Users Reports

@ dj_groovin:

Yes, but I got the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.1527 inserted nevertheless.
This is what I have done:
1. As first step I removed the Marvell LAN ROM shown as 11AB:4364 within the columd “RunLoc”.
2. Then I saved this altered BIOS (only after having finished the removing action by hitting “Save” the free space will be available for other modules).
3. Now I could easily replace the Intel RAID ROM by the v11.2.0.1527 one.

If you really should need the Marvell LAN ROM, you can remove the OEM logo, but you have to save the BIOS, before you replacethe Intel RAID ROM module.

1. Vendor and exact Name of the mainboard
    Asus Rampage III formula
    2. System Type (MB=mainboard, PC=personal computer, NB=notebook, BB=barbone)
    MB
    3. Chipset and Southbridge of the system
    Intel ICH10R
    4. Vendor, Sort and Version of the inserted PCI ROM or EFI module
    Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527
    Success:
    Yes
    5. optional:
    Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 driver and console.
    Two SSDs on RAID0 on the 3G/s port provided by the Intel ICH10R. (not the 6G/s Marvell ports)

This is a great forum. Thanks for the information and quick responses on my questions!

@ tony1024:

Thanks for your report, which has already been added to the BIOS modding success/failure table.

The success that I had was trial and error until I got around the issue of putting a larger orom for the intel in. With the larger Intel ROM first had to replace the Primary Lan which wasn’t hardly compressed with the new one which did compress. But the PCI location in the MMTool list changes from LAN,RAID,LAN to RAID,LAN,LAN! (Also didn’t have to remove any logos or bitmaps to achieve the orom update). And have both LAN’s in place with BIOS LOGO intact. Updating LAN OROM’s to lastest solves the problem of them not working with the 9.x/10.x Intel ROM. Older Marvell Lan ROM’s not working with the 9.x Intel ROM is a known issue. The newest Marvell ROM’s for my board are fully functional but only show up if they are set to enable and selected to boot before the hard drive or other boot device. They detect network cable, MAC address and attempt to boot then times out and goes to next boot device in boot list.

UBU 190

VENDOR: ASUS
MAINBOARD: Z87-M Plus
SYSTEM TYPE: MB
CHIPSET: Intel Z87
OROM IRST SATA: 13.5.0.2164 EDIT by Fernando: Version number corrected
OROM VBIOS Sandy/IvyBridge: 2170
BIOS: v1106 with PMpatch (THX CodeRush!)
OROM Realtek PXE: 2.60
CPU MICROCODE: NO
SUCCESS: YES

I used afudos /gan method with Version 3.06.01!

UBU190.jpg

@ Harzbirne:

Thanks for your report, which has just been inserted into the Bios Modding success/failure table.

Oops, forgot to post some results. Currently:

Vendor and Name of the mainboard: MSI P45 Neo3-FR
System Type: MB
Chipset and Southbridge: Intel P45 + ICH10R
Inserted PCI ROM or EFI module: Intel RAID ROM v13.5.0.2164 + JMB36x RAID ROM v1.08.01 + Realtek LAN ROM v2.60
Success: Yes

@ XIII:

Thanks for your report.
By the way: The insertion of an Intel RAID ROM v13.x.x.xxxx into a BIOS of a P45 Chipset mainboard doesn’t make much sense for me.

I have been updating to "latest & greatest" before I read that you advice older versions for the P45.

Since I’m running the new drivers I thought I might go for the new BIOS as well (I would need to reinstall Windows to get back to the old drivers?).

You can “downgrade” the Intel RAID ROM version and the Intel RAID driver version without the need to reinstall the OS, unless you are planning to “downgrade” both to a “classical” RST version (latest: v11.2.x.xxxx).

You can "downgrade" the Intel RAID ROM version and the Intel RAID driver version without the need to reinstall the OS, unless you are planning to "downgrade" both to a "classical" RST version (latest: v11.2.x.xxxx).

That’s what I thought. But I think that classical RST is actually what you recommend for the ICH10? (11.2)

Since I’m already on the new track I took the latest… Maybe I get another chance when Windows 10 is released :wink:

I recommend this combo especially for Intel RAID0 systems.

