Users Reports

Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard/pc/notebook: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR
System Type (MB=mainboard, PC=personal computer, NB=notebook, BB=barbone): MB
Chipset and Southbridge of the system: ICH10R
Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI module: Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 + Realtek NIC 2.55
Success: Yes
optional: i contribute the working releases in my git repo: https://github.com/BreiteSeite/mod-bios you can watch it, if you want to get notified for updates.

Good Luck!

Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard/pc/notebook: ASUS Rampage Formula
Chipset and Southbridge of the system: X48/ICH9R
Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI module: Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 and JMicron JMB36x RAID ROM v1.0.7.28
Optional: Remarks (in case of success: noticeable advantage, in case of a failure: possible reason): Intel OROM working successfully with an SSD RAID0. JMicron ROM not tested.

@ berti and quetzalin:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thank you for your report, which I have already integrated into the success/failure table.

Regards
Fernando

Hi Fernando

Many thanks for all your work; being an inveterate tweaker I’ve revelled in this, despite the ‘butterflies’ waiting for boot after my first mod attempt (I’ve done lots now)!

Reports for you:

Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard/pc/notebook ASUS P8Z68-V
System Type (MB=mainboard, PC=personal computer, NB=notebook, BB=barbone) MB
Chipset and Southbridge of the system Intel Z68
Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI module Intel RST RAID ROM 12.7.0.1936+JMicron JMB36x RAID ROM v1.07.28+Intel VGA_PC 14_34_2158
Success: Yes or No Yes
optional: Remarks (in case of success: noticeable advantage, in case of a failure: possible reason) no problems (AHCI with 12.7.0.1022 drivers;single boot SSD;single internal HDD;single eSATA HDD on JMicron)

Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard/pc/notebook Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 rev 1.0
Chipset and Southbridge of the system Intel 965P/ICH8R
Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI module Intel RST RAID ROM 10.1.0.1008+JMicron JMB36x RAID ROM v1.07.28
Success: Yes or No Partial
optional: Remarks (in case of success: noticeable advantage, in case of a failure: possible reason) Mod:No issue. eSATA:No issue. BSOD on boot SSD unless msahci drivers used (same before mod;old 1.20E AHCI ROM) - RAID ROM untested yet as OS reinstall required and it’s my father’s PC built by me!

Hope this is useful

Best Regards

@ IKEN:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thank you for your contribution.
Both BIOS modding reports have been meanwhile transfered into the related table with some minor deviations (hoping that you agree with them).

Remarks:

1. The column “Result” with the options “success” or “failure” means the modding procedure inclusive the flashing of the modded BIOS, but not the solution of special problems, which may been caused by a not BIOS related issue. That is why I have written “Success” instead of “Partial” as result of your Gigabyte BIOS modding.
  2. The generic MSAHCI driver doesn’t use the Intel RAID ROM module at all. That is why I recommend to install any of the Intel AHCI driver instead (best choice: v11.2.0.1006). Maybe this will solve the boot problem of your father’s PC.

Regards
Fernando

Hi Fernando

Absolutely no problem with your changes; what you say makes perfect sense.

Dad’s PC runs fine with the MSAHCI driver; that’s the problem. It originally had a mechanical boot drive and I replaced it with the SSD for him, cloning the original boot partition (aligned, of course) which was using RST driver 10.5 (the last official WHQL release that supported ICH8R). With that or any RST driver overriding the MSAHCI driver, the SSD build would blue-screen before the desktop appeared. I had to re-image the HDD without the RST driver installed before the SSD system would boot successfully.

Swapping to RAID mode in the BIOS made no difference; in fact it was worse as the PC would blue-screen with or without the RST driver - incorrect HAL settings requiring a fresh install, I suspect.
If I was to do that, I’d be tempted to use the 11.2 RST version as modified by your good self. Would you recommend the 11.2 ROM in addition? I suspect it would be too large for the BIOS; the size difference compared to the 10.1 ROM is substantial.

Sorry if I’m going off-topic

Regards

I doubt, that this issue is AHCI driver related. As first step I would do a fresh install of the OS.

Not really. As you already suspect, you will not be able to get it inserted due to the bigger size.

Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard/pc/notebook: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
Chipset and Southbridge of the system: Intel Z77
Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI module: Intel RST RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936
Remarks (in case of success: noticeable advantage, in case of a failure: possible reason)
- BIOS flash was flawless (via Flashback)
- Bootup from SSD was flawless.
- 1/2 of my raid0 drives was not in raid mode anymore (probably because i accidently started with AHCI instead of RAID configuration)
- readdeing the drive to the raid0 was not possible
- created the raid0 new
- formatting the raid0 was not possible (win7 freeze) and it RST-Tools showed up that there are SMART errors (couldn’t look up which one exactly)
- detacching the drive from mb and all works fine.

I had earlier sometimes bootup problem (drive wasn’t ready/readable) on booting, reboot solved it always at the first try. So iam not sure if this drive is indeed damaged and the new ROM is just “stricter”. What’s your opinion Fernando?

As always, the download is available via my github repository: https://github.com/BreiteSeite/mod-bios

@ breiti:
Thanks for your report, which I will put into the related Bios Modding success/failure table.

That is not easy to be answered, but I doubt, that the issue of one of your RAID0 members has been caused by the Intel RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936.
Since I have a very similar system (ASUS P8Z77-V with a RAID0 using the Intel SataDriver v12.7.0.1936) and no problem at all, I recommend to run a specific diagnostic tool delivered by the manufacturer of the drives.

Hey Fernando,

i updated the bios with additional roms.

Updated Intel EFI RAID “SataDriver” BIOS from 11.5.0.1582 to 12.7.0.1936
Updated Intel LAN ROM from v1.3.81 to v1.5.13
Updated Intel VGA ROM from build 2132 to build 2158
Realtek LAN ROM from to v2.43 (08/25/11)to v2.55 (05/08/13

(see: https://github.com/BreiteSeite/mod-bios)

All is working fine (i don’t use integrated vga nor realtek lan). Intel LAN is working fine.

How can i find out if i’m using the EFI RAID SataDriver or the PCI ROM one? So if you want you can add this additional information to your table.

If the Intel SATA RAID Controller is managed by the Intel EFI SataDriver, you will see the section “Intel(R) Rapid Storage” within the “Enhanced Mode” section of the BIOS (you have to hit the right arrow key sometimes to see it).

I will try it (if there is enough space). Thanks for the additional details.

*Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO
*System Type - ASUS Mainboard
*Chipset and Southbridge of the system -AMD 880G/SB710
*Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM -AMD_AHCI-ROM_DEV-4391_v3.1.2.0
-AMD_RAID-ROM_DEV-4392_v3.2.1540.15
*Success: Yes
*optional: Remarks ; The mod created an nice advantage overall,every benchmark went up about 10% and i’m not talking about the diskbenches now,due to my rubish EVGA
X79classified wich is send back to them,i started to figure this modding out on the board i still had.It took me closer to biosses and what was right and
wrong.The board was not stable at all,after flashing it back under DOS with the mobo-cd and did it as told in the manual on the disc . To figure out what the
cause was i’ve tried the different ways as ASUS tells you;conclusion,LiveUpdate & EZflash are a dissaster for your board.Maybe not for once,but after several
LiveUpdate’s and EZflashes it was not 100%rockstable,wen i went back to the Dos-mobodisc method it was always like you just bought it at the store.Also with
the new DarkX79 board i will not flash it over usb again(off course i make one bootable).Disconect everything whats not for any use to flashing .
*The Roms i brought in(1x i made a stupid mistake,perhaps to much info and went terribly wrong,ore maybe the way i absorbed your guide due to language)
i flashed it the oldfashioned way .The bios that was on the board was the 0404 wich felt brandnew,a solid and relaxed one ,no trills or fast flickering when
loading , so ready for a good mod.And overall it was a great succes, i checked it with an older harddisk 80gb(seagate,the first with sata) and normaly it ran
about 35mb,now 45-50mb.Asus Powertune went up to 37-3800mhz(x40 after core unlock) and before it was 33-3400.It boots faster,is stable and a great
efford was made in the complete board.However i want you to ask something;i checked the Device manager several times…before and after,and this popped
up,i never had seen it before…before it looked like this…

IMG_20130702_194719.jpg

…after the driver install like this…

IMG_20130702_192227.jpg

…Can you help me out please…

Thanks for your big contribution you bring to this forum and all the forums before this one,i can remember all those Nvidia modded driverpacks a couple off
years back…Keep up the good Work,and you will see mee around over here…Thanks again…!!!

