[TOOL] Easy automated Mod tool for Coffee Lake bios

Your theory sounds right, i already tried limiting package power this did not make a difference. Deactivating cores i did not try yet, i will give it a go.

Deactivating cores only allows you high clocks despite low power limits. If you already crash with lowered power limits and thus lower clocks, you definitley got a voltage problem somewhere. Personally, I had to reduce RAM clock by 200 MHz when going from 6700K to 9900K despite increasing voltages to 1.23 V SA (according to HWInfo), 1.34 V IMC and 1,42 V DRAM.

In the few cases where I have observed VRAM overheating before, however, there was never a crash to black. Normally all boards should pull prochot and than clocks go down. The lowest I got were 550 MHz on an Asus B450 with an (allegedly compatible) 3950X. But fade to black is either a voltage issue (including overwhelmed PSU) or some safety mechanism overreacting. Have you checked overcurrent limits?

Greetings!
As the title suggests, I own an Asus H110m-e/m.2 and has flashed the bios from 4210 to 4204. In the modding process, I also changed the ME to 11.0.8 Corporate and disabled it in coffeetime. After flashing it using a USB, the bios flashed successfully and the version has changed, but the ME stayed the same.
Can anyone help me on this?
For context, I’m trying to use a xeon e3 - 1220 v5 on it

Hello there, i have a Clevo rebrandet Laptop here, an N350DW (same as Wortmann/Terra 1542, Schenker F516, Nexoc B519). It has a H170 chiipset with a i5-6400t CPU installed. Can this thing also be modded to support a i9-9900k cpu, oder a i7 8700 cpu?

Am I right in understanding that the ‘Coffeetime 0.99.exe’ is the go to tool for 8th/9th gen function for Skylake boards ?

I dumped my bios but Coffeetime says N/A for UUID and SN . I even desoldered the chip and used a Ch314A reader , the UUID and SN is still missing …

Can I flash without the SN and UUID?

@90Ninety Hi, Gigabyte do not include any serial number or UUID (unlike Asus) so there is nothing to put into those fields.

The MAC address however should be entered if you have an Intel Gigabit ethernet adapter (which your GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 does) as you can erase/ovewrite it - which will make it non-functional.

@chinobino

I have an dual nic both intel and Killer GBE adapters … The board has the MAC adress stickers on each port… I couldn’t find a way to transfer/edit the MAC so I went ahead and flashed it , thinking I can edit it later if needed

Everything works fine , both Ethernet ports no problem . I have a feeling the MAC address is hardcoded into the ethernet IC on this board . .I might be wrong but working ok anyhow

@90Ninety Hi, glad to hear it all works.

It does depend how you flash the modified BIOS, if you use Gigabyte tools (Q-flash or EFIflash) then the MAC address will not be overwritten, if you use Intel FPT or a hardware programmer then it will erase the MAC. I didn’t have time to make that disitinction initially but it matters not as you have flashed succeessfully. Enjoy your new CPU. :slight_smile:

@chinobino

The gigabyte ‘@Bios’ flash tool will not work with modded bios , it typically detects modifications .
Interestingly I flashed with Intel FPT , but MAC addresses must be intact , since both Ethernet ports work. I spent so much time concerned about this but , it seemed no way to write them other than AMI’s ‘DMIEdit’ which writes edits straight to the chip , rather than a .bin file , hence why I flashed a downloaded rom without editing the MAC

@90Ninety What command did you use with FPT? Did you flash the entire EEPROM?

I have used FPT v12.x to erase/overwrite the MAC address on my Gigabyte Z390 Pro WIFI, I am wondering if something is different with Z170.

@chinobino Hey everyone, I’m not sure if this will fit in here but I already tried to get an answer in other threads regarding this issue (apparently they are all dead lol).
I tried to run a Xeon Skylake (E3 1270v5) on my Asus H110T. However, I wasn’t able to do so with the modified BIOS. CPU-Fan spins very briefly when pressing the power button, but nothing else happens. Can someone help me out?

@lucagiolu Hi, I think you may have more luck using CoffeeTime v0.99 which has a GUI.

You will need to use the Corporate v11.8.77.3664 ME firmware version that comes with CoffeeTime or you can also try using the newer version modified by dsanke:

11.8.94.4494_COR_H_DA_PRD_RGN_Cut.rar

OR

11.8.95.4551_COR_H_DA_PRD_RGN_Cut.bin.zip

From this thread:

Which ME version for Socket 1151 Xeon CPUs on 100-/200-Series?

