[Solved] How to mod an ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS?

Yes. The latest available version of that support chips 82579, 217 and 218 is:
- OROM Boot Agent GE 1.5.62
- EFI PRO/000 Undi 6.6.04

Try, test, there is always a solution.

I thought this was an issue we already discussed about it earlier SoniX, and I pointed out that the logical think would be to go for the UNDI 6.x (in accordance to guidelines you posted earlier in another topic regarding LAN modules and their corresponding ROMs) but you pointed out that UNDI 0.0.09 is the latest one and your follow-up modded BIOS included that instead of UNDI 6.x.

So should we go on and update to UNDI 6.x or is the UNDI 6.x applicable with the irrelevant "Realtek LAN module" included, and UNDI 0.0.09 when the "Realtek LAN module" is removed?

@ Fabulist
For chips 82579, 217 and 218 you can use only:
1) old modules
- EFI PRO/1000 Undi v6.6.04 and lower
- OROM Boot Agent GE v1.5.62 and lower
2) new modules
- EFI Gigabit Undi v0.0.1 and and higher
- OROM Boot Agent CL 0.1.04 and higher
Only these versions support work with chips 82579, 217 and 218.
To what version update is a personal matter.
I have a 218 chip, the new modules are used, no problem.
But if there are problems with the new version you can always leave the originals.

- EFI PRO/1000 Undi v6.7.xx and higher
- OROM Boot Agent GE v1.5.7x and higher
These versions are no longer supported by chips 82579, 217 and 218, only 210, 211 and 350.

Realtek can be removed, it is superfluous. But if you use a network card from Realtek that the file can be left.

Every time I have updated my BIOS with a new RAID EFI I have completely lost my RAID setup…even after adjusting my settings and then trying to recreating the identical RAID (Same name, drive sequence, etc…) I only managed to save everything by using Testdisk. I am not sure how to upgrade without losing all RAID data and then having to perform a recovery. Scared the hell out of me…

That is not normal at all.
Questions:
1. Which Intel EFI RaidDriver BIOS module versions did you update with which versions?
2. Which Intel RAID driver were/are you running?
3. Why did you update the Intel EFI RaidDriver modules at all?

And one of the things I find frustrating is that users with zero contribution come and demand more than regular users. It is not enough that everything is already available for immediate use, it must also come with guides and prescriptions. Well, guess what? UBU is not only a fast alternative for the manual update, but also a tool designed to offer a rather high amount of modules, latest updates if available, with enough wisdom to offer the right modules for a specific system. Having said that, I haven’t read anywhere that UBU will deliver perfection and everything will be documented. It is a tool to help the user, not to take the place of his reasoning. More than that, there are in fact guides for everything related to BIOS update, just a few clicks away. But why read those when you can just ask the developer, with the most demanding tone? Let me do the work for you: type "i218" in the search bar, you will get a few results. You can start from the second page, where everything is explained, but you should also read the posts from user inuchanbt, who didn’t waited for the answer to fall from the sky, he contributed generously with tests and feedback. Is that not enough for you? Here are the supported IDs for each version. Do you want me to also read it to you? And please do tell which are those "recommendations [that] normally come with no explanations".

I will have to apologize to all others for my slippery tone, which is not suited for this forum. I am well aware that lately I am spending more time criticizing, rather than helping. But then comes a post like the quoted one, that baffles you with its disrespectful tone and demands. And it makes me turn green, purple and everything in between.

Intel_UNDI_IDs.rar (6.85 KB)

That is not normal at all.
Questions:
1. Which Intel EFI RaidDriver BIOS module versions did you update with which versions?
2. Which Intel RAID driver were/are you running?
3. Why did you update the Intel EFI RaidDriver modules at all?

To answer your questions:

1. Which Intel EFI RaidDriver BIOS module versions did you update with which versions? 14.6.0.2285 to 14.8.2.2397
2. Which Intel RAID driver were/are you running? Drivers & Software Set: From 14.6.0.1029 to 14.8.1.1043
3. Why did you update the Intel EFI RaidDriver modules at all? I was hoping for a performance increase…and I was bored one day!

@lordkag
Wow, take things personal much? I didn’t particularly have you in mind when I said that, but if the shoe fits then I certainly don’t want to get in the way of a good rant. On the other hand, I thought that the response from @SoniX to @Fabulist was spectacular. It actually provided information that other people could use in helping to come to an informed conclusion. Isn’t that what you’re trying to accomplish here?