Gideon(llcoolfeather)

@ Gideon:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thank you for your report! It has already been inserted into the BIOS Modding success/failure table.

Both pictures you have attached are extremely blurred and the details not easy to identify (Tip: It is much better and easier to do a screenshot by hitting the ALT+PRINT keys, to run the Windows tool Paint, to insert the screenshot, to customize it and to store it as .PNG or .JPG file).
The only differences I was able to identify was, that the first picture showed only 2 AMD SATA Controller ATA Channels, whereas the second one shows at least 8 of them (2 x Dual and 4 x Single).
I suspect, that this is a new feature of the updated AMD SATA Controller ROM module.

Regards
Fernando

P.S.: To shorten the access time to the BIOS Modding success/failure table, I have split this thread and put all personal reports into a separate thread.

Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
System Type: MB
Chipset and Southbridge of the system: Intel Z87
Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI module: Intel RST RAID ROM 12.7.0.1936 + Intel UEFI RST RAID ROM 12.7.0.1936 (SataDriver)
Remarks:

Can only flash using Asus USB BIOS Flashback. Using BIOS flash util gives a ‘verification error’. Rename modded bios file to ‘Z87ST.CAP’, put on usb stick, use flashback (see http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/)

@ Remco:
Thanks for your report, which I will put into the related BIOS modding success/failure table.
Regarding your remarks: The fact, that a modified .CAP BIOS cannot be successfully flashed the normal way, is well known. That is why ASUS is offering the “USB Flashback” option for many of their mainboards.

That’s new for me. I come from a Z68 board, which didn’t have that security check. Anyway, if it’s well known. you can leave it out I guess :slight_smile:

Yes, the ASUS Z68 BIOSes are .ROM files and not .CAP ones. That is the difference.

Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard/pc/notebook MSI Q67MA-E45(B3)
Chipset and Southbridge of the system Intel Q67
Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI module Intel RST RAID ROM 12.7.0.1936
optional: Remarks (in case of success: noticeable advantage, in case of a failure: possible reason)

The Original Intel RST RAID ROM Version is 10.5.0.1034.
I use MMtools Aptio 4.50.0.23 to replace the rom into Intel RAID 12.7.0.1936, which download in our forum(here).
The SataTool(Download Here) report my Alternate ID was 1C04(Controller ID 2822).
Then, I flash the MOD ROM to my Motherboard, an interesting thing came up. When I press “Ctrl-I” to enter in the Intel RST interface, I cannot move the section from “6.Exit”.
The same thing happened as I press “Ctrl-S” to enter the PXE interface. It seems that MSI don’t want someone to modify the BIOS modules.
Why say it is success? After flash the MOD BIOS rom, it shows the new Verison, 12.7.0.1936. And I guess it may have some secure check on all bios module, not sure if it is on each module. So I export my Original Intel RST RAID ROM 10.5.0.1034, use UltraCompare tool to compare the one I download from The Digital Life Forum. The Result is, they are totally the same.

At last, comes these questions:
1. Has anyone met something like this before?
2. If it do exist a secure code, how to unlock this? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Later I will post the Original ROM and also the RAID module ROM 10.5.0.1034.

Here comes the Original MSI Q67MA-E45(B3) bios V1.20,
and Intel RST RAID ROM Version is 10.5.0.1034 file, or you can download here.

BTW, I have replaced the New Version of 11.6.0.1702, got the same result.
If I try to replace with New Version of 11.2.0.1527, after boots on it will show “B2” on the right-bottom of the balck screen. I cannot do anything but reset.

E7746IMS.120.rar (6.52 MB)

8086-2822_v10501034.rar (62.5 KB)

Hello jackshell,

welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.
As soon as I have done a deeper look into your attached files, I will try to answer your questions.

Regards
Fernando