Users Reports

Hi! I’m back!

Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard/pc/notebook: ASRock X79 Extreme4
System Type (MB=mainboard, PC=personal computer, NB=notebook, BB=barbone): MB
Chipset and Southbridge of the system: Intel X79
Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI module: Intel RST(e) RAID ROM 14.8.2.2397, Broadcom OROM 17.2.0, Broadcom EFI 17.2.1, ASMedia 106X 0.951, CPU microcodes (SB-E/IB-E)
Success: Yes
optional: TRIM appeares to be working (tested with trimcheck)!

I will deliver benchmarks for all SataDrivers from 11.7 to 14.8 next week.
Either my SSDs are degrading (despite 100% good in CrystalDiskInfo) or performance of 14.8 on X79 is very very weak…

Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard/pc/notebook: MSI X58 Pro-E
System Type: MB
Chipset and Southbridge of the system: X58 ICH10R/D0

Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI modules:
iRST RAID OROM - 10.1.0.1008
JMB363 RAID OROM - 1.0.8.01
Realtek 8168 LAN OROM - 2.64
Westmere-EP uCode Rev. 1A

No luck with newer RST ROM, guess I’m hitting the 100KB limit seen on some other X58 MBs. Got a blinking cursor with a continous beep on all version past 10.1.

A sidenote, RST driver newer than 13.6 seems to cause a hang during boot if used with ROM 10.1 or lower.

Mod is based on a beta BIOS (A7522IMS.8G3), uCode extracted from a Lenovo Workstation BIOS.

Intel Xeon L5640

For those who want to overclock, uCode Rev. 1A performs worse than older revisions, swap it out with Rev. 13/14/15 instead.
There’s a newer revisions I’m aware of, Rev. 1D. These revisions are more focused on addressing security bugs on the chip, so if you’re not really that concerned you can just ignore them.

Since someone asked for the modded BIOS, I’ll just put it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6wS9nK…iew?usp=sharing

There are two known issues:

1. Saving BIOS image with M-Flash will corrupt the filesystem of the USB drive you’re writing to, in the worst case you’ll need to reformat.
This doesn’t happen with the older v8F stable BIOS.

2. Accessing USB drives is SUPER SLOW, it takes a minute to load even GRUB. This affects both booting from USB and M-Flash.
The same was observed on v8F.

Hellow

Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard/pc/notebook:GA-Z77X-U3H
System Type: MB
Chipset and Southbridge of the system: Z77
Bios: F18i date:2014-01-07

Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI modules:
OROM IRST RAID for SATA - 15.0.0.2606
EFI IRST RAID for SATA - 15.0.0.2606
OROM VBIOS SNB-IVB - 2158
EFI GOP Driver IvyBridge - 3.0.1030
EFI GOP Driver SandyBridge - 2.0.1024
OROM QCM-Atheros PXE - 2.0.6.6
OROM QCM-Atheros PXE - 2.1.1.5
OROM Marvell 88SE9192 - 1.0.0.0034

@neophyter :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.

According to my experience it is not a good idea to integrate any Intel RAID ROM or EFI module of the v14 or v15 development line into the BIOS of an Intel 7-Series Chipset mainboard.
For me it doesn’t make much sense to integrate the latest available Intel RAID modules into the BIOS of your “old” system, because it is not fully supported by them. You probably will not get any benefit from these modules, but risk a decrease of your RAID performance and an increase of instability events.
The latest Intel RST(e) RAID drivers and RAID ROM/EFI modules, which do fully support Intel 7-Series Chipset RAID systems, belong to the v13.1.x.xxxx development branch. For details please have a look into the start post of >this< thread.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi fernando, i must say its tru what you say, buts its blazing faster than the stock one "11.6.0.1702"

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully and not correctly quoted text removed (to save space)

You are right: There are better Intel RAID driver and ROM/EFI module versions available for your Intel 7-Series Chipset system than v11.6.x.xxxx, but nevertheless any v14.x.x.xxxx is not a good choice. If you want the best possible performance for your Z77 RAID array, I recommend to insert the Intel RAID ROM module v11.2.0.1527 and to integrate the “classial” Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 into the Windows OS image according >this< guide.

