Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

Thank you Sir , . thanks again figuring me up everything .
Happy New Year (Please Donot mind ,I am little bit late)

Xp is simply fling

Thanks previously msfn users told me that it is impossible to xp on z170 where sir you helped me to figure me out.
MSI doenot provided any driver for xp so i have to find it out my self so i have found those.
AHCI:: Uni intel mode by Fernado
Nlite update packs::
*User_hidden Qfe updatepack(contain all microsoft highpiroty updates):: www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=718ā€¦97cc7fd8be0fc28
*POsready update addon by 5eraph::www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104ā€¦6ed8afc657d1f19
*my own Remove 4GB RAM Limit of Windows XPx86 extend to 64GB addon:: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.phā€¦6ed8afc657d1f19

Chipset : I have used your extracted ones.
LAN ::Used Lan DP lan nightly build by Techdud(all though torrent tracker Contain old stafs)::http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=6663
Masstorage Driverpack(#rd party pack version as i am already intrigating your one) :: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=6622
Misclaneous driverpack all by TechDud
Other with Driver pack solution (online version)
It missed GFX card driver(GTX980) , which i got here::www.kaminata.net/forum/download-modded-wā€¦ble-t92695.html

Hello Fernando!

First of all, thank you and congratulations for your commitment.
I have some doubts about the drivers for AHCI and more.

First, following my configuration:

CPU: Intel i7-2600K
MB: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
hd: OCZ Vertex 3 SATAIII @ + 120gb WD Caviar Black 2TB
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-X-F3-12800CL9Q 16GBXL
GPU: ATI FirePro W5100

At the moment, I use Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I want to move from Windows 7 to Windows10 (x64)

On the MSI website for Win10 x64 exist only drivers for audio device, but I read I can also use drivers designed for Win8 x64.

My questions ā€¦

For drivers "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" on your website, you suggest v12.9.4.1000 (for Intel Series 5 and 6: in my case, I have the number 6 ā€¦ I think).

Citing your source: LINK

THESE are the drivers (drivers \ software) to install ?!

I have another question to ask, but I do not know if you can help
(I know: now are off topic, sorry)

Iā€™m looking for drivers "Intel Chipset Drivers". On the MSI website for Win8 x64 version is available 9.3.0.1021 Durane installation however, the log tells me that the drivers are "Intel (R) 7 Series / C216 Chipset Family" and to me is that my motherboard MSI It is equipped with "Intel (R) 6 Series / C200 Series Chipset Family". As well as on the official MSI, also utilzzando utility "MSI Live Update 6" is suggested Driver 9.3.0.1021

Iā€™m confused!
The website of Intel, the latest drivers available for "Intel (R) 6 Series / C200 Series Chipset Family" is version 9.2.0.1030

I do not understandā€¦

Anyway, I really hope you can help me: at least in the first paragraph on the installation package to AHCI. I format as soon as my PC.

Thank you and Happy 2016!
K

@ Kyashan:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You should better install the WHQL certified variant of this driver, because your Intel 6-Series Chipset system will be natively supported by the original driver.
You can find the WHQL certified driver >here<.
By the way: I donā€™t recommand to install the complete ā€œDrivers & Software Setā€. My tip: Install just the ā€œpureā€ driver manually from within the Device Manager.

These are not real drivers, but just information (=text) files, which contain the information, that
a) the related devices are from Intel and
b) that these devices do not need any driver.
It doesnā€™t matter which Intel Chipset Device INF Files package version you take, the result will always be the same for your old Intel 6-Series Chipset system.
Nevertheless I have attached the latest ā€œold fashionā€ INF files for Intel 6-Series Chipsets for a manual installation from within the Device Manager (in case of a yellow flagged device).

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Intel Chipset INF files for 6-Series.rar (71 KB)

Oh yeah!
Thank you; thank you very much!

I try to understand.
So you advise me to only install ā€œ> 64bit Intel RST (s) AHCI / RAID Drivers v12.9.4.1000 WHQL <[ā€¦]ā€ without also installing the software-set ?! (Console Intel) Without the Intel software, what I lose in terms of features real ?! (I do not use RAID)

"Latest / best RTD (s) of the drivers v12.9 development branch:

> 32bit Intel RST (s) AHCI / RAID Drivers v12.9.4.1000 WHQL <(> MIRROR <)
> 64bit Intel RST (s) AHCI / RAID Drivers v12.9.4.1000 WHQL <(> MIRROR <)
> Intel RST (s) AHCI / RAID Drivers & Software in September v12.9.4.1000 WHQL <(> MIRROR <)

Note: These drivers are dated 07/04/2014 and WHQL certified. They are suitable for AHCI systems from 5-Series and up for RAID systems from ICH8R / M up except X79 RSTe running in RAID mode (DEV_2826). Are only supported Operating Systems from Windows 7 and Server 2008 up.

