[SOLVED] Coffee-lake Cpus on Sky/Kaby-Lake chipsets

Thanks , I have an another question.
How can I add Kaby-Lake support for there motherboard that haven’t upgrade for Kaby-Lake?
I added microcode , updated GOP and VBIOS but only get fan running without booting.

Thanks for tip.
Tested on ASUS Z170, not working so far. Tried every ASUS Z370 board as a source for these, did not even solve the voltage-init problem. I get the system running in same manner as without the change.
Used UEFI Tool 45A to extract and UBU 1.69.6 for replace-body function and rebuild the bios image.

Will test further with other boards and post results in few days.

You can try to replace it :ASUS Z370 GUID: 899407D7-99FE-43D8-9A21-79EC328CAC21

Replacing the "Setup block" under mentioned GUID did not help.

tried but failed to update the BIOS (which looks a bit messy compared to other manufacturers):
UBU cannot update the VBIOS and also it doesn’t let you add the Coffee Lake microcodes.

h110m-hds.JPG

link to the manufacturer’s BIOS: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-HDS/#BIOS

Hi, try the attached BIOS. If you are reflashing without external SPI flash tool, you probably need to rename it back to the manufacturers convention.
I updated the microcode and VBIOS manualy using the UBU 1.69.6.
– Note: Whatever you use this file for, you are doing it AT YOUR OWN RISK.
– If you do not know how to recover bricked board, probably do not try it until somebody confirms it is working.

CoffeLake-Mod_H11MHDS7.30.zip (5.86 MB)

the CH341A is on its way and the BIOS chip is socketed so there is still a B plan.
thank you.

@LittleHill partial success.
flashed your file and no iGPU working (I am still on Skylake processor) but the PCI E is working (typing from the same PC at the moment).
if you could give me direction I will happily mod the BIOS myself…

[Guide] Transfer of specific Intel VBIOS settings by using Intels BMP tool
Maybe VBIOS needs to be inserted that way to preserve the Board config.

Intel Vbios has been successfully inserted.
the problem seems to be the CPU microcode:
inside the bios there are two microcodes and I would like to add a third one for coffee lake without having to sacrifice either Skylake or Kaby Lake.

All I know now
China has a number of teams trying to.
It is said that someone had successfully solved the PCIe problem before, but was discovered by Intel, was ordered to delete the uploaded Mod_bios, and was asked not to publish the relevant information on the network.(Test motherboard for biostarh110mg PRO )
Now, in China, the successful launch of the 6-core CPU case is to use a large number of porting Z370bios or modify Z370biso for compatible Z270 motherboards.

If the chinese have found out how to, it will come out sooner or later. They never care about all that NDA stuff or whatever, they always leak first.

@elisw
Try replacing unused Microcode with the Coffeelake one using MMTool or UEFITool. More often than now there are more than 2 microcodes included in BIOS.
Sometimes older version don’t get taken out or CPUID wouldn’t fit any CPU, these should be replacable.

@bankkopf unfortunately in the BIOS I have there are only 2 microcodes.

micro.JPG

You could try inserting it as additional Microcode. But this would mess up the structure of the BIOS, because the Microcode block will be larger than before. If there is enough place in the BIOS, it should not be a problem.
Try MMTool to insert, else UEFITool. With Award BIOS there was also another way, but I would not try it on UEFI without a way to recover.

In the end I used UBU and replaced the two working microcodes (Skylake and Kaby Lake) with one for Coffee Lake (extracted from an Asrock Z370 BIOS).

it is a success.

i3 8100 works perfectly, voltages and temperatures are perfect, iGPU is working fine as is the PCI Express (tried with a very old and basic video card).
with just the Coffee microcode and Skylake CPU the iGPU is not working anymore but with a dedicated GPU the PC boots and runs just fine.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7001381

Awesome. Nice work!

[quote="elisw, post:75, topic:32241"]
with just the Coffee microcode and Skylake CPU the iGPU is not working anymore but with a dedicated GPU the PC boots and runs just fine.
[/quote]
@LittleHill
Quoting myself here as this is also the same issue I had with the BIOS you provided me (for the same reason).
It is interesting as the Skylake CPU is actually detected and working also without a specific microcode inside the BIOS, albeit with no internal graphics.

Quick update to confirm I managed to insert a Coffee Lake microcode along with a Skylake one (thanks to SoniX last UBU version).

I really do wonder what makes the Asrock BIOS different from all the other vendor’s BIOS as it seems the mod only works on Asrock Boards.

Any ready bios’es to flash?

@elisw I inserted a Skylake i7 6700K on a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 Motherboard and it didn’t boot. Turned on for 1 second and turned off straight away.