Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

I know this may sound ridiculous but I have a newbie question. How do I manually install IRST(e) drivers for my Z77 chipset(for AHCI of course)? I’ve looked at Device Manager but I got confused where I would be installing them at. Should i be updating them through under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section or Storage controllers section?

Thank you.

edit: Okay found the answer in the thread :slight_smile:

Usually you will find the Intel SATA AHCI Controller within the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section of the Device Manager, whereas the RAID Controllers are always within the “Storage Controllers” section.
The exact name of the listed Intel SATA AHCI Controller may be different, but the word “AHCI” should always be within the Controller’s name. If your mainboard has SATA Controllers from different manufacturers (Intel, ASMedia, Marvell etc.) and you are unsure regarding the vendor of the listed AHCI Controller, you should check the HardwareIDs (right click onto the Controller > “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”). The Intel Controllers generally have the VendorID VEN_8086.

After having found the Intel SATA AHCI Controller (whichever name it may have), do a right click onto it and choose the options “Update Driver Software…” > “Browse my Computer for Driver Software” > “Browse” > navigate to the folder, which contains the visible *.inf, *.cat and *.sys files of your desired driver (in the folder root or within a subfolder). Then hit “Next” and let the driver be installed. If the offered driver should not match, you will get a related message.
If you want to replace an already installed driver by an older one, you may get the message, that the best driver is already running. If you want to get the related driver installed nevertheless, you have to force the installation by choosing the options “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my Computer” > Have Disk" > navigate to the driver folder and hit the suitable INF file (here: iaAHCI.inf or iaAHCIC.inf) > “OK”.

EDIT:

Too late for me.

Hi there,

what driver/RST would you avdise for a QM77 Chipset.
It’s an HP EliteBook Folio 9470m with 256GB Micron C400 SED SSD.

I want to do a clean install with Windows 10 64 Bit.

At the moment run Win10 64 Bit (upgraded from Windows 7 64Bit).
I tried RST13 and RST14. But they wont install.
Latest Version which seems to works is 12.9.x
But will those AHCI/iastor F6 Driver be accepted by Windows 10 64 Bit?
Since officially those drivers seem to support only up to Windows 8.1…

Is it also possible to not install Windows with Intel AHCI drivers
and then afterwards just install the RST package which hopefully installs
the AHCI driver and “replaces” the one from Microsoft?
If yes, are there any drawbacks?

thanks in advance

@ realmax:
Welcome at WnRAID Forum!

The latest Intel RST(e) drivers, which natively do support Intel 7-Series Chipsets, are v13.1.0.1058.

Yes, all WHQL certified Intel RST(e) AHCI drivers up to v13.1.0.1058 will be accepted.

Yes.

Yes, you can easily re-convert the in-use AHCI driver to any previously installed MS/Intel AHCI driver from within the Device Manager, but before you are doing that, you have to uninstall the Intel RST Software from within the Control Panel “Add/remove Software” option.
By the way: The Intel RST Software is not needed for AHCI users and may give you a performance drop while working (due to the Services, which are running in the background). That is why I recommend to install the Intel AHCI driver manually from wihin the Device Manager instead of running the installer of a complete Drivers & Software Set.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando

Great, Thanks for the quick response!

I just got 2 questions concerning the bios settings and fresh installation of Win10, before I start.

What to chose?

Boot Mode (1 of those):
at the moment it is a) since this system was originally was installed with Win7.
a) Legacy
b) UEFI Hybrid (With CSM)
c) UEFI Hybrid (Without CSM)

SecureBoot Configuration (2 Checkboxes):
nothing selecting here
a) SecureBoot
b) Clear Secure Boot Keys

I did configure respectively use “Drivelock” with the Micron C400 SED SSD.
So BIOS/TPM/SSD do kind of encryption, without OS noticing i guess…

appreciate the help!

