[Solved] Acer VN7-591G problem with Intel ME after bios chip flash

Hi,
Few days ago I wanted to update bios which resulted with soft brick.
I’ve managed to flash bios chip with SPI programmer via Raspberry Pi (found somewhere on the internet bios dump of my model), flashed it succefuly, after that I’ve flashed newest bios from vendor site but now I have few problems:

1. Different notebook serial ID in BIOS compared to that one from bottom of the laptop.
2. No post screen for about 15s
3. No Intel ME within Windows; cannot install Intel MEI drivers - every install begins with “This platform is not supported” error.
4. Audio crackling within windows

Result of MEManuf

Intel(R) MEManuf Version: 9.1.10.1000
Copyright(C) 2005 - 2014, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

FW Status Register1: 0x00044191
FW Status Register2: 0x107B2100

CurrentState: Init
ManufacturingMode: Enabled
FlashPartition: Valid
OperationalState: Bring Up
InitComplete: Initializing
BUPLoadState: Success
ErrorCode: Debug Error
ModeOfOperation: Unsecured mode by H/W jumper
Phase: BringUp
ICC: No valid OEM data, ICC not programmed
ME File System Corrupted: No
PhaseStatus: PCH ID MISMATCH

Error 9256: Communication error between application and Intel(R) ME module (FW Update client)

Error 0099: Unknown error code

Error 9255: Internal error

Could not determine FW features information

Error 9296: MEManuf Test Failed

Result of MEInfo
Intel(R) MEInfo Version: 9.1.43.3004
Copyright(C) 2005 - 2017, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

FW Status Register1: 0x00044191
FW Status Register2: 0x107B2100
FW Status Register3: 0x00000200
FW Status Register4: 0x00004000
FW Status Register5: 0x00000000
FW Status Register6: 0x30000020

CurrentState: Init
ManufacturingMode: Enabled
FlashPartition: Valid
OperationalState: Bring Up
InitComplete: Initializing
BUPLoadState: Success
ErrorCode: Debug Error
ModeOfOperation: Unsecured mode by H/W jumper
Phase: BringUp
ICC: No valid OEM data, ICC not programmed
ME File System Corrupted: No
PhaseStatus: PCH ID MISMATCH

HECI device is found to be disabled.

Error 9256: Communication error between application and Intel(R) ME module (FW Update client)

Windows OS Version : 6.2.9200 “”
OS BIOS Support : UEFI

Table Type 0 ( 0x 00 ) found, size of 24 (0x 18 ) bytes

Windows OS Version : 6.2.9200 “”
OS BIOS Support : UEFI

Table Type 0 ( 0x 00 ) found, size of 24 (0x 18 ) bytes
Table Type 1 ( 0x 01 ) found, size of 27 (0x 1B ) bytes
Table Type 2 ( 0x 02 ) found, size of 16 (0x 10 ) bytes
Table Type 3 ( 0x 03 ) found, size of 23 (0x 17 ) bytes
Table Type 4 ( 0x 04 ) found, size of 42 (0x 2A ) bytes
Table Type 7 ( 0x 07 ) found, size of 19 (0x 13 ) bytes
Table Type 10 ( 0x 0A ) found, size of 6 (0x 06 ) bytes
Table Type 10 ( 0x 0A ) found, size of 6 (0x 06 ) bytes
Table Type 11 ( 0x 0B ) found, size of 5 (0x 05 ) bytes
Table Type 12 ( 0x 0C ) found, size of 5 (0x 05 ) bytes
Table Type 16 ( 0x 10 ) found, size of 23 (0x 17 ) bytes
Table Type 17 ( 0x 11 ) found, size of 40 (0x 28 ) bytes
Table Type 19 ( 0x 13 ) found, size of 31 (0x 1F ) bytes
Table Type 20 ( 0x 14 ) found, size of 35 (0x 23 ) bytes
Table Type 20 ( 0x 14 ) found, size of 35 (0x 23 ) bytes
Table Type 24 ( 0x 18 ) found, size of 5 (0x 05 ) bytes
Table Type 170 ( 0x AA ) found, size of 74 (0x 4A ) bytes
Table Type 171 ( 0x AB ) found, size of 34 (0x 22 ) bytes
Table Type 172 ( 0x AC ) found, size of 21 (0x 15 ) bytes
Table Type 173 ( 0x AD ) found, size of 9 (0x 09 ) bytes
Table Type 127 ( 0x 7F ) found, size of 4 (0x 04 ) bytes

Error 9459: Internal error (Could not determine FW features information)

Result of FWUPDLC
fwupdlcl64 -f 9.1.37.1002_1.5MB_PRD_RGN.bin

Intel (R) Firmware Update Utility Version: 9.1.43.3004
Copyright (C) 2007 - 2017, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error 8193: Intel (R) ME Interface : Cannot locate ME device driver

After some research I think this is fault of a ME so I’ve created SPI dump using Pin-Mod

Can someone help me with that?