Best matching Intel RAID ROM / EFI BIOS modules: v12.9.0.2006 "

For instalalre ONLY drivers, I have to go under ā€œDevice Managerā€ and update the drivers for: ā€œIDE ATA / ATAPI> Intel (R) Desktop / Workstation / Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controllerā€ ??? Itā€™s correct?! Correct me if Iā€™m wrongā€¦

Finallyā€¦
For INF Intel Chipset Driver, if I want to upgrade even if you do not notice the yellow flag, where do I go ?!

NOTE: everything is also compatible with Windows 10 Pro x64?!

Anyway, thanks a lot for your precious help!
K

Yes!

You will lose nothing important, but will probably win a better performance (no RST Service is running in the background).

Yes!

If you dont see a yellow flag within the Device Manager, there is no need to install any Intel Chipset Device INF file.

Yes!

NOTE: Since your request has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, I will move our posts into >this< thread.

You deserve a pint of good beer!

Now I just look for the ā€œRenesas USB3.0 Driversā€ that obviously MSI does not provide the official website. Ok, I understand that the motherboard is a product of 2011 (old? Bah!) But leave the development for its users ā€¦ very sad! Heheh!

Thanks again ā€¦ Iā€™ll let you know.
K

Hello, Fernando

I have an pretty old system:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33MHz
Intel DG45ID (Chipset G45 - ICH10R - BIOS 0135) - AMI
2x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-III 7200rpm on RAID 0 (outdated Intel MSM RAID ROM 8.8.0.1009/8.0.0.1038)
4x 2GB Corsair XMS DDR2-800MHz
Windows 7 Pro x64 (all hotfixes 01/2016)

The RST driver on the support page is the 9.6.0.1014
What do you think would be the best RAID ROM module version for it?
Also what would be the RST driver for best performance and/or stability?
And what do you think would the best combo?

Thanks.

The best matching Intel RAID ROM has the exact same version number (v9.6.0.1014), but I wouldnā€™t use it, because both (driver and RAID ROM) are from the first and rather uncomplete RST development branch.

You will find the answers to both questions within the start post of this thread.
The only problem you have is get any newer/better Intel RAID ROM version into your Intel mainboard BIOS (look >here<).

Hey thereā€¦ lots of useful information here, thanks!

Iā€™ve got a pretty ancient machine that Iā€™ve just upgraded to Win7 and am having some RAID issues with it.
It was running some version of RST on Win XP, quite happily, but after installing Win7 I am stunned to find that I canā€™t find an RST driver that will install.
Itā€™s an ICH7R system (ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 mobo with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU).

Many years ago I used the Matrix drivers, but at some point I found a newer driver (RST) which worked - so long ago I canā€™t remember which one.
The Intel driver update tool (which I installed and tried earlier today) was totally useless - it only offered me a chipset INF file (unless of course I need to do that first and then other stuff will work??) but nothing at all for the RAID interface.

Right now the machine is only running on one of the two drives from the RAID1 array (I wanted to get Win7 fully running before rebuilding and blowing away the 2nd drive, which still contains XP), so I suspect that if Iā€™m stuck it would be safe to just swap over to the other drive (making certain the Win7 drive is disconnected!) to try and check what driver version was running OK on XP - BUT Iā€™m a bit concerned that the RAID chipset might have NVRAM and thus might complain that the old drive is invalid, having already seen it offline on previous bootsā€¦ Any ideas if thatā€™s safe?
Failing that I might be able to stuff the drive in another machine to look at the contents.

So far though, from the Intel website I have downloaded and tried:
- the 14.8 RST driver - wouldnā€™t work, but it kindly told me to look in the log file from which I worked out that it doesnā€™t support ICH7R. Fair enoughā€¦
- the 11.7 RST driver - also wouldnā€™t work, but didnā€™t tell me why. I then noticed, in the readme.txt for it, that it requires a Celeron/Pentium/vPro CPU which seems pretty bizarre. Itā€™s not clear to me if my C2D qualifies (I would never call it a Pentium and indeed Intel donā€™t either :)), and I was guessing that this was the problem until I read someone else in this forum mention using a C2D happily with the 14.8 driverā€¦ But if that wasnā€™t the problem then Iā€™m stuck and could use advice, please! :-))
- the 8.9 Matrix driver: this seems to be working, but itā€™s ancient and I seem to remember my system being somewhat unstable in the past until I updated to an RST version.

Advice greatly appreciated folksā€¦

@ Neilski:
Since your Intel ICH7R SATA RAID system is natively not supported by any modern Intel RST(e) RAID driver from v11.5 up (which are using an additional SCSI driver named iaStorF.sys), I recommend to use one of the following conventional Intel RST drivers
a) Intel RST driver v10.1.0.1008 WHQL or
b) "Universal Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed by Fernando"
You can find both drivers within the start posts of in the related threads.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

OK, brilliant, thanks!
I will try that later today.
(I did already check my other disk btw and found that XP was using 11.2.)