Ok, that is a good idea.

Hi,

I’m new here and I would first thank Fernando and other members who participated to bring precious informations on this forum.
So now here is my contribution.

I have an ASRock Z68 Pro Gen 3 (fatality) motherboard.
I was looking for breakdown tolerance and good performances, so I wanted to build a RAID 5 array (6 x 1 Tb 7200 rpm Hitachi HDT721010SLA360). After initialization (approximatively 24 hours) I have created a GPT with 64 kb offset and formatted a 64 kb cluster NTFS partition to ensure good alignment.
Write speed don’t exceed 40 MB/s, read speed is much better.

Obsessed by system optimization (as everyone here) I looked for Intel raid rom updating and I read a lot of useful informations here.
I have used AMI APTIO UEFI MMTOOL 4.5 to mod the latest 2.26 beta bios. Replaced Intel orom 10.8.0.1303 by 12.9.0.2006 version as you adviced. Replaced ASMedia 106x v0.93 rom version by v0.954 too. I have not try to flash the 3.70 version but it seems to be a very bad idea (?).
After flashing this new modded rom my PC has boot successfully, but seems I have lost my parity disk. The missing disk is currently rebuilding, I will then install 12.9.4.1000 driver version and perform speed tests again.

@ Julien84:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I generally do not recommend to update the stock ASMedia 106x AHCI ROM version. Many users had problems with “newer” ASMedia ROM modules (all of them are quite old).

Please give us a feedback after having finished your system optimization.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Just want to share my bios modding results.

Asus Maximus V Gene
MB
Z77
Bios v1903 - UEFI
OROM IRST RAID for SATA - 13.5.0.2164
EFI IRST RAID for SATA - 13.5.0.2164
OROM VBIOS Sandy/IvyBridge - 2170
EFI GOP Driver IvyBridge - 3.0.1027
EFI GOP Driver SandyBridge - 2.0.1024
OROM Intel PXE - 1.5.61
EFI Intel UNDI - 6.4.13
OROM Asmedia 106X - 0.954
CPU Microcode 0206A7 - 28
CPU Microcode 0306A9 - 19
I also inserted ASM 106X rom, which is no present in newer bios version, but it was in older.
All modules are latest versions, except ASM and microcode, for OC purposes.

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
MB
AMD 890GX + SB850
Bios v3030 - non UEFI
AMD AHCI-ROM v3.2.2.0
AMD v3.3.1540.19 non-UEFI DEV 4392 and 4393 (both are present)
JMB36x v1.08.01
Realtek LAN-ROM v2.60
All modules are latest versions.

Zotac Zbox ID18
BB
NM70
Bios B2110313 - UEFI
OROM IRST RAID for SATA - 13.5.0.2164
EFI IRST RAID for SATA - 13.5.0.2164
OROM VBIOS Sandy/IvyBridge - 2165
EFI GOP Driver IvyBridge - 3.0.1027
EFI GOP Driver SandyBridge - 2.0.1024
OROM Intel PXE - 1.5.61
OROM Realtek PXE - 2.60
EFI Realtek UNDI - 2.032
CPU Microcode 0206A7 - 29
CPU Microcode 0306A9 - 1B
All modules are latest versions, except orom vbios, which i believe is custom version in stock bios, so UBU did not replace it.

If there are any newer modules, i would like to try them.

@ Jest:

Thanks for your report.
All your results have been transfered into the BIOS Modding Success/Failure table.

Raid 5 rebuild complete. I have installed IRST driver 12.9.4.1000 and perform few tests :

ATTO_raid5.PNG

Write speed don’t exceed 40 MB/s, is this normal ?

And here is my Samsung SSD 830 plugged on an AS Media 106x SATA port (fw 0.954) :

ATTO_Samsung830.PNG

No, what about your Write Cache settings?
It should look like this:

Write Cache Settings.png

Both boxes are ticked for the drive "Intel Raid 5 Volume".
Delayed write cache is enabled in the Intel RST console.
Have another idea ?

Are you able to enable Write-Back Caching within the RST Console?