I actually already used the coffetime utility but in the guide only the Me Recovery Module needed to be removed. So thats the only thing I did. Turns out, I only need to carefully read the documentation and readme to achieve my goal. Replaced the ME firmware with the corporate version you already mentioned. After that, I set the ME state to “disable” (as described in the documentation to get xeons working) and also unlocked the FD locks.
And would you look at that, it boots!
Next step is to get an i9-9900 installed and working lol

2 Likes

@lucagiolu Well done! I hope that board has a decent VRM for the i9-9900.

1 Like

Hey guys!

I’m new to this forum so be nice please :slight_smile: - Or throw rocks at me, i will try to dodge!

Long story short: I dont want to update my whole System as i am happy with as it is, except for the CPU. I’ve seen online, that there a bios mods which allow us to use a newer CPU on old Motherboards. This is my Setup ATM (Just the important stuff):

i7 6700k
Asus Maximus Extreme 8
760 Watt Corsair AX760

Was anyone able to make this kind of combination work? Or maybe has a good idea on what to do? So far i’ve only found guides for AsRock or MSI Boards and many different statements on which CPU will work and which won’t.

Looking forward for a Pro to help me…thanks in advance!

@NeroTheDawn Hi and welcome to Win-Raid forums.

The Asus Maximus Extreme 8 appears to have a very good 8-phase VRM - which is a good start if you are thinking of running a 6 or 8 core CPU.

Asus motherboards usually have protection against flashing a modified BIOS so it is highly recommended to purchase a hardware programmer (such as the ch341a) to flash the BIOS EEPROM and to be able to recover from a potential brick.

You should also make sure you have a complete backup of your BIOS chip that contains the motherboard serial number and ethernet MAC address for the Intel Gigabit ethernet adapter.

You will need to modify a BIOS that has Kaby Lake support, so you will need BIOS 2202 or later.

You can use CoffeeTime v0.99 to easily modify the BIOS as it has a nice GUI and there are fields to insert the serial number and MAC address.

You will need to make sure that the ME FW is version downgraded to 11.7.1xxx (or 11.6.xxxx) and swap the relevant CPU microcodes depending on which Coffee Lake CPU you buy. Make sure to leave the microcode for your Skylake (506E3) or Kaby Lake (906E9) CPU for testing.

Coffee Lake CPUID:
906EA = 6 core
906EB = 2 or 4 core
906EC = 8 core
906ED = 8 core

If you need help with CoffeeTime or have any questions just ask.

Once you have backed up your current BIOS and made the modified BIOS you are ready to flash it to the motherboard. Note that using software to do this is extremely difficult on Asus boards as the Flash Descriptor is often locked and difficult to bypas (read this) so a hardware programmer is highly recommended.

Once the modified BIOS has been flashed you need to test it with your Skylake/Kabylake CPU first and then insulate the motherboard pins before inserting any 6 or 8 core Coffee Lake CPU. There is a diagram of the pins you need to insulate in the CoffeeTime folders (CoffeeTime_0.99\data\info). It is easiest/best to insulate the pads on the back of the CPU with Kapton tape.

You will also need to connect the 2 pins that tell the motherboard that the CPU socket is occupied, for which a car rear window defogger repair kit can be used (although you can use graphite from a lead pencil for initial testing).

@chinobino

I tried to find a ch134a programmer, but when i google it, i only find the ch341a - will this one work as well? Is there anything i have to be aware of when buying one? I am currently looking for a i9 9900k as it seems to be the most powerful version that i can find which should work.

Thanks by the way for the REALLY informative answer, it really helped me and i will surely give it a try!

@NeroTheDawn Hi, yes I made a mistake - I should have said ch341a, my apologies.

Here are some good guides for the ch341a in case you are interested:

[GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer

[Guide] How to Use a CH341A SPI Programmer/Flasher (with Pictures!)

I can’t say for sure that your motheroard will be able to run the 9900K with all core boost @ 5GHz, as it will depend on the ability of the VRM circuitry and the heatsink to keep it cool, however if there is any Z170 board to try it on yours would be at the top of my list (as the VRM and cooling looks very good).

Hey. Just tried using CoffeeTime 0.99 and the most important options are greyed out. What’s up?

what is PCIE patches?what is that on coffeetime?