The crazy thing is that Intelā€™s own docs for 11.7 say that it does support ICH7R. They are fibbing, by the sound of itā€¦

PS: why on earth do Intel not list RST 11.2 drivers for Windows 7 on their website any more? There is nothing between Matrix 8.9 and RST 11.6 :-S

PPS: the other thing which has just struck me is that I didnā€™t load any drivers during OS installation - didnā€™t think this was needed, since the setup was able to see the raid volume. But the Intel README.TXT makes me think I might be wrong about this, which would mean I still canā€™t install 10.1/11.2 without a complete OS reinstallation?

Update: 11.2 worked perfectly (didnā€™t even need the modded version) - thanks so much Fernando! This resource youā€™ve put together here is fantastic.

(It compensates wonderfully for Intel having dropped the ball pretty badly and making the lives of their customers stupidly difficult - in my case, both by saying that 11.7 supports ICH7R when it doesnā€™t, and then compounding it by no longer providing the RST version that actually does work on my hardware!)

PS: my ROM is waaay old btw - v5.6.xxx - probably not much point in upgrading?

Probably not, because your Intel ICH7R SATA RAID Controller has another DeviceID, which is not supported by the newer Intel RST RAID ROM modules.

Gosh, thatā€™s good to know! Frees me from even having to consider wasting another day mucking about with it :wink:

Dear Fernando!

First of all, thank you very much for this wonderful thread and your forum in general! Iā€™ve just registered and about to start exploring your forum for top-notch quality info just like in this thread :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve always taken my time picking and installing latest/best drivers for my systems but Iā€™ve ALWAYS been puzzled by Intel RST drivers, which would often refuse to install on some of my older (and even relatively modern) machines. This thread was absolutely godsend!

Recently Iā€™ve been searching drivers for my ASUS N56VJ in order to downgrade to Windows 7. When it came to Intel RST, I first checked the ASUS driver download page which had version 11.7.0.1013 listed as the ā€œlatestā€. So I went ahead and downloaded currently latest Intel RST driver (14.8.0.1042) from Intel website. After receiving ā€œThis platform is not supportedā€ message I started googling and luckily quickly found this thread. However, it turned out that the chipset in my laptop is kind of ā€œspecialā€. In device manager it says Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family, but despite saying ā€œ7 Seriesā€ I was unable to install driver version 13.1.0.1058 which you recommend for this series. Then I tried your other recommended version 12.9.4.1000 (which is for 5- or 6-Series as I understand) and it installed successfully! Thank you!

Iā€™ve decided to use software version because I like its neatness and donā€™t think my laptop will slow down by much since I am running Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB.

Iā€™ve also noticed you have modded versions of Intel RST drivers. Would there be any reason for me to try any of them? As far as I understood the performance difference is quite marginal. Thanks in advance!

@ XSCounter:

Yes, as long as your system is running fine with your currently in-use Intel RST(e) driver and software, I recommend to leave everything as it is now.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello fernando,
your forum and the informations from you are really stellar. I developed a method to fasten pcs beyond their limits (see signature) and the final icing on the cake would be the usage and integration of the best Intel AHCI drivers.

I would like to test your different mods on all my test machines with different benchmarks - here the chipsets:

A Lenovo T61 ICH8M-E
B Dell Inspiron ICH9M
C Nvidia GF 9100M

I want to avoid unnecessary tests, so I thought to do the following:

You say, your favorite sequence is 11 - 12 - 13 - 14

So I would test in this order:

Original PC with original settings
your 11 mod without my method (your favorite)
your 12 mod without my method (maybe worse)
your 14 mod without my method (probably the worst)

the same again with my method

Do you have any suggestions to improve my order of tests?

Of course, I will send you the result of my investigations.

many friendly greets and my big respect what you have realized here!!! Exemplary!!

Elmar

@ Hyperion:
Hello Elmar,
it is a big pleasure for me to welcome you as an old Station-Drivers friend at Win-RAID Forum and to await your benchmark comparison tests running different Intel AHCI driver versions with different old Intel Chipset systems.
If you should need any not yet published mod+signed Intel AHCI driver version, please let me know it.
Kind regards
Dieter

Thanks backā€¦

Yes, I am interested in mods not running in free wilderlife yetā€¦

I imagine, it could be wise, if you mod god tell me, what to test with the mentioned chipsets. I am the system optimizer, you the chipset optimizer.

What do you think of writing me a short list of drivers to throw in a really hard mud run?

And I promise you, I will make it dirty for themā€¦ :wink:

Yes, really dirtyā€¦ :wink:

So, what do you want to have tested with the mentioned chipsets?

Elmar