[Solved] How to mod an ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS?

There is a new microcode (37) with a UBU Tool. Still only one CPUID supported… Any ideas on modding this table?

I have been trying to update Unb0rn’s 2001 BIOS to the latest microcode version 37, but even though I seem to be doing everything properly like I did last time, UBU still reports version 36. Any ideas?

Please explain your method in order to understand if your steps are correct.

Please explain your method in order to understand if your steps are correct.

I am talking about the method that was mentioned in this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1577530/guide…he-x99-ami-bios by Fernando.
Is there another?

Here we go :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By28-1Y…iew?usp=sharing

Try it (UBU reports microcode 37). If it works, as I suppose, I’ll explain how I mod it. :wink:

I used an hex editor and correctly replaced microcode 2D with the 37. I’m using the 3008 Beta

This is not Unb0rn’s version with the properly edited network modules. I can update the microcode correctly myself on a default BIOS, but not on Unb0rn’s as I primarily said.

And unfortunately, I do not know what procedures he follows to remove / update the network modules properly and so on, so I tried modifying his directly - which I failed to do so for unknown reasons to me.

Also, I do not see what other explanation is necessary, are you doing something different from what the guide directs us to do?

Ok, I’ll mod it the Unb0rn version.

Edit:
I can’t understand why you’re saying my modded bios has not the network modules properly edited while they are the same (I’ve only left the Realtek UNDI).

Read my previous post, anywat Unb0rn’s modules are exactly the same I used, so I can’t understand why you’re saying they are not the same. The only differences are that I’ve correctly inserted the cpu microcodes 37
and I’ve updated the Realtek UEFI Undi module.

Edit : This is the Unb0rn’s version with the microcode correctly updated to 37 !!! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By28-1Y…iew?usp=sharing

Well “properly” was the wrong sentence to use probably; I meant that Unb0rn’s BIOS version has the EFI Realtek UNDI module removed. I think only a couple of people know / understand how to do this. This is also the reason I gave up trying to contribute with updated BIOS posts - because I do not know how to cover this part.

You can go back and read the discussion regarding this matter, SoniX’s commended on it as well. I am really not sure whether it is necessary to remove it or not, but seeing ASUS removed it on its latest BIOS update, I assume people here were doing the right thing all along.

This is why I asked for his version, it is because I cannot replicate this part…

In order to remove the Realtek module you have to find it using the GUID reported by UBU and removing it using UEFI Tool.

Anyway as I reported before, here is the link for the Unb0rn bios with the Microcodes updated.

Well, I did not know that. Thank you for letting me know, I will look it up!

I did the usual BIOS Flashback. Everything working fine except that I can’t install RST Software and there isn’t a RST RAID Configuration option anymore in the BIOS

UPDATE: I made a rookie mistake when I encountered this issue of not being able to install the RST Software. Although I had the BIOS in RAID mode, I purchased and was waiting for another hard drive to arrive…before I hooked up all my drives to the RAID controller. So there were no drives in the ports…I’m assuming that was the reason it would not install the software.

After I hooked up 6 HGST 4TB NAS drives and created a RAID 5 array…the software installed fine. Now I am learning the fun of RAID initialization…takes FOREVER!

@Sylar76 & @Unb0rn ,

On your R5E’s, way back in the beginning when you first got your boards did they have BOTH RSTe & RST(e) in the BIOS?

In the beginning I noticed that my R5E initially had a version 13 of the RST(e) AND and version 4 of the RSTe? I eventually removed/replaced the RSTe v4 chain with the RST(e) v14 chain.

The reason I ask is when I went in to the Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI section, I thought I would replace the Standard SATA AHCI Controller’s (HardwareID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D62) Microsoft driver with the Intel one. Thinking it would find what it needed in the 14.10.0.1016 (64bit) driver folder…no luck.

I checked my Device Manager/Storage Controller section/Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller (HardwareID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822) and it reflects the correct driver v14.10.0.1016.

The Device Manager did find an Intel driver it liked for the Standard SATA AHCI Controller…the RSTe v4.5.0.1234? I installed it but my RST(e) v14.10.0.1016 software would no longer open. I rolled it back to the Microsoft one and the RST(e) software opens fine again?

I read post #2093 by @100PIER here where he discusses the same issue on another X-99 board and both V14 and V4 are running well simultaneously on his?

Are you just using the Microsoft driver for your Standard SATA AHCI Controller?

@ESausman
I use this configuration:

drivecontrollerinfoX99.PNG

I don’t use MS AHCI driver.

@100PIER
What software is that in the pic on the left side?

@ESausman
It is DriveControllerInfo (v 2.1.4) you can download at:
DriveControllerInfov2.1.4

Ok thanks
What is changed in this modded 3008 ? Only SATA OROM/EFI and uncore Module ?

Possible to add the CPU microcode 37 for Haswell-E 06F2 in bios 2001 instead of 36 (until the next bios "stable" to R5E)
Anyone know what it changes ?

Thanks for your great work :slight_smile:
PS: What the Uncore module? I do not see it in the update modules of "UBU"

Hi, Sylar.

Does this bios have modified uncore part to perform like 1801???

Thanks in advance…

Here is the 2001 bios with all modules updated, MEI Firmware 9.1.37.1002, CPU Microcodes 37 and Uncore Mod to perform like the 1801 one.