint for me, otherwise I will ask ASUS the Netherlands for a solution.

regards Wouter

Did you follow my advices, which I have layed down >here< within the chapter “Flashing the modded BIOS into the mainboard BIOS chip”? Maybe a CMOS clearing will solve your problem.

The Marvell SATA Controller has nothing to do with your Intel RAID array.

The latter will be a good idea.

Good luck!

I get anwser from ASUS NL they don’t support me and send me two links:

The Intel X58 chipset motherbords are using EFI BIOS who offered only support for MBR partitioned disks.
To suppurt 3TB fixed disks the advice is to use GPT partioned disks and needed UEFI BIOS.
By big RAID disks needed Intel RAID ROM v10.5.x.xxxx or later.
This version is not available for this motherboard so they support only small fixed disks.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463525
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Matrix_RAID

So option B is not possible

@ wouth:
It is a pity, that ASUS NL is not willing to help you. By the way: ASRock seems to be more X58 user friendly.
If you should not succeed to get the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 working after having cleared the CMOS, you may try the Intel RAID ROM v10.5.1.1070.

The Intel RAID ROM v10.5.1.1070 is also not the solution.

Maybe will be an exteral RAID controller the correct solution, I think about the Highpoint RocketRAID 640L

Regards Wouter

Hello Wouter,

since your problem with the update of the Intel RAID ROM obviously is induced by the limited space for the Option OROM modules (with the consequence of a too strong compression of the Intel RAID module), you may try the following (provided, that you don’t need the Marvell AHCI/RAID ROM module):
1. Delete the Marvell Storage Option ROM listed in the “RunLoc” column with 1B4B: 9120.
2. Replace the original Intel RAID ROM by the v11.2.0.1527.
3. Flash the modded BIOS and check, if your RAID array works properly and you get access to the Intel RAID Utility v11.2.0.1527.

Good luck!
Fernando

Hi Fernando,

I can’t find how to delete this: Delete the Marvell Storage Option ROM listed in the “RunLoc” column with 1B4B: 9120.
One other question is it also possible to upgrade this Marvell Storage Option ROM?

Regards Wouter

Open the BIOS with the MMTool 3.26, press the "Detete" tab, highlight the Option ROM 1B4B: 9120 line, press the "Delete" button and save the altered BIOS.
After having done that you can retry to update the Intel RAID ROM module

Yes, but not after the delition.

Hi Fernado,

I have created the modded BOIS so you described and cleared the CMOS.
I configure storage configuration to RAID and by Advanced Onboard device config => Marvell disabled.
Result: I can configure successfully the RAID configuration (2.7TB disks) and after reboot the blinking cursor is back after the RAID configuration screen is showed.

Sorry for all of us.
Maybe one option left to buy an separate RAID controller?

Thanks in advance for your work!

Regards Wouter

Yes, I totally agree. It’s a pity, because we have tried everything I could imagine.

Regards
Fernando