SSD not working with Windows 7 (detected as PCI device)

Need some help with a problem I’m having.

I just installed my new SSD. It’s a 1TB Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 SSD (M.2 NVMe) in a ASRock z170 OC Formula Motherboard (PCIe 3.0). I read that this wouldn’t cause problems and would run at 3.0 speeds, which I was fine with.

Notes:

- I’m using Windows 7.
- The SSD is detected and displays properly in UEFI.
- In device manager the SSD shows up as “PCI Device” under “Other devices”.
- There is nothing in Disk Management / diskpart etc. because Windows 7 is not detecting it properly.

I’ve tried:

- Installing KB2990941-v3 and v2 from elsewhere on this site (I can’t post the link to it due to being new). I get the error:

"Installer encountered an error: 0x80070422
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enable devices associated with it."

I have also tried installing this update from elsewhere (I forget where) and I got an error along the lines of “this update is already installed”.

- Uninstalling / disabling the “PCI device” via Device Manager.
- Trying to manually apply a generic driver via “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer” in Device Manager but couldn’t find any that fit. (Idk if I’m way off here or if this could work.)
- Flicked a couple of UEFI settings back and forth (I forget what)

Can someone please inform me if this SSD should work with my setup or not? If not, can someone please tell me why it wont and possibly recommend me some compatible SSDs? Thank you very much.

@AAA : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

To be able to get the NVMe Controller detected by the OS Win7 you have to install an NVMe driver, which supports the Sabrent SSD resp. its NVMe Controller (Win7 has no in-box NVMe driver). Unfortunately Sabrent doesn’t offer a specific NVMe driver for their NVMe SSDs.
The NVMe Controller of the Sabrent SSD should nevertheless be shown within the Win7 Device Manager (maybe with a yellow flag as “unknown device”).
This is what I recommend to do:
1. Download the “mod+signed generic 64bit Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 for Win7 x64”, which is offered >here<.
2. Import the Win-RAID CA Certificate, which is within the driverpack, according to >this< guide.
3. After having rebooted you should be able to get the mod+signed Samsung NVMe driver manually installed (no forcing required).

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Legend!!! It seems like it has worked!!

Thank you for the welcome; I’ve used this site in the past (never had an account) and your threads have been so useful. (I remember your profile picture xD)

Do you know if this driver will lack in performance compared to the native driver (hypothetically if it existed for Window 7 or maybe compared to Windows 10).

Thank you again :slight_smile:

@AAA :

The mod+signed generic Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 definitively gives the Sabrent Rocket 4.0 SSD a better performance than the generic MS Win10 in-box NVMe driver. >Here< is the proof.