[Solved] How to mod an ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS?

First of all, I’ve tested my mod for myself(all modules LAN OROM included) and everything seemed to work. So, if you ask me, any problem you may encounter was introduced by Asus(with the only exception-inability to turn off network stack completely in UEFI settiungs-seems to be something with newer driver-0.0.x one). Now about your boot problems,-while modding this new BIOS I found a new NVMe module-AMI NVMe EFI Driver, so maybe it has something to do with your problems…

Considering they have probably the worst support in the industry I doubt it, at best they will tell you to roll back. They no longer post in the R5E forum as it seems they were out of there depth.
I tried UK support but they are basically an answering service that say they have passed your problem on, never to be heard from again.

I’m having interesting issues, I don’t know if it’s because the modification itself or the 1902 bios. But if I goto the 125mhz strap, apply a 1.29-1.31 volts. It seems to overvolt itself even further. For example at 1.29v, Bios and ASUS OC Panel are reporting a 1.375v. I’m about to bust out the multimeter to double check. But was wondering if anybody was having this problem.

Can someone here please help me by posting a modded 1902 with latest RSTe drivers for my Rampage V Extreme X99 by chance? getting a bit confused on the process with this and the UEFI tool.

Running two 840 pro’s in raid 0 on controller 1 and two drives in AHCI on controller 2 if thats needed.

thanks for any help.

This post has all the info you need to sort the raid oroms. [Solved] How to mod an ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS?

Have a go, worst that happens is you have to reflash it as you have 2 BIOS chips :slight_smile:

If

Ok thanks, all i need is the EFI driver and Intel sata driver to replace in the package correct?

So i downloaded the RST RAID OROM, and i did the search with UEFI tool and found the two GUID’s listed above…do i right click both and replace body with the extracted file from the OROM i downloaded? using the same file twice for both GUIDs?

Yes that is correct.

So i installed my modded 1902 bios and set my controller to raid…seems like something is wrong now as i my raid setup is missing under the boot tab. I dont even see the raid setup screen during boot…just errors out randomly now and have to reset or leads me back to bios…please help.

I followed the instructions and made sure i used the same RSTe and UEFI oroms.

ok crisis averted, switched to bios 2 and went back to 1302.

now to figure out where i went wrong or what happened…

If you wish, here is my 1902 modded bios with only IRST OROM/EFI Updated.

1902MOD.zip (6.22 MB)

If you wish, here is my 1902 modded bios with only IRST OROM/EFI Updated.

Thanks, ill try that tonight.

Will doing this retain my raid setup I have? I know ill have to switch the controller from AHCI to RAID but just want to make sure. Also should I disable CSM?

I’m running the modded 1801 from a month or so ago. I’ve got a 5960 at 4.5GHz with 1.2875 volts stable for a few hours in realbench so I’m pretty happy. There’s just one odd issue…

Before 1801 I was stable at 4.5 with a slightly higher voltage. Since one of the selling points of 1801 was the possibility of lowering that I started experimenting. I got to the point where realbench detected instability so I backed off to a voltage that had been stable before but realbench now reported that voltage as unstable. In fact, I went back to stock settings and realbench still failed. Eventually I reset CMOS and reentered the exact values I’d been running at just before the initial failure and once again I was stable at that voltage.

On other occasions I’ve gotten the dreaded “overclocking failed” during POST. There doesn’t seem to be anything I can do, even loading the optimized settings, to prevent the overclocking failed message once it shows up. But if I clear CMOS and reenter the same numbers that failed they work and continue working. Last night I decided to try overclocking cache. I set moderately conservative min and max cache multipliers and selected save and exit. When the system tried to reboot it hung in POST. I power cycled it and got the familiar (by now) overclocking failed message so I cleared CMOS and reentered all my old settings including the new cache multipliers. This time the system came up and it was stable in realbench for 2 hours. So the settings seem to work fine when entered immediately after CMOS is cleared but they don’t work at all when entered as a change to earlier settings…

One thing I’ve noticed is that the “save and exit” prior to the overclocking failed message seems to take much longer than normal. The screen is blank with just an underline cursor in the upper left quadrant of the screen. I’m not entirely certain how this could be a hardware problem since the settings seem to work fine the first time I enter them. It’s like the BIOS isn’t updating all it’s internal tables correctly when I change from one setting to another.

