Successfully unlocked N8xEJEK (Coffeelake Clevo Notebook)

A few weeks ago I decided to buy a new laptop as my old T400 Thinkpad was not fun to use anymore.

I decided to buy a Clevo laptop but was shocked about the locked Bios. I was nether able to activate XMP (in order to use my 2666 Mhz Ram) nor undervolt the cpu. I know that both can be accomplished using Intel XTU tool but as I’m a linux user my options are very limited. Undervolting is possible using iuvolt but I was not able to activate XMP. Although XMP can be activated with Intel XTU it stays activated even in linux but as soon as you are loading Bios defaults it gets overridden.

So I started searching for Bios mods and there is a specific Clevo Bios mod called “Prema”. But it’s only available when buying the laptop from specific reseller (and mine was none of them).

So after a few days I started reading about Bios modding. I’m a software developer myself but never did something like this. After a few days reading tutorials and threads in this forum I successfully unlocked multiple menus, removed the Bios lock, and flashed the modified file.

So why am I writing this? I guess I’m one of those leechers just reading in forums trying to gather all necessary information and help myself. But it would not have been possible without this exceptional forum with so much unique information! So I just wanted to thank you all! Especially posts from Fernando, lordkag, CodeRush, SoniX and Lost_N_Bios were extremely helpful!

I’ve attached my modded Bios just in case anyone with a Clevo N8xx EJ / EK laptop has the same issue. You may need to remove the Bios lock. I’ve flashed it with fpt from within an EFI shell (Fpt.efi -f bios.bin -BIOS).

N8xEJEK.zip (3.99 MB)

Thanks @Tobi - That’s what BIOS modding is (Should be) all about, learning methods, sharing how-to’s, sharing successful edits, and then trying to learn some more. Thanks for sharing your mod BIOS for others to enjoy!

For anyone needing to unlock BIOS lock before flashing this BIOS, here’s my guide on that (wrote for other brand board, but it will show you the way for this boards BIOS too)
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash
Alt boot to grub when no boot to EFI on exit page - [Help needed] Hidden Advanced menu Bios HP Z1 J52_0274.BIN (2)

I would like to thank you in advance for your work. I have an Avell (Brazilian) notebook with the Clevo N8xEJEK board.
I’ve used a PremaMOD again on another Avell, but I can’t back up to this one. Could you help me Flash this MOD of yours on my Clevo N8xEJEK?

@paulocoob - Sorry, not sure what you are asking there? If you want to backup your PremaMOD BIOS you can do so with FPT, and on that same note, once you are done you can flash the mod BIOS above provided by @Tobi

First, you may need to disable BIOS Lock, guide for that above. Below is how you dump BIOS region with FPT
This will backup your current PremaMOD BIOS (#1) and test flashing it right back to the BIOS (#2), if that (#2) fails with error, then you need to see guide linked above to unlock BIOS and or SMI Lock

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64
Then on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C.2” download the matching ME System Tools Package
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder.
Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command to backup current BIOS region >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
If you do get error, show me image of the command entered and the error given, and see above guide for how to disable this lock stopping you from flashing
^^ This is important step, don’t forget ^^

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

Sorry for my ignorance. I can’t backup using FPT.

This error appeared "Error 201: [FPTw.exe] cannot be run on the current platform.
Please contact your vendor. "

I used these commands “C: \ fptw> fptw.exe -d bios.bin”

How do you run fpt? From within a windows command prompt?

I’ve never tried running fpt from windows. I guess the most secure way is to run it from within an EFI shell. If you have fpt.efi available you should give it a try. Just download an official BIOS from a mirror like http://repo.palkeo.com/clevo-mirror/N8XEK1_EJ1/. They contain an EFI shell which can be booted from the BIOS.

All right. After a while without working on this update, today I decided to update the BIOS and put its modified version. Perfect
I did it for Windows. It was easy
Congratulations on the work, man. You are 10
--------------

Lost_N_BIOS. I have a lot to thank you for. Your guide helped me a lot.
I have a question. Using the Intel Diagnostic tool, I received this message.
Previously exhibited Your system is vulnerable.
Is there any way to update the ME?
Now shows only “Unknown”

@Lost_N_BIOS
Help me please Man. I can’t get the correct ME update.
I’m vulnerable to that back door shit

@paulocoob - please dump your FD for me first, so I can see if ME unlocked in FD or not >> FPTw.exe -desc -d fd.bin

@Tobi - to run FPT, in windows, DOS, or UEFI you have to have the correct version of FPT that matches your ME FW version. You also must have ME drivers installed, if you use the windows version
No specific type is required, you can use Windows or DOS etc, doesn’t matter, mainly user preference or if ME FW corrupted DOS best since you can’t install/load ME drivers.

Here’s how to find what you need - Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64
Then on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C.2” download the matching ME System Tools Package
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Thank you for helping me. I had to format Windows to run the Tools.
FW Version 12.0.0.1069 H Consumer

fd.rar (457 Bytes)

x

I know it’s quite a long time since somebody posted here but I will try my luck anyway.
I have a CLEVO N8xEJEK laptopp with Intel Core i5 Coffee Lake, Intel UHD Graphics 630/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. I have read these posts about unlocking the BIOS and my question is: did you installed Windows 7 afterwards? And most important: did you find drivers for Windows 7 ?
I found video drivers for both Intel and Nvidia and the W10 driver for the fingerprint reader is working also in W7, but that’s about it.
I wonder if you guys found other W7 drivers for this laptop.

@paulocoob - See the ME FW page, you need to flash latest V12 ME FW with ME FW update tool (not FPT) - Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools
For Spectre/Meltdown you probably also need to update CPU microcodes, and for that we will use FPT and dump BIOS region, edit, then flash it back.

Boa noite @paulocoob … Comprei um 2AM recentemente e estou tendo problemas com uma memória adicional que coloquei nele. Também não tem a opção de XMP na Bios. Você conseguiu habilitar as opções da Bios?
Meu 2AM possui uma MB Clevo N850EJ1-V.

Se puder me ajudar a desbloquear as opções da Bios te agradeço.

vlw…

Good night, I bought a 2AM recently and am having issues with the additional memory I put into it. There is also no XMP option on Bios. You managed to enable as options of the bios, rot please describe the whole process you did to get XMP enabled?
My 2AM has an MB Clevo N850EJ1-V.

If you can help me unlock I appreciate it.

@oliveiraelemos
You guys should start looking at post dates…whenever a topic has last message date with more than 6 months…its a bit difficult to address a specif user (paulocob Last seen in August 2020), because usually and maybe
like u, after they get “rescued”…they forget the forum.
So, following forum rules u can make a request on the appropriate section and wait for someone to help u on ur problem
BIOS Modding Requests

E aí amigo, conseguiu alguma Bios mod? Também tenho um note Avell com a mesma placa, é um A51. Não acho Bios atualizada em lugar nenhum, pode me dar alguma resposta?

Desde já,
agradeço!

Amigo, que eu saiba, nao temos atualizacao de BIOS para essa placa. Essa BIOS Mod esta completinha