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
Realtek LAN Rom 2.65 = no issues

I tried Intel AHCI-ROM 2.00H and it seems not working (but without or with bad ahci rom it goes MUCH faster for me because I use all 6 ports)

P_20170125_020259.jpg

*Also i try to change bios to AHCI mode but got DISK FAILURE TO BOOT and none in bios. With Intel AHCI-ROM 2.00B the same problems

How it works with Intel AHCI 1.20E:

P_20170125_021036.jpg

P_20170125_020930.jpg

I decided to completely remove Intel AHCI ROM from my BIOS. Any ideas what issues can i have now?
*I use Raid mode with raid1 hhds, raid0 ssds, single hdd and dvd //picture doesn’t show DVD in raid loading screen but it still woking in bios/windows

Hi,

I tried to update my RST option Rom to Intel-RST_RAID-ROM_v10.1.0.1008, but after flashing my ASUs P6T deluxe there is no more CTRL-I to create a Raid. I tried all BIOS Settings for Hours but I could not find a way to do it.
Can anybody help??? i want to use 4 3TB drives in Raid 5 amd the drives a recognized as 750 Gb drives with the original RST 8.00

@Cake :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Did you enter the BIOS and set the Intel SATA Controller to “RAID” mode after having flashed the modded BIOS?

Only Intel RAID ROM modules from v10.5 up are able to see and to manage >2 TB sized RAID volumes. So the inserted Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 will not really help to realize your plan. Please have a look into >this< BIOS modding success/failure table. According to this table it is possible to get the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 properly working with the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mainboard.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi,

I tried the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 just now, but now i can not enter the Bios, after the post Screen I end up with a blinking Cursor (:
any further idea what to try? I resetet bios to factory also, same blinking cursor

Finally i killed my Mainboard, there is no more way to reflash my bios back, Post Screen and then blinking Cursor forever. Not my day no more Server(: i could cry

I suspect, that you didn’t use the latest BIOS, which has been updated by ASUS 1 or 2 years ago for your mainboard to support >100 KB sized Intel RAID ROM modules.

I doubt, that your mainboard has been bricked by flashing a BIOS with an updated Intel RAID ROM. Power off your computer completely for 1-2 minutes, then clear CMOS and restart your system. With the DEFAULT BIOS settings (incl. those for the Intel SATA Controller) you should be able to re-flash the latest original BIOS for your mainboard.

HMM lot of thanks this worked, I could reflash to latest Bios on ASUS Website. This is 2209 but it is from 2010, my board is a P6T deluxe not a v2. For this i cann not find a newer BIOS, as you wrote 1 or 2 years old, do you have any idea where to get this Rom file?

The only company, which is able to offer you a BIOS version, which supports >2 TB sized RAID Volumes, is ASUS.

Ok on there page I can not find a newer BIOS than 2209 which is from 2010, so I just bought a PCI Card 4 port 6GB/s SATA raidcontroller. till it arrives I#ll use my old harddisks which luckily bootd into my Hyper-V :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Lot of thanks for your Support here, have a nice day.

Alex

If you want an updated BIOS with support of >2 TB sized RAID volumes, you have to ask the ASUS Technical Support Team for it. This is what the users of the rather similar Deluxe V2 board have done.

Where can I find EFI 1.1.0.1015 (or newer) for 92xx?

@tormento :

Neither within this "Users Reports" thread nor within the Sub-Foum "Reports: BIOS Modding Results".
You can find the currently latest Marvell BIOS modules within the Files\Marvell folder of the latest UBU tool version (look >here<).

Hello! I have the same board and need this bios mod very much. Could you give me a link please?