I’m not clear on exactly what work I was asking anyone to perform for me. I made the statement, which to me seems self evident, that the sentence “use A instead of B” is much less useful than “use A instead of B because C.” I’ve modded my own copy of the R5E BIOS to manually update the microcode and the IRST OROMs and efi. And I managed to do that without even the temptation to ask you to do it for me.

I didn’t complain about UBU. In fact, I didn’t mention it. Since Asus buried the Intel Boot Agent in with the two copies of the RST OROM under the same GUID UBU can’t deal with it. Hence my interest in doing it myself. And up until that recent response from @SoniX no search of this forum led me to a posting containing information equivalent to his last post (or I didn’t understand them if they did) because they all seemed to me to be recommendations for particular releases with no explanation for why that release was suggested. Hence my comment about the lack of information in a pronouncement that just says "use X."

I’m not entirely certain how I could answer this question for myself. My google-fu isn’t strong enough to even find alternative versions of the Boot Agent. All I managed to find on the Intel web site is a program which, if I read the readme correctly, can generate Boot Agent OROMs. Unfortunately it seems to be a 16 bit application that won’t run under Windows 10.

So I turned to this thread since it seems to be where the folks with the knowledge reside. I would have liked to have been able to answer the question without having to inflict myself on your valuable time, but none of the answers already present gave me enough information to decide the best course of action if I wanted to avoid release numbers like 0.0.09 and 0.1.06. I was unable to find even a clue as to what the best viable alternative is.

I’m sorry if I offended you. I wasn’t intending to question your judgement. I just wanted to understand it.

@ rmongiovi
I do not think someone can tell exactly which version will work best and which is worse. On the experience I know that two of the same motherboards with the same file in certain circumstances may work differently. All I can tell is what versions of working and which are not.

@ESausman :
Thanks for having answered y questions.

Please expain exactly what you have done after having flashed the BIOS, which contained the updated Intel EFI RaidDriver module.
By the way: As soon as you have deleted the previously existing RAID0 array, you cannot recover the related data by creating a new RAID0 array (not even by giving it the same name and choosing the same drive sequence).

Hello to the community.

I use a RVE w/ USB 3.1
2x 850 pros Raid 0 at 1,2 slots and AHCI at 7,8 slots HDDs

I have read so much in the guides for the last 2 days that it feels like a salad with 200 ingredients and i am too confused.
I wanted to mod 1801 bios since i read a lot of issues with 1902 even from stock.
I used UBU but that got me around half way so i went with UEFI Tool.
The problem is that i don’t know exactly how to find anything i need to change and where to find the correct file to use with replace body.
OROMs and EFI RAIDs 14.8.2.2397
OROM Intel Boot Agent GE 1.5.62
EFI Intel PRO/1000 UNDI 6.6.0.4
EFI Realtek UNDI 2.035
CPU Microcode 36

Those are the choices i had in mind to begin with since it depends from the board if it likes them or not.

I am stack at this point, anyone would like to explain how can i do it through UEFI Tool or has a bios modded like this and wants to share it?

You can find the desired guide here:
[Solved] How to mod an ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)

@GoNz0

Thanks for the reply and the link.
I changed the OROMs but i still need to change the microcode to 36.
I can’t find Intel Boot Agent 1.5.62 so i 'll keep it with 1.5.47

Is it possible with UEFI Tool to change the cpu microcode? If yes how, if no what other way you do it guys?

i do not know but I think you will need to use the other tool that does the auto updating, now you have modded the raid oroms using the link I posted you should be safe to use the other tool :slight_smile:

Someone else will pop in and let you know what link to follow :wink:

You probably mean the UBU tool. >Here< is the link to the tool and the guide.

But UBU is failing to replace the Microcode for the cpu.

EDIT: With what and how people change the microcode?

I finally did it.
Used hex editor and replaced the microcode.

Used it in the 2nd bios with flashback.

Raid is fine but windows failed to boot 3 times.
Always freezing at loading screen with rog logo.

4th time i used the OC i had in the other bios and booted normally.

I’m gonna start testing and report back with the results.

2001 is up with some unknown m.2 improvements.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2…E-ASUS-2001.zip

1901 changed something to do with memory timings as it no longer set itself to a 125 boot strap instead the 100 bootstrap so a lot of people got better stability.

who knows what 2001 brought to the table as Asus are pants at disclosing fixes.

If anyone mods it please post it so I can add it to the 1st post.

Thanks.

Here it is.

LAN and SATA OROM/EFI Updated.

R5E.ZIP (6.22 MB)

Thanks it is in the 1st post unless someone starts tinkering a bit deeper :slight_smile:
Did you do both Sata modules?