[Solved - BIOS Unlock] ASUS VivoBook F510UA/X510UAR

@alerscone - You’re welcome, and yes, sorry I should have put warning on that when posted it for noreplyse.
FD is not unlocked in the BIOS you sent? only for BIOS an GbE region, which are almost always unlocked anyway. Are you sure you sent me correct file? Do you want me to unlock FD fully? That way you wont have to use programmer anymore unless you write back in stock FD or stock BIOS Locked BIOS region

@Lost_N_BIOS Yeah, that is the correct file. And if you could fully unlock FD and everything that would be great. I think I was having some issues getting that done properly.

@alerscone - OK will do, give me a few minutes. See here, this is your FD and what’s locked/unlocked for read/write in the file you sent.

FD-Not-Unlocked.png

Okay, so I will need to use the Grub setup_var to change the FD state, correct?

You will need to unlock BIOS lock via grub right now if you want to flash BIOS region via FPT, since it’s currently locked (This is a BIOS setting, within BIOS region, nothing to do with FD).
But, if you are using flash programmer you wont have to do anything except program in the BIOS I will send you. If you want fully unlocked FD put into the BIOS, you will have to program it in with programmer, since FD is currently locked and you can’t write to FD region without pinmod or programmer.

BIOS lock variable for grub >> 0x8FB
efi file needs to be named >> Shell.efi
Command to write at grub prompt >> setup_var 0x8FB 0x0

@Lost_N_BIOS Okay, I have done this in grub. I think after multiple reboots this reset to 0x01 instead of 0x00. I appreciate all the help. I can test the bios whenever it is ready. Also, I don’t have access to a programmer so I will be utilising the FPT flash method.

Good, but it’s not needed if you are using programmer, which you have to use if you want unlocked FD flashed in, otherwise if you are using FPT you can only flash BIOS region (FPTw.exe -bios -f modbiosname.bin) and if you do that without programmer then unlocked FD does not get put onto BIOS chip.
BIOS lock setting remains until you ever again reflash stock BIOS or any BIOS region that does not have the lock disabled, or set back to 0x1 via grub.

See, here is unlocked FD now in the BIOS below, but this will only go onto your board if you use programmer or pinmod to unlock current FD and allow full FPT reflash.
This is not BIOS lock setting you change in grub (unrelated), that’s an actual BIOS setting you change in grub while FD is flash descriptor which is it’s own separate region of the BIOS

Unlocked-FD.png

Here is unlocked BIOS
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…605617999753053

Flash via >> FPTw.exe -bios -f dumpm.bin

To All >> Do not use the unlocked BIOS above, you will loose your serial, UUID, etc.
That is for @alerscone only, if you want unlocked BIOS send me your BIOS region dump from FPT, or entire BIOS dumped via programmer or FPT.

@Lost_N_BIOS Okay, so I think I misunderstood. Since I do not have a programmer I think the file provided will not work, correct? I was just hoping to get the advanced BIOS settings unlocked is all. Also, I am getting: error 451: the host cpu does not have write access to the target flash area. to enable write access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region. fpt operation failed.

@alerscone - Yes, it will work fine, you just wont be able to unlock the FD using it since you do not have programmer (unless you do pinmod to unlock). Did you use the exact command I gave you above?
It appears you did not, since you do have access to write to BIOS in the FD already, it’s saying you do not have access to some region so it looks like you did not use my command and instead tried to write entire BIOS (FPTw.exe -f dumpm.bin) << That will fail, since FD is locked
As mentioned above, flash via >> FPTw.exe -bios -f dumpm.bin

If that still fails, please send me FPT BIOS region dump and I will redo for you
Dump via >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Hi noreplyse,
I came across your post while looking for a way to get the backlit keyboard working in my Asus F510UA. I installed a backlit keyboard and it works completely with the exception of the Function-F3 and Function-F4 not controlling the backlight. Windows 10 provides the normal feedback for things like touch pad enable/disable, airport mode enable/disable, LCD brightness, etc. Right now I have the stock Asus BIOS v310 installed and it looks like I may need to unlock the BIOS to begin. I am interested in trying the steps that you did to modify the BIOS, but I want to be clear what they were. If it is not too much trouble, would you summarize your procedure starting with your stock bios?

Thank you and best regards,
Charles

Hello,

I’m a little lost on which tools/files to install and download. I used AIDA64 and Rw to extract everything. I am hoping to get the bios fully unlocked. Any setting possible.

Asus.VivoBook.15.X510UAR.310.zip (4.47 MB)

Here’s what you need to do @ChasW & @xul8tr

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way, you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

Hello my friend! I’m kind a new in the world of BIOS flashing (I already repaired two HP laptops with frozen BIOS, using an EZP2019 programmer). The problem now is that I have an ASUS Vivobook F510UA-AH55 with frozen BIOS after an update. I was looking for the BIOS in the ASUS wensite, but I realized that the file is 6MB of size while the chip is 8MB. I did a dump of the chip (GD25B64CSIG) from the MoBo (X510UNR REV. 3.0 A), but I was reading that I need to reconstruct a new BIOS file with the dump and the file from the ASUS website. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to reconstruct the new BIOS file and I was wondering if this file that you’re sharing could work for my laptop to get back to life?

If the dump that you’re sharing doesn’t work for me, could you give me any suggestions to succeed in the process of getting back to life this computer (it’s really important for me because the laptop belongs to my wife ), please!

Besides, I tried to reprogram the chip with this dump (http: //maytinhlaptop24h.com/schematic-asus-x510unv-rev30-bios-ec-ite.html), but the laptop still not working. I think that probably that dump was not the correct for the laptop.

Thanks for your time!