@ realmax:
Since the “best” BIOS settings mostly depend on the user’s special hardware configuration and personal preferences, I avoid to give any advice.
This is what I would do anyway:
1. Set the Intel SATA Controller to “AHCI”.
2. Allow the booting in “UEFI mode”.

Off topic:

Please reduce the length of your signature (to save space within the Forum threads). 3-4 lines are enough for the most important infos. Look into the “Welcome” box of the Forum Portal page.

@Fernando
Thanks very much. You confirmed what I also thought to go for.
Then tommorrow is installation day :slight_smile:

Did cut my signature, thx for the info.

@Fernando
I did clean install Win10 64 on the HP 9470m today.
Did give it the Intel AHCI-Drivers at the install.

Afterwars I noticed in the Device-Manager → Storage-Controllers
there’s the entry "Microsoft-Controller for Storage…"
So the Intel AHCI Controller wasn’t accepted…

Tried to force it again… hit the button “update driver”… then reboot and
then theres is one entry more with warning sign, and still the microsoft one…

I think Win10 doesn’t like those drivers maybe?

Did install the latest version I think (Windows 10 Version 1511 Build 10586.14)

What to do now?

You will see this entry whichever storage driver you will install.

Why do you think so?
Please look into the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section of the Device Manager, do a right-click onto the listed AHCI Controller anf choose the options “Properties” > “Driver” > “Driver Details”.
There you will see the currently in-use AHCI driver.

just today i tried all the modded drivers they wont install on win 10 . however the last official intel RST drivers for my mobo did .

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted text completely removed (to save space)

I suspect, that you didn’t correctly import the signature certificate, before you tried to install the mod+signed driver.

Hello guys,

my Win10 just updated to Build 1511 (Threshold2) and removed all modded/not signed/special drivers and replaced them with standard ones (USB3.0, IRST 13.2 etc).
And there’s the problem now… i used 11.2 for my Raid0 Z77 setup and know with 13.2 the scores are significant lower (dropped at Anvil Bench from 6.6500.xx to 6.000.xx).

Is there any chance to get 11.2 back on my machine without to formating and using ntlite win10 iso?

Thanks for your help!

greetings

According to my own experience there is no other way to get the best performing Intel RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 properly working with Win10.

@ all Intel RAID0 users:
If anyone should ever succeed with the “downgrade” from the Win10 in-box Intel RAID driver v13.2.0.1022 to a conventional Intel RST driver (latest: v11.2.0.1006), please let me know it.

Thanks for your reply…
so it’s totally useless to investigate time to pimp that driver unless ms will fix that updates :frowning:

Which driver should be “pimped” and about which MS update fix are you talking?
By the way: It is always a good idea to do a fresh install of Win10 after having done the upgrade from Win7 or Win8/8.1.

It was Win10 to Win10 Threshold2 (1511) … not an complete OS change :frowning:

@Fernando
Which drivers would be best for Intel 4 Series Chipset and Windows 10?
Is there any version I could/should use or do I have to stick to the built-in drivers of Windows?

Never mind, i took this one (Intel RST(e) v11.7.4.1001 WHQL) which you recommended in the first post.

sorry for doublepost -.-

Does Intel doing joke with user .
There is no txtsetup.oem even intel 32bit Intel RSTe AHCI & RAID drivers v14.0.0.1143 WHQL contain following entries in inf file::
[SourceDisksFiles.x86]
iaStorA.sys = 1,
iaStorF.sys = 1,
;
;WinXP to Win7
[INTEL.NTx86.5.2]
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C02&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C82&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C82&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C83&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C83&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C02&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C03&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C03&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C82&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C82&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D03&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D03&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A102&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A102&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A103&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A103&CC_0106
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D02&CC_0106

The Intel development staff just forgot to remove the XP entries from the INF files.
The latest Intel RST driver, which does support Windows XP, is the “conventional” v11.2.0.1006 dated 05/30/2012. The absolutely required file named TXTSETUP.OEM is missing in all leter released Intel RST drivers.