VN7-591G_SPI.zip (3.62 MB)

Do you have your own original/corrupted SPI image dump?

Only this one corrupted which is attached to original post

The one which is attached comes after flashing another system’s SPI image then. You should have kept a backup of your own SPI image. Obviously the Serial Numbers etc are wrong as the BIOS region is from another system dump. As for ME firmware, follow the Engine CleanUp Guide and check if its problems are solved after the re-flash.

/edit
Wow, flashed again but with -reflash option and it worked! Intel ME is back!

/edit2
bad serial number fixed using MPRW tool in dos

Thank you!

MPRW.zip (15.7 KB)

Hi @meciu and plutmaniac, I wish everything is fine with you. My friend gave me a laptop with brick bios after updating the 591G. Could you please show some hints how to recovery the laptop?

What we’ve tried is downloading all the version of bios and unzip it to a FAT32 flash drive (with named change). But still, the bios recovery mode get stuck. I have a raspberry pi and would love the method you mentioned above. Could you give some more details about it?

Thank you in advance!

@syscl
Here is guide how to flash bios dump with rpi
[Guide] Recover from failed BIOS flash using Raspberry PI

One thing you’ll need is working bios dump, which you can find on the web

Thank you so much @meciu ! Is there some specific connectors or devices I need to buy for raspberry pi? Is it possible to flash it without removing the bios chip?

@syscl
I did mine without desoldering chip, you can use good quality SOIC8/SOP8 test clip or solder wires straight into motherboard (I did it this way).
And you’ll need some jumper wires, 150 Ohm resistors and 47uF capacitor.

@syscl - if you make a backup before you write anything, I can probably save your original UUID, Serial, LAN MAC ID and put into new BIOS, so you wont have to try and find on stickers on the board or inside casing etc.

If you need link to example SOIC8 test clip w/ cable on ebay, here is cheap one (3-5 week delivery), and link to CH341A in case you find that cheaper than getting all the stuff you need for your Pi
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382486015977
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201316582787

@meciu cannot be happier from your valuable reply. Could I ask for a VN7-591G BIOS dump? I search the working bios dump online and not sure if other 591G bios dump is also valid for the VN7-591-74LK model. And by the way do I need backup the brick bios before flashing the working dumps? Thank you :slight_smile:

Thx! What’s the benefit comparing to the raspberry Pi? (No need resistor and capacitor?). Does CH341A supports my bios chip? thx

@syscl - my first reply answers your question, yes you should backup your chip before you erase or write anything, and wait for someone to confirm that it’s a valid proper dump, so you can try to preserve your board specific details (UUID, Serial, LAN MAC ID etc)
Only benefit of CH341A over Pi is it may be easier/more convenient to use, no soldering required too. And no, with CH341A you would not need resistors and capacitors etc. Only the CH341A + the SOIC8 test clip with cable is all you need.
Of course, you have to wait for delivery of those items, but you’d have to with the stuff you need for the Pi too, which is why I mentioned this as other option, since either way you have to order something and wait for long delivery.
Yes, CH341A support your BIOS Chip

Cool cool! That makes life much easier :slight_smile: One last question, because the bios is brick, is backing up the corrupted bios still necessary?

Thx in advance!

Yes, 100% make a backup and do not write anything or erase, until someone has checked your backup.
This is done for multiple reasons as mentioned above, one to try and retain your board specific info (UUID, Serial, MAC ID etc) and two so you can find which software works properly with your BIOS and board.

thank you so much. Will buy from the links you provide and let you know once the backup complete!

Hi @meicu and @Lost_N_BIOS

I was able to flash the BIOS using @meicu 's spi, and now the system can boot. But it seems I’ve encountered the ME region issue as well.

How can I flash/clean the ME? Do I still need to flash it using programmer?

Thx in advance!

There’s sticky topic about cleaning ME region. And you can flash it directly from windows with FPTW

Thanks. @meciu I used fptw -d spi.bin, but got CPU/BIOS Access errors. How did you resolve this issue?

Put device to sleep, wait few seconds, wake it up and try again. Now it should pass

If not you’ll need to short two pins on HDA chip to bypass that.

[Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing

Hi @plutomaniac and @Lost_N_BIOS can I get an bios advance menu unlock for Insyde20h? I tried using UEFI Tool to extra the Intel Page but it cannot replace the body.

Is there a way to unlock it permanently? Here’s the VN7 591G’s bios dump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c3gFy8i…iew?usp=sharing

Thank you in advance!