Anybody have any insight or suggestions? Reentering all my settings manually is getting a bit old. I’m hoping that 1902 might fix this, otherwise I guess I need to write my settings to a thumb drive so I can clear CMOS and reload easily.

Yes, you have to set RAID mode on SATA controller as well as disable CSM.

An update on my boot problem when raid is enabled:
I have succesfully updated my bios to the modded 1902 version provided in this forum.
I have then made all my adjustments in the bios, and set controller 1 from achi to raid and then in boot option i must have csm enabled and set UEFI devices first at storage config.
I can now enjoy 1902 bios and have my raid 0 enabled.
The only thing now is to figure out how to have my sapphire Fury tri-X OC UEFI enabled so i can fully disable csm.

Do I need a microcode updated bios if I’m running Windows 10? I’ve heard the microcode was updated by Windows update a few months ago.

One of the things I find frustrating about this forum is that recommendations normally come with no explanations of the facts that went into making the recommendation. This makes it impossible to evaluate the reliability of the recommendation or to decide if I agree with the judgement that went into making the recommendation.

This LAN update issue is a perfect example. The ASUS Rampage V Extreme Bios comes with:

OROM Intel Boot Agent GE - 1.5.47
EFI Intel PRO/1000 UNDI - 6.0.24

According to @SoniX :

If onboard 1 NIC 82579/217/218/219 - Gigabit UNDI v0.0.09 (for Aptio 4 Boot Agent CL v0.1.05)
If onboard 1 NIC 210/211/350 - PRO/1000 UNDI v6.9.07 (for Aptio 4 Boot Agent GE v1.5.72)

The R5E comes with the Intel I218V chip, so I seem to have two choices. ASUS clearly thinks that the Intel PRO/1000 UNDI works with that chip. If I trust that conclusion, then I ought to update the BIOS to Intel PRO/1000 UNDI 6.9.07 and Boot Agent 1.5.73.

On the other hand I have SoniX’s recommendation that the 218 chip is best supported by the Gigabyte UNDI. If I trust that conclusion, then I ought to switch the BIOS to Gigabyte UNDI 0.0.09 and Boot Agent 0.1.06.

Without any information about why those are the correct conclusions, how can I choose between them? The Gigabyte UNDI and corresponding Boot Agent’s versions numbers seem very immature to me. I would normally avoid them like the plague regardless of whether or not they are specifically developed for the 218 chip. I prefer that others work out the bugs in my software rather than myself.

But without some idea of why the recommendation is to switch from what ASUS used to the much newer firmware, I have absolutely no way to make that choice based on facts. Are there problems using the Intel PRO/1000 with the Intel I218V? Are there real advantages to switching to the Gigabyte UNDI or is it just a matter of “it’s specific to this chip and it seems to work”?

Since version OROM Boot Agent GE v1.5.7x and EFI 1000/PRO Undi 6.7.xx Intel removed support chips 82579, i217 and i218. If you are using a later version of these chips, then you will be nothing to work with
Support chips 82579, 217, 218, and 219 is now implemented in the new modules OROM Boot Agent CL and EFI Gigabit Undi.

So if I wanted to avoid a potentially immature Gigabyte UNDI 0.0.09 and Boot Agent 0.1.06 an alternative might be to update to the last version of Intel PRO/1000 UNDI 6.6.xx and Boot Agent 1.5.6x? Are those still available anywhere?

I’m following this line of questioning because of Unb0rn’s comment about being unable to completely disable the network stack with the 0.0.X Gigabit UNDI. I want to avoid that problem so I’m trying to figure out if there’s an alternative to just leaving that part of the BIOS alone.

Just mod your own if you’re not happy with the offerings here, that is what most people have done